Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Just got the iPad Mini

Just picked up an iPad Mini at Verizon Wireless yesterday and I used their installment plan to pay for it. I had to put it on a new line of service on my ShareEverything plan because they told me that I could not put it on the line that is occupied with the MiFi since that is under contract and it has to do with the agreement with Apple.

Oh Well, another $10 per month on my Verizon bill. Just need to get a case and have a screen protector put on at Best Buy when finances allow. I'll pay Best Buy Geek Squad to put a screen protector on as it is cheap insurance because I tend to mess them up.

Pretty impressive device although the display is not as clear as it's full sized cousin the iPad 3.

I'll be eligible for an upgrade on my iPhone 4 next week so I am planning on buying the iPhone 5 either next week if I can bill it to the account or when I get paid next month. I already bought my OtterBox for the new phone.

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

Re: Just got the iPad Mini

$10 for how many gig? I had to switch to Share Everything for an extra $15 to get 4 gig, unlimited minutes and text on 3 phones and the Mini.
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by gjrhine:

$10 for how many gig? I had to switch to Share Everything for an extra $15 to get 4 gig, unlimited minutes and text on 3 phones and the Mini.

My data plan is the $70/4GB plan and that is shared between an iPhone 4 (soon to be iPhone 5), two dumb phones (mom & grandma), a MiFi, an iPad 3 and an iPad mini. My mother gives me the $60 for the two dumb phones ($30 each phone). It was cheaper to put mom and grandma on my Verizon ShareEverything plan than it was to have a separate AT&T account for them. Grandma misses her old AT&T phone, if I throw a new gadget in her face, it's a pain in the butt teaching her how to use it as she is 80 years old and not used to new technology. It would be nice if I could reprovision the cell phone she is used to to work on Verizon but AT&T uses GSM where VZW uses CDMA.

Even worse, Time Warner is going all-digital in Maine and teaching her husband (who has dementia) how to use an interactive digital cable box (when he is used to the days of plugging the cable into the back of the TV and using a simple remote) will be real fun...NOT.

The remotes these days have more buttons on them than the Space Shuttle. Hopefully TWC will have DTA converters like Comcast has in my area. Those are designed with the elderly in mind as they work and feel like the set-up they are used to. Or if they could just have a simple remote with power, channel up/down and Volume up/down and a number keypad to punch in a channel manually and disable all the interactive stuff on the box.

There is an old saying "It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks".

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

said by IowaCowboy:

My data plan is the $70/4GB plan and that is shared between an iPhone 4 (soon to be iPhone 5), two dumb phones (mom & grandma), a MiFi, an iPad 3 and an iPad mini.

Wow I am not getting that. Ours is more like $190 with all taxes and fees for 1 dumb phone, 2 smart phones the Mini and 4Gb. I will have to look at the first bill and see how that breaks down.
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by gjrhine:

said by IowaCowboy:

My data plan is the $70/4GB plan and that is shared between an iPhone 4 (soon to be iPhone 5), two dumb phones (mom & grandma), a MiFi, an iPad 3 and an iPad mini.

Wow I am not getting that. Ours is more like $190 with all taxes and fees for 1 dumb phone, 2 smart phones the Mini and 4Gb. I will have to look at the first bill and see how that breaks down.

My plan is as follows.
Data: 4GB $70
Dumb phone: $30
Dumb phone: $30
iPhone 4: $40
MiFi: $20
iPad 3: $10
iPad Mini: $10

Total $210 before taxes. Mom and Grandma have handset insurance on their dumb phones @ 5.99/month per phone.

I am thinking of ditching the insurance on the dumb phones as it costs a total of 143.76 over the life of the contract and it costs $249 to replace a Samsung Convoy II at full retail.

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

Ok I guess I misread before. That sounds about right. Our $190 cost (includes taxes & fees) also includes a certain (can not remember how much) % discount because it is a corporate plan for the wife's Blackberry.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by gjrhine:

Ok I guess I misread before. That sounds about right. Our $190 cost (includes taxes & fees) also includes a certain (can not remember how much) % discount because it is a corporate plan for the wife's Blackberry.

My mother used to get a discount on her AT&T account (because she works for the local school district) but it was still more expensive for her to have a separate account through AT&T (even with her government employee discount) than to add her to my Verizon account (she used to have the $89.99 Family Talk plan with 1400 minutes on two phones with a 15 percent discount). Now it costs $60 ($30 per dumb phone) to add them to what I am already paying with Verizon (and they get unlimited talk and text instead of the 1400 minutes with the risk of overages).

It's a good thing that we got a better deal on mom and grandma's cell phones because mom took a reduction in hours due to budget cuts. They don't use any data (other than mom likes to take pictures with her phone and she uses MMS to send them to her E-mail).

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

Yes figuring out cell plans these days is rocket scientist stuff.