spc
Search similar:

uniqs

gregamy
join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT

gregamy

Re: [SNOW] The Winter 2012/2013 Thread

Man, we have this deathdband of snow parked over central CT...it's snowing like a mother in Middletown. Yardstick on the rear deck is showing 11" total so far...I need to go out and clean the roof of my box trailer, but not in this wind...

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by gregamy:

Man, we have this deathdband of snow parked over central CT...it's snowing like a mother in Middletown. Yardstick on the rear deck is showing 11" total so far...I need to go out and clean the roof of my box trailer, but not in this wind...

It's coming down so heavy . I haven't measured but it seems like we have around 14 inches to be honest O_O. We had to have gotten a foot within the past 2-3 hours.

It literally looks like feathers are falling from the sky.

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium Member
join:2002-04-08
CT

Nightwing to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
I have at least 16 or 17 inches now and it is still coming down pretty hard.

Diogenes
Qui Me Amat, Amet Et Canem Meum
Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
Southbury, CT

Diogenes to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
For your town's totals

»www.dotdata.ct.gov/Weath ··· t_S9.HTM

gregamy
Middletown, CT

1 recommendation

gregamy

Just spent an hour-and-a-half cleaning 2 feet of winter wonderland off the top of my trailer, as well as trying to get the blower out to the end of the 150-foot driveway. Didn't do a good job of that last one; my 26hp tractor was grunting trying to get that stuff blown. The street isn't even plowed yet.

CT won't be going anywhere for a while.

- GA

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium Member
join:2002-04-08
CT

Nightwing to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
It seems like I am getting some rain mixed in with it now.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
I heard thunder about 11:30PM, I think.

In the too stupid to breathe category, they had some lady and her boy friend stuck on the side of the road, with police and a TV crew, telling folks she and her boyfriend went to the bar tonight and got stuck on the way home.

O.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
I'm looking out now, and i have drifts that have to be over 3.5'.

And a solid 6+ hours of snow left to go.

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy

Wow. Just...wow. Everybody safe? Take your time clearing today, we're not going anywhere any time soon.

Glenn, where are ya, buddy? We're here for you, man! The Big Event and you're not around...?

That's a 7-ft-tall Ford Excursion in the background with 2-3 feet of snow on top of it, with a buried Nissan NX2000 coupe in front of it (see the radio antenna sticking out?) Yeah, we got some snow here in Middletown...

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

We're stranded here .

Dell User
Premium Member
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT

Dell User to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
They claim 17" here. Looks about right. There's a line down
that goes across the street to the house next door, but we still have power here.
(CL&P site indicates about 70% of town without.)
Will venture out a little bit and see if I can get to the snow blower out of the shed.
Stay safe all.
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

Kommie2 (banned) to gregamy

to gregamy
It stopped snowing four hours ago. Why are they waiting for Malloy to wake up to start plowing ?

gregamy
Middletown, CT

gregamy to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

We're stranded here .

Yeah, I think everyone is. My 150-ft driveway is covered, and I'm waiting for this last band of snow to move eastward before I start working. This is going to be an all-afternoon job.

But don't cry for me: I've got plenty of beer left in the fridge. I'm good 'til about Tuesday.

- GA
gregamy

3 recommendations

gregamy

Watching our governor's press conference on TV. I think I just figured out the sign language for the word "uuuuhhhh"...

mjmack
You Shall Not Pass
join:2001-11-05
Connecticut

mjmack to gregamy

to gregamy
We have about 30 inches in Vernon and its still coming down pretty good at 11:30. Just spent three hours clearing most of my driveway and two of my neighbors. Time for a nap

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
Windsor, CT

1 recommendation

orion940

Premium Member

Click for full size
About 2' here, the beagle plows were out first thing clearing a path.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

geek

Premium Member

I guess about 2 feet total in Southbury. Lost power at 8:20pm last night but it came back on around noon today. Generator did fine as usual. Driveway is done, deck is done. Road was plowed around around 10am. Plan is to sit and drink for the remainder of the day.

Is winter over now?

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Our road still hasn't been plowed since 3pm or so yesterday :/. Anyone else still stuck?

Ender3rd
join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

Ender3rd to gregamy

to gregamy
Click for full size
23 inches
I measured an average of 23" here in East Granby. It took my wife forever to shovel it out. Hey, is there such thing as a "silent" snow shovel? She was making a scraping noise that kept waking me up as I slept in. All the roads appear to be plowed out in the area as my road is usually the last one to get cleaned up out here.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
If I had an ATV with a plow, I could have it paid off by the end of the weekend after charging $50 a driveway.

»www.facebook.com/US.Nati ··· .ERH.gov
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to gregamy

Premium Member

to gregamy
meskinct, I swear I won't take that blower off until at least May... I am done with snow for this year.. what a ton of work to clean up this mess!!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 7F0gNzxo

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Do they make some kind of protective cab/enclosure for the rider?
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Harddrive:

Do they make some kind of protective cab/enclosure for the rider?

Unfortunately, not yet.

Rumor is that they will offer one soon, as the European models that are almost identical to mine have them available.. but not it the states as of yet. I did catch some blow-back with the winds being so wicked... comes with the territory I suppose.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
Windsor, CT

orion940 to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
Click for full size
Im on a private drive, the drive has been plowed but my driveway hasn't been. I don't think the guy will get here til Sunday.

O.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
Southbury, CT

geek to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Uh huh. Still looks like a cool machine. I didn't catch a shot of the beer holder being used though.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

4 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

-

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
Southbury, CT

geek

Premium Member

Huh? If there is a true emergency call 911.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
After 30+ years with little to no snow in CT, snow plow operators largely went out of business. Now we get what used to be a normal snowfall, and there's a shortage of plows doing business.
40-50 years ago, I remember school buses driving kids to school in this weather, with chains on the tires, sounding a bit like sleighbells "chink, chink, chink".. People of this generation are all like Floridians--they've never seen or driven in snow. Even '78 was nothin compared to the snow we had in the late '30s and on up to the early '60s. 3' + was a normal snowfall for the region. I reckon after the sunspots settle down, we'll be seeing colder winters again. The last 33 years have been rather mild, with rare exceptions.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

There was a person trying to get up our hill before the storm got bad and there was 2 or so inches on the road. They had to get a ton of help while they had summer tires on their sedan.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
said by disconnected :

Even '78 was nothin compared to the snow we had in the late '30s and on up to the early '60s. 3' + was a normal snowfall for the region.

And you have what to support this "3' + was a normal snowfall for the region"?