Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy

Re: [SNOW] The Winter 2012/2013 Thread

meskinct, I swear I won't take that blower off until at least May... I am done with snow for this year.. what a ton of work to clean up this mess!!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 7F0gNzxo

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Do they make some kind of protective cab/enclosure for the rider?
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Harddrive:

Unfortunately, not yet.

Rumor is that they will offer one soon, as the European models that are almost identical to mine have them available.. but not it the states as of yet. I did catch some blow-back with the winds being so wicked... comes with the territory I suppose.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940 to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
Click for full size
Im on a private drive, the drive has been plowed but my driveway hasn't been. I don't think the guy will get here til Sunday.

O.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT

geek to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Uh huh. Still looks like a cool machine. I didn't catch a shot of the beer holder being used though.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

4 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

-

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
Southbury, CT

geek

Premium Member

Huh? If there is a true emergency call 911.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
After 30+ years with little to no snow in CT, snow plow operators largely went out of business. Now we get what used to be a normal snowfall, and there's a shortage of plows doing business.
40-50 years ago, I remember school buses driving kids to school in this weather, with chains on the tires, sounding a bit like sleighbells "chink, chink, chink".. People of this generation are all like Floridians--they've never seen or driven in snow. Even '78 was nothin compared to the snow we had in the late '30s and on up to the early '60s. 3' + was a normal snowfall for the region. I reckon after the sunspots settle down, we'll be seeing colder winters again. The last 33 years have been rather mild, with rare exceptions.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

There was a person trying to get up our hill before the storm got bad and there was 2 or so inches on the road. They had to get a ton of help while they had summer tires on their sedan.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
said by disconnected :

Even '78 was nothin compared to the snow we had in the late '30s and on up to the early '60s. 3' + was a normal snowfall for the region.

And you have what to support this "3' + was a normal snowfall for the region"?

gregamy
join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT

gregamy to Harddrive

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

Craftsman makes one for my ride ($300), but I make do with a moto helmet...saving my money for beer...

gregamy

gregamy

Anyone recall the discussion we had a couple years ago regarding roof rakes? I can't seem to find it now. There was a company out in the Midwest that made a clever rake, one that slid under the snow and let it fall back across some plastic.

I swore two years ago I'd buy one once the demand subsided, but like all good intentions I forgot about it. Now it's forefront in my mind I want to order one for the future.
gregamy

gregamy

And a final note before I go outside and start working again...please take some time today to clear your roof as much as possible.

We are expecting rains tomorrow, freezing rain early. Today, while sunny, is not going to get warm enough to drop that stuff down. All that snow on your roof is going to absorb that moisture and everything will get a lot heavier. Our homes, if built to code *should* withstand it short-term, but there's no real reason you should go outside today in the sun and attack that stuff as much as you reasonably - and safely - can.

- GA

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Have you heard the rumor of another major storm on Thursday/Friday? Two storms colliding again.

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy

Yup. Right now it's nowhere near as certain as this storm was, four days prior to it. Only one model (GFS) is showing another hit (but much lighter), other models (inc. the Euro, which recently has been the good one) are indicating it moves out to sea and we get nothing.

I don't think if we get anything at all that it will be NEAR like this last one.

Just walked outside and looked at my roof. Ugh.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
I interpreted that possibility in the long-range GFS model last week. The current GFS has something off the coast Thursday and something from the Great Lakes on Friday-Saturday, neither one looking like a big deal. While I'm trying to remember exactly what the monster that just buried us looked like in the GFS models last weekend, I'm sure it was equally unimpressive.

We'll have to keep an eye on the Euro model today and tomorrow, since that's the one that saw the blizzard first. The GFS didn't agree with the Euro until mid-week.
bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

bennor to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
said by gregamy:

Anyone recall the discussion we had a couple years ago regarding roof rakes? I can't seem to find it now. There was a company out in the Midwest that made a clever rake, one that slid under the snow and let it fall back across some plastic.

I swore two years ago I'd buy one once the demand subsided, but like all good intentions I forgot about it. Now it's forefront in my mind I want to order one for the future.

I remember that thread. There was a run on them that year, and people were running around in a panic trying to find stores that carried them.

Looks like it will be days before some are plowed out.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

2 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I hope everyone is doing ok.

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy

Found it. Ah, the good ole days...

»Snow - Roof Rake with wheels

Say, where in the heck is Glenn...?
gregamy

gregamy

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Finally free!! One of our neighbors brought a very huge bulldozer and bulldozed the whole street lol. Still slippery since it wasn't plowed but good enough till or if they come.

Still waiting for the town to plow our road..... tick tock

All the other roads around us have been cleared by the town except for ours.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Just a friendly reminder to anyone who has propane, make sure the discharge point of your primary and secondary regulators are cleared of snow. It will affect performance and be a potential danger in the unlikely event of a regulator failure.

For underground tanks, make sure the tank has been uncovered, both for delivery purposes as well as to make sure the regulator has proper ventilation. Given the rain and freezing we'll see... best to do it before it's covered in a complete sheet of feet-thick ice!

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy

Ok, you caught my attention. I have a 120-gallon tank outside my garage...what am I looking for? Just that everything inside that hinged lid is clear?
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Close up of the bottom side of a regulator. Make sure the screen is in place and nothing is blocking it.
In your case (which is a single stage system), yes, that's all you need to do. For larger systems, you want to make sure the vent discharge point is clear for both primary (at the tank) and secondary (at the house) regulators.

If snow freezes and air can't get in there, serious pressure distortions can occur and it can overpressurize or underpressurize the system. Worst case scenario is if the regulator completely fails, it has nowhere to dump the excess pressure... and can lead to a dangerous situation. Malloy always says to check your side discharge furnace vents, but for a propane system... this is just as important.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
Southbury, CT

geek

Premium Member

All set. We had to do some poking around the yard to find the tank cover. Ended up digging it out twice but it's all set. Still at 45% left in the tank. Hoping to get through until spring before we need a fill.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by geek:

All set. We had to do some poking around the yard to find the tank cover. Ended up digging it out twice but it's all set. Still at 45% left in the tank. Hoping to get through until spring before we need a fill.

Good deal. You should be fine really. That's 450 gallons in there. Barring some weird anomaly, you should be able to make the rest of the winter and still have the minimum 20% in there.
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Just for the record, I want everybody to know that I have kept my snow thrower on my Rider since the blizzard and intend to keep it on there until probably May.

Having said that... a "major disturbance" may be in the works for this weekend (Feb 16-17). Euro and GFS models are both seeing it as a big one: »www.wxedge.com/articles/ ··· ore_snow

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

tito24
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Chapel Hill, NC

tito24 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
According to Fox 61, latest computer models show this storm just brushing the area with a couple inches at the most. Hope that track continues! We don't need anymore 3@#%! snow!!!!!
bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

bennor to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Another storm brewing for this weekend?