share rss forum feed

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
reply to SwedishRider

Re: [SNOW] The Winter 2012/2013 Thread

So how large of a propane tank does it have on-board?

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

said by meskinct:

So how large of a propane tank does it have on-board?

Nice. You laugh... but I actually did ask the dealer if Husqvarna made a propane model before I bought my Rider.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to gregamy

Well, I know I'll take some flack for this... but now I'm kinda hoping for a few good Snowzilla storms this season... I'm looking forward to getting back on my snow thrower rig.

Snowstorms are actually kinda fun now believe it or not.

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to gregamy

SwedishRider See Profile-

Why don't you take that puppy about 5 or 6 hours north and get some seat time in? I'm sure some folks up there might welcome a break from their 'fun'.

I see no reason for the rest of us to suffer just so you can have a few hours of machine ecstasy.
--
Rich. My Website

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by meskinct:

I see no reason for the rest of us to suffer just so you can have a few hours of machine ecstasy.

I know, I know... I agree... I feel ashamed.

But it is fun to use...

Glenn
I'D Rather Be Skiing
Premium
join:2000-10-05
Wallingford, CT
reply to gregamy

Looks like some snow could be on the way tomorrow....

gregamy

join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT

Yay.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

1 recommendation

reply to Glenn

Snow thrower time!!

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

I'm happy that you're happy about your new machine. Tito... well, not so much.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
reply to gregamy

Connecticut DOT snow accumulation for the 2012-2013 season is here - »www.dotdata.ct.gov/WeatherRoundU···ndex.HTM

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

1 recommendation

reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

I'm happy that you're happy about your new machine.

Yet again, that thing was a beast with the snow. It was a pretty wet and heavy snow even in the early morning, and the Rider never clogged or bogged down. It was shooting snow 30-40 feet (maybe more... I really don't know). I did spray it with that stuff from Dupont to aid in slipperiness, so I'm sure that helped. And it handled the snow buildup at the end of the driveways with ease (it was HEAVY). And the AWD was just amazing. No slippage or loss of traction after 2 full driveways on steep slopes with very slick conditions both going up and back down.

I am in awe really. I would have bet that no chains or wheel weights would have equaled no usable snow thrower, but it just kept on trucking. I didn't have time for pics or vids today, but I'll look to get some if I have more time in the future. This thing is ridiculous!!!

tito
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Chapel Hill, NC

1 recommendation

reply to gregamy

Pretty much a bust in my neck of the woods, Harddrive. It's raining now, so I don't think it'll stick around very long.

62 more days until Spring, but who's counting? I know you're not a big fan of it either, as are a bunch of others on here, so I take comfort in the fact that there are other 'normal' ones out there who would not miss this crap if it didn't happen here.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

Something appears to be brewing for Tuesday of next week. A few weather outlets have mentioned a "big storm", but being in the midst of today's mess... didn't want to elaborate (and that was probably the right thing to do).

It's way too early to call, but it'll be a deep freeze next week... and apparently... this one could be huge...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to gregamy

Upon further review, looks like Tuesday is a non-event event. Maybe a few flurries, but nothing of consequence... but temp looks to be brutally cold!!!

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to gregamy

Grumpy's crystal ball: March will yield a history making snow event,
the likes of which rarely seen in recorded history.

See also: Climate in radical change vs. our lack of prep for same.

See also also: Front page Hartford Courant a gleeful photo of JimCT
throwing snow 50' onto neighbor's driveway, with house aglow in
gen set revelry.

That is all...

Additional predictions: $0.50.
Drop coins in greasy used McDonald's cup.
Thank you.

chris
Poor Impulse Control
Premium
join:2000-08-13
Middletown, CT
reply to SwedishRider

said by SwedishRider:

Upon further review, looks like Tuesday is a non-event event. Maybe a few flurries, but nothing of consequence... but temp looks to be brutally cold!!!

