join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive

Re: [SNOW] The Winter 2012/2013 Thread

said by Harddrive:

I'm happy that you're happy about your new machine.

Yet again, that thing was a beast with the snow. It was a pretty wet and heavy snow even in the early morning, and the Rider never clogged or bogged down. It was shooting snow 30-40 feet (maybe more... I really don't know). I did spray it with that stuff from Dupont to aid in slipperiness, so I'm sure that helped. And it handled the snow buildup at the end of the driveways with ease (it was HEAVY). And the AWD was just amazing. No slippage or loss of traction after 2 full driveways on steep slopes with very slick conditions both going up and back down.

I am in awe really. I would have bet that no chains or wheel weights would have equaled no usable snow thrower, but it just kept on trucking. I didn't have time for pics or vids today, but I'll look to get some if I have more time in the future. This thing is ridiculous!!!

tito24
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Chapel Hill, NC

1 recommendation

tito24 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Pretty much a bust in my neck of the woods, Harddrive. It's raining now, so I don't think it'll stick around very long.

62 more days until Spring, but who's counting? I know you're not a big fan of it either, as are a bunch of others on here, so I take comfort in the fact that there are other 'normal' ones out there who would not miss this crap if it didn't happen here.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Something appears to be brewing for Tuesday of next week. A few weather outlets have mentioned a "big storm", but being in the midst of today's mess... didn't want to elaborate (and that was probably the right thing to do).

It's way too early to call, but it'll be a deep freeze next week... and apparently... this one could be huge...
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Upon further review, looks like Tuesday is a non-event event. Maybe a few flurries, but nothing of consequence... but temp looks to be brutally cold!!!

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

1 recommendation

Grumpy4 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Grumpy's crystal ball: March will yield a history making snow event,
the likes of which rarely seen in recorded history.

See also: Climate in radical change vs. our lack of prep for same.

See also also: Front page Hartford Courant a gleeful photo of JimCT
throwing snow 50' onto neighbor's driveway, with house aglow in
gen set revelry.

That is all...

Additional predictions: $0.50.
Drop coins in greasy used McDonald's cup.
Thank you.

creativebias
Poor Impulse Control
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Middletown, CT

creativebias to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Upon further review, looks like Tuesday is a non-event event. Maybe a few flurries, but nothing of consequence... but temp looks to be brutally cold!!!

I know it's early but they are saying Friday might bring a big "snow event"

tito24
Premium Member
Chapel Hill, NC

tito24 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
That chance of snow needs to come out of the forecast for next Friday, I'm supposed to go to Hartford. Every time I try to plan something, it decides it wants to snow. It's like Winter knows I don't like it, so it has to screw with me!

58 more days until Spring. Wish I could point my TV remote out the window, hit the fast forward button, and make it get here faster!
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by tito24:

That chance of snow needs to come out of the forecast for next Friday...

Unfortunately, that chance of snow is looking increasingly more likely as the models develop the longer range forecast. Still too early to call... but I'd have a backup plan in place...
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
said by Grumpy4:

Grumpy's crystal ball: March will yield a history making snow event,
the likes of which rarely seen in recorded history.

See also: Climate in radical change vs. our lack of prep for same.

See also also: Front page Hartford Courant a gleeful photo of JimCT
throwing snow 50' onto neighbor's driveway, with house aglow in
gen set revelry.

That is all...

Additional predictions: $0.50.
Drop coins in greasy used McDonald's cup.
Thank you.

Nice!

tito24
Premium Member
Chapel Hill, NC

tito24 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
No backup plan, just won't go. Not driving up to Hartford if there's going to be SUCK (which is what I shall now start calling it, since it keeps goofing up my plans).
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
As a weather sidenote, I used to be a Weather Underground devotee, but as of late... they have REALLY gone downhill with their local forecasting. I just checked the forecast for Friday's potential snowstorm, and wunderground.com says it will be "overcast" with a 0% chance of precipitation. Um... compared to just about every local news station that is currently saying snow (some saying about a foot or more)... I'd say that forecast is a bit off. And that has been their trend as of late with all storms, snow or otherwise.

Lately I've been impressed with WXedge.com. No weather outlet is going to be on the money all the time, but Channel 8 has built a pretty good weather site with lots of useful, local info that is frequently updated.

Anybody got any really good, reliable weather sites? I'm about to scratch Weather Underground from my bookmarks.

gregamy
join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT

gregamy

2-4" overnight?

