gregamy

XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
15"-20+" in northeastern ct... and it could go higher statewide: »wxedge.com/articles/2013 ··· d_quincy

gregamy
join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT

gregamy

Yeah, some weather-pron forums I frequent are going ballistic over this one. Bantering around words like "historic" and "1978". Models right now are showing a lot of snow east of a line HVN-BDL-BAF, with 18-24+ and gale-force winds out at the Cape.

If it keeps trending this direction, this one's gonna be a wallop.

tito24
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Chapel Hill, NC

tito24 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Gotta stop watching, everytime I do, it's worse than the time before!

41 more days until Spring. Please hurry!!!!!!!!!
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
said by gregamy:

Yeah, some weather-pron forums I frequent are going ballistic over this one. Bantering around words like "historic" and "1978". Models right now are showing a lot of snow east of a line HVN-BDL-BAF, with 18-24+ and gale-force winds out at the Cape.

If it keeps trending this direction, this one's gonna be a wallop.

Gosh, and I still haven't gotten around to putting that snow thrower back on yet...

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Gosh, and I still haven't gotten around to putting that snow thrower back on yet...

Take your time, you deserve the leisure. You can start working on it late Friday afternoon...PLENTY of time...
bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

bennor to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Click for full size
Looks like the snow totals shifted for my area (New Haven), upwards. Yesterday they predicted 12 to 18, this morning its 18 to 24. With winds at 25 to 35 with gusts up to 60.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 edits

Grumpy4 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy

CT River at Middletown, Saturday am

Glenn en route to Vermont ski slopes

JimCT Thursday night

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

geek

Premium Member

Since you forgot, I'll just add a picture of myself at the beach.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

1 recommendation

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Grumpy pic, Saturday noon time.

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy

Holy Jeebus (the swaddling clothes one, not the older bearded one)...the 1PM Euro just came in, and it's nasty. >2" qpf just about all of southern New England, >2.5" Eastern CT/RI/SE MA.

The average - average! - ratio of snow to liquid is 10:1...and this snow is looking to be toward the lighter side. We're talking 2 feet+ of snow pretty much all across southern New England, over a 18-hour period, with gale-force winds, blowing snow.

This is going to be seriously dangerous stuff, folks. True "blizzard" conditions. You do not want to be outside, especially on the roads, from mid-day tomorrow through the morning Saturday. Stay home, drink rum, and keep the pets on a leash. Saturday night we can all swap stories.

Me, I'm coming to work tomorrow in the Urban Assault Vehicle and leaving as soon as I can sneak out. Unfortunately, the subsequent 24 hours will be spent regularly shoveling snow off the enclosed trailer and the flat-roofed garage...that's 25 feet off the ground...in gale-force winds...yeah, I'll have video.

- GA
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4

Nice Grumpy! That is how I feel tonight.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
You guys don't get lake effect so consider your self's lucky

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium Member
join:2002-04-08
CT

Nightwing to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
I just ran out and bought a snowblower tonight so I am sure this storm is just going to fizzle out and miss us.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Did you run up to Lisbon and get one at Lowes? Wife almost bought me a new one today up there. I was kinda glad she didn't. It's something that I want to pick out even though we might be moving this year. I'll just hang tight and not buy one. I think I might have used mine once last year if that.

Nightwing
Premium Member
CT

1 recommendation

Nightwing to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
No, I got it at Home Depot. It's a 24" Ariens. I don't mind shoveling the minor snowfalls but I am getting to tired of shoveling the 1 to 2 foot snowfalls. What kills me the worst is when the plows bury the end of my driveway, I am really tired of that.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

4 edits

1 recommendation

Grumpy4

Premium Member

I'm 55 years old (I think?) My first encounter with snow blowers was only 5 years ago.
It was definitely a "where has this thing been all my life?" experience.

Way off topic time -- Across the street from where I work lives a kind old lady. When a tree blew down at the boss's house one Summer, the boss told me to take some wood to her as she burns wood for heat.

I called Miss Barbara and asked what length fire wood does she prefer. Her reply: "Oh, I have a chain saw - it doesn't matter."

So I regain consciousness, get up off the lawn and then ask her: "Do you want me to split it?"

She replied: "That's OK, I have a splitter."

Ms. Barbara is 84 years old. That's right, eighty four.

So I get home later and says to da wife: "I'm going to open a school for wives, and make Ms. Barbara the Dean."

Wife was not amused at this scintillating attempt at domestic humor.