I know it's early but they are saying Friday might bring a big "snow event"

tito
Premium
Chapel Hill, NC
reply to gregamy

That chance of snow needs to come out of the forecast for next Friday, I'm supposed to go to Hartford. Every time I try to plan something, it decides it wants to snow. It's like Winter knows I don't like it, so it has to screw with me!

58 more days until Spring. Wish I could point my TV remote out the window, hit the fast forward button, and make it get here faster!

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by tito:

That chance of snow needs to come out of the forecast for next Friday...

Unfortunately, that chance of snow is looking increasingly more likely as the models develop the longer range forecast. Still too early to call... but I'd have a backup plan in place...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to Grumpy

said by Grumpy:

Grumpy's crystal ball: March will yield a history making snow event,
the likes of which rarely seen in recorded history.

See also: Climate in radical change vs. our lack of prep for same.

See also also: Front page Hartford Courant a gleeful photo of JimCT
throwing snow 50' onto neighbor's driveway, with house aglow in
gen set revelry.

That is all...

Additional predictions: $0.50.
Drop coins in greasy used McDonald's cup.
Thank you.

Nice!

tito
Premium
Chapel Hill, NC
reply to gregamy

No backup plan, just won't go. Not driving up to Hartford if there's going to be SUCK (which is what I shall now start calling it, since it keeps goofing up my plans).

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to gregamy

As a weather sidenote, I used to be a Weather Underground devotee, but as of late... they have REALLY gone downhill with their local forecasting. I just checked the forecast for Friday's potential snowstorm, and wunderground.com says it will be "overcast" with a 0% chance of precipitation. Um... compared to just about every local news station that is currently saying snow (some saying about a foot or more)... I'd say that forecast is a bit off. And that has been their trend as of late with all storms, snow or otherwise.

Lately I've been impressed with WXedge.com. No weather outlet is going to be on the money all the time, but Channel 8 has built a pretty good weather site with lots of useful, local info that is frequently updated.

Anybody got any really good, reliable weather sites? I'm about to scratch Weather Underground from my bookmarks.

gregamy

join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT
reply to gregamy

2-4" overnight?

Seems like this year is a middle one, between the last two: just enough to be annoying to me, but not enough to be satisfying to Glenn!

tito
Premium
Chapel Hill, NC
reply to gregamy

Still hopeful that Friday one decides to stay out to sea where it belongs! 57 more days until Spring, but who's counting?

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by tito:

Still hopeful that Friday one decides to stay out to sea where it belongs! 57 more days until Spring, but who's counting?

Not looking like the case. 6"-12" shoreline, 8"-14" inland starting Friday afternoon and rolling through Saturday morning.

»www.wxedge.com/articles/20130121···w_update

You know what that means...

tito
Premium
Chapel Hill, NC
reply to gregamy

According to a tweet on Fox61's website, latest GFS model run shows the storm barely grazing us with a non-event. Let's hope that trend continues!

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

1 recommendation

said by tito:

According to a tweet on Fox61's website, latest GFS model run shows the storm barely grazing us with a non-event. Let's hope that trend continues!

Yeah, it's looking more and more like a low impact event (a few inches at this point). Your plans may yet be intact tito.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric

Well Jim, if you really REEALLY want to induce a sizable storm --

Put the Husqy into storage, drain the fuel and oil, pull the plugs, fog the cylinders, and put it up jack stands.

Heat shrink wrap it like the boats do? Blizzard of '13.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

You know Grumpy, you read my mind. I was just thinking that if I dismount the snow thrower and mount the mower deck... we'll get Blizzardzilla 2013!!

Though that would make many in this forum justifiably upset..

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT

1 recommendation

Don't.....

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to gregamy

Looks like another dusting tonight. There's a good rainstorm coming for the middle of next week. It will cool off after that, but I don't think it'll stay that way. There's a lot of up-and-down in the long-range forecast for early February.