Seems like this year is a middle one, between the last two: just enough to be annoying to me, but not enough to be satisfying to Glenn!

tito24
Premium Member
Chapel Hill, NC

tito24 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Still hopeful that Friday one decides to stay out to sea where it belongs! 57 more days until Spring, but who's counting?
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by tito24:

Still hopeful that Friday one decides to stay out to sea where it belongs! 57 more days until Spring, but who's counting?

Not looking like the case. 6"-12" shoreline, 8"-14" inland starting Friday afternoon and rolling through Saturday morning.

»www.wxedge.com/articles/ ··· w_update

You know what that means...

tito24
Premium Member
Chapel Hill, NC

tito24 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
According to a tweet on Fox61's website, latest GFS model run shows the storm barely grazing us with a non-event. Let's hope that trend continues!
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by tito24:

According to a tweet on Fox61's website, latest GFS model run shows the storm barely grazing us with a non-event. Let's hope that trend continues!

Yeah, it's looking more and more like a low impact event (a few inches at this point). Your plans may yet be intact tito.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Well Jim, if you really REEALLY want to induce a sizable storm --

Put the Husqy into storage, drain the fuel and oil, pull the plugs, fog the cylinders, and put it up jack stands.

Heat shrink wrap it like the boats do? Blizzard of '13.

XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

You know Grumpy, you read my mind. I was just thinking that if I dismount the snow thrower and mount the mower deck... we'll get Blizzardzilla 2013!!

Though that would make many in this forum justifiably upset..

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT

1 recommendation

geek

Premium Member

Don't.....

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Looks like another dusting tonight. There's a good rainstorm coming for the middle of next week. It will cool off after that, but I don't think it'll stay that way. There's a lot of up-and-down in the long-range forecast for early February.

tito24
Premium Member
Chapel Hill, NC

1 edit

tito24 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Rain for mid week, but it looks like it might start off as a sloppy messy mix late Monday into Monday night. Just wonderful.

On a side note, it looks like my dream of leaving Connecticut & going to a warmer climate might (possibly!!!!! Hopefully!!!!) be becoming a reality. I hope so, can't take much more Winter. It gets worse on me every year.

52 more days until Spring. Please quit dragging your feet & get here already! Seems like it's taking waaaaaay too long this year!

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected

Anon

Winters have been mild in CT since 1980, relative to earlier years.. the freezes we had back in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s were awful. -26F quite a few times. Now we barely break zero here. The only good reason to leave CT might be to escape political persecution by the expanding gov burocracy we got here.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Well, It's official. The prognosticator of prognosticators has called for an early spring.

Guess there's no need for my snow thrower anymore... time to swap it out with the mower deck. I'll get right on it this weekend.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
'Round here, that torrential rain of a few days ago fairly cleared away all the visible road salt along with whatever other car killer chemical is mixed in to make the salt work at less than 20 F.

The walkway to the platform of the Wassaic, NY train station had at least a 1/2" deep of salt on it. That oughta be enough.

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy

Snowstorm Possible For Connecticut On Friday

"The chances are increasing of a significant snowfall across Connecticut on Friday, with some areas possibly getting more than 6 inches of snow..."

»www.courant.com/news/con ··· 44.story
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
WXedge.com reported that the latest run of the Euro model shows CT getting 1-2+ feet!

tito24
Premium Member
Chapel Hill, NC

tito24 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
42 more days until Spring. Still unsure of the countdown until my possible Southern move, but will have to find out. Gotta get out of Connecticut!
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
WXedge.com this morning: "If data stays the course, we could absolutely be talking about a storm that would rival some of the past great snow events."

I might need to put the snow thrower back on after all....

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

geek

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I might need to put the snow thrower back on after all....

Damn you for removing it. See what happens? We almost made it through winter but noooo someone had to mess around.

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I might need to put the snow thrower back on after all...

You did NOT remove that thing, did you? Boys, I think we have a new anti-snow target...

I'm not too worried about the snow, I'm more concerned about the timing. My employer INSISTS that I'm sitting my butt at my desk*, regardless of weather, and if this thing hits big-time while I'm twiddling my thumbs at my desk then I can't get into my driveway. No place to park on the street so I get screwed on what to do and how to get home to clean the driveway.

I'm in IT. I can do my job from home and no one would know. But I "have" to be there.... - GA

* During one of the big snows two years ago, my manager insisted that I come to work to be able to attend a meeting in one of our conference rooms...that was being held with other locations via GoToMeeting...