Yesterday I'm out pruning the ends of some evergreens to fatten them up come Spring, and I tell Miss Barbara I'm leaving my post to pursue another career come Monday. We chat for a while. An hour later she's standing behind me. In her hands -- the prettiest Hasselblad camera I've ever seen. I mention Apollo 11. She replies - "Oh yes, this is the same exact model." My aunt was her best friend in high school, class of 1947. She wanted a pic of my mug for posterity's sake I suppose. I even took off my cool guy shades so she could capture my very distinguished triple layer eye bags. (Cough!)

I love people. They can so surprise you when you least expect it.

What does this have to do with snow? I was thinking I'll slip over there Saturday and cut her a path or two with the boss's snow blower. It's not that I'm such a saint as much as in 10 minutes I can do what would take 2 hours with a shovel. I mean, we are talking 18 to ? inches of snow. I wouldn't be surprised if she's already out with a shovel, throwing snow 20 feet up over her head.

Even more OT! I had an inkling to go buy tire chains yesterday, and so stopped at Tractor Supply on my way home. No luck - they don't stock on-road chains for the variety of inventory would be too great. So I'm thinking, hmmmm - can't be too hard make some simple wrap around the holes in the rear wheels, 4" bolt and nut to cinch 'em? The wheels are junk yard borne, & used for the snow tires only, so a few gnaw marks on them is no big deal. Called brother to get his thoughts before throwing $50 to the wind. He mentioned some slack is required so that when the tire deflects, chain will not burst or damage tire. Loose chain vs. inflation stem shear won, so no chains for me. I'm still grappling with the geometry of his prediction, but best to err on the side of caution when pre or post blizzard navigation is a deciding factor. Glad I called him. Changing two flat tires in a blizzard with one spare? Now there's a story the grandchildren would have enjoyed, had I lived to get home that is.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Click for full size
Well folks, I think I've held off long enough.... time to head out and mount my snow thrower.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Well folks, I think I've held off long enough.... time to head out and mount my snow thrower.

"Looks at map"
Oh... my... "Head explodes"

I don't know who to believe since they're all saying different things.

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy

So whadya got out there? Let's keep some regular tallies. Looks lie we started get snow in earnest late morning, and I've got a couple inches of the fluffy stuff OTG right now. Not too much wind...roads are passable (I just drove home from Hartford) so get what ya gotta get right now, then stay home.

sirchief
Premium Member
join:2001-12-14
Cromwell, CT

sirchief

Premium Member

A little over 2" in Cromwell. Grass just starting to get covered.

We just had a reverse 911 call from the PD saying to stay off the roads for at least 24 hours.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Wife's friend got a call from CL&P about an hour ago. Pre-apology auto-call stating that if you required electricity to start seeking alternatives.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Harddrive:

Wife's friend got a call from CL&P about an hour ago. Pre-apology auto-call stating that if you required electricity to start seeking alternatives.

I just measured 1.5", but the evening is young.

I got that call too. As far as power failure... I have my GenTent on, generator is in place and hooked to propane and electrical system, and ready to rock with one pull! I just need to clean the snow around it once in a while, but that top is rated for 65mph winds and 18" of heavy snow.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

3 edits

DrStrange to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
From the way the storm presents on radar, my semi-educated guess is that the worst of it will be east of a line from Bridgeport-Meriden-Hartford-Springfield-Concord, NH and northeast. West of the line, I'd guess 12 to 18 inches. To the east, 2 to 3+ feet is possible. Total snowfall depends on how much dry air folds in on the back side of the storm. More dry air earlier in the storm will tend to suppress snowfall. High winds will also be a significantly bigger problem east of the line.

FWIW temp is 30F and dropping here now after staying near 32F all day. No rain expected here.

EDIT: Storm took a bit of a left and ran dead at us in central CT. Worst of it will be in the CT Valley. It should head off toward Boston later tonight, but this storm seems not to have heard of what a normal big snowstorm should do, so far.

sirchief
Premium Member
join:2001-12-14
Cromwell, CT

sirchief to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
Click for full size
The snow is good for something!

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Don't let the cops catch you riding those around. They'll turn you into First Responders and a transport team.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

1 recommendation

Grumpy4 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
NW corner report -- started snowing around 8 am. 10 hours later, 1/4" accumulation. Non-event in progress? I stopped at McD's for a coupla salads for dinner. Speaker voice: "Sorry, we're closed due to the storm." I'm thinking, a 1/4" of snow = a storm?

Well by cracky back in my day we would walk uphill a 24% grade for 16 miles in 8' feet of snow in our bathing suits just to shovel the railroad tracks with teaspoons for the coal trains, by the cheesus.

Nightwing
Premium Member
CT

Nightwing to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
I have gotten just shy of a foot so far. The consistency of the snow is changing. It is getting fluffier. Have seen some lightning flashes but haven't heard any thunder yet.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Heard it up north of you. I've gotten about a foot so far as well. I think I've been out 4 times already just trying to keep ahead of it.