how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bestjsg

join:2002-03-13
Markham, Ont

[Homephone] existing no. port out

can Bell refuse to let my existing home phone no. being ported out to a voip company ?

and if the voip company makes any difference in success rate ?

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
No, CLECs and ILECs (Bell being the latter) are required by CRTC regulation to offer LNP. Your choice of VoIP company that will be porting in the number doesn't matter (except some may take longer than others).

bestjsg

Markham, Ont
I ask AIC voip to port my number and they just told me that Bell told them my number cannot be transferred, is there something/someone I need to reach out to ?

anonn

@206.172.0.x
Depend where you live. Some region are portable some are not.

Where does your number belong to?

Put it here : »www.localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php
exemple.. npa 514 nxx 201 is a montreal number.

If i go here. »www.crtc.gc.ca/cisc/eng/port_quebec.htm I see that montreal is portable.. so you can port..

so do the same thing with your number.
If is not in the list, your number is not portable.

bestjsg

Markham, Ont
thank you very much.

so the first link is to find out what Rate Center my number is ?

It shows , Gormley ON GMLYON20RSA

then I go to the second link, I found Gormley is on list (by the way I thought I live in Markham...) , so that means my number is portable ?

bestjsg

Markham, Ont
reply to anonn

so the first link is to find out what Rate Center my number is ?

It shows , Gormley ON GMLYON20RSA

then I go to the second link, I found Gormley is on list (by the way I thought I live in Markham...) , so that means my number is portable ?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Your number is portable if the following conditions are met:

1) Your phone number is active (can't be disconnected)
2) Portability is available in your exchange
3) The provider you're porting to has an interconnection with Bell in your region
4) Your number is NOT a pager number.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

bestjsg

Markham, Ont
thanks for the info.. Please see below,

1. it is active.
2. how do I check portability is available at my exchange ?
3. so a small voip company would most likely NOT have an interconnection with bell I assume ?
4. it is a home land line.

thank you again..!

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
You can check for portability at:

»www.crtc.gc.ca/cisc/eng/port_ontario.htm

Your VoIP provider likely will not have interconnections with Bell, but the underlying CLEC they use likely would.

You can get more information at:

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t1025.htm

In general, any phone company must allow you to port OUT your number (in areas that are equipped for LNP), but some phone companies may not allow you to port IN a number.
--

bestjsg

Markham, Ont
reply to bestjsg
so I checked the links provided in the above replies (thanks!!) looks like my city Gormley should be on portable list, so maybe just my voip provider not willing to fight with Bell or something ?

would it be feasible to ask a cheap prepaid provider such as PC mobile to get the number ported out first then have the voip try port it out from the prepaid company ? are there restrictions as to how many times can a number be ported in say 30 days ?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
Porting from Bell is the simplest. There should be no fight. We port a few hundred numbers a month from them. There's obviously something specific to your VoIP provider that is preventing them from servicing you. Maybe they just don't have service in your area.

For example, if you asked us to port your number, I'd have to say no because we don't have services in Gormley.

There is no limit on the number of times a number can be ported. I had trouble porting my cell number from my wireless carrier (we don't have arrangements fully in place with all the wireless guys) so I simply had another CLEC port it to their network for me, then I ported out from them 5 minutes later.
--

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
you can also put a note on your account to "prevent" port out, look into this two

bestjsg

Markham, Ont
reply to bestjsg
ok for those who are still following...I ended up just call Fongo and have them confirmed that they can port my number from Bell , it will take 2-4 weeks with a one time fee for $ 25, I can then have all calls forward to my new voip number with no monthly fee going forward, seems to be the best solution at the moment...provided that they can really port my number out..

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to bestjsg
2-4 weeks? Holy crap. LNA Type P orders should be 2 days.
--

bestjsg

Markham, Ont
not sure why but oh well whatever, hope that is just a way to avoid disappointment or something..

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
2-4 weeks is a scham so they can bill you for usage. i used to port numbers it takes a few mins, to an hour at most. 2-4 weeks is usually a sign of companies who are lazy
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

bestjsg

Markham, Ont
yeah most likely a lazy company but after this $ 25 , there will be no more monthly fee etc, and I get to keep the number for free and call forward all calls to my land line to my new voip number..

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
yeah its good as long as the voip server doesnt go down but when it does then thats when people start to complain and wish they paid a proper provider who has 99.999 percecnt uptime
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

bestjsg

Markham, Ont
yah I get what you mean, however, my home land line is now dedicated for the spam callers ..LOL ...friends would text me or call my cell, want to keep the number just in case for old friends and old family members, so no big deal if the number/server died for I guess days...

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

2-4 weeks is a scham so they can bill you for usage. i used to port numbers it takes a few mins, to an hour at most. 2-4 weeks is usually a sign of companies who are lazy

As per the C-LOG, Wireline to Wireline or Intermodal (Wireless/Wireline mixed port) is 2 business days, with Day 1 being the day of the order if it is received before noon, and Day 2 being the next business day.

Without an expedite, you cannot port Wireline numbers in a few minutes or hours.

You're thinking of Wireless to Wireless ports, which have a whole different set of rules.
--