Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to kherr

Premium Member

to kherr

Re: My Structured Wiring Enclosure

said by kherr:

[ There is also no reason to run Cat5 or 6 for voice. Just run a 4-wire flat cable. You aren't going to have any performance difference for phone conversations ]

Around here you have to use at least cat3 for phone. I thought that was national, but may not. It's my understanding that the usual 4 wire round cable (untwisted, red black green.yellow) was phased out years ago.

You use cat3 only if you want. Otherwise in your house you can use whatever you want.
You do realize that there are millions of homes using the old 2 pair non-twisted don't you? Their phones work. Also there are millions of miles of underground cable that has been in use for decades long before cat anything.

Why put that high dollar wiring in a home and feed it with the same old? You're never going to have anything better than what your source is.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

I'm just going by what the inspectors have said for years and years. You can use anything you want and it will work. They normally just use cat5e around here. Why have several different kinds of wire when they all cost basically the same. The better outfits use white for communication and blue for data.

You can use 14 gauge wire in the wall and it will work too, but if the code says 12, you use 12. If you don't use what is called for in code and get called on it, it's you that is fucked. Hell knob 'n tube wiring works too, but you don't see any new installs with that.

Out with the old technology in with the new

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by kherr:

Out with the old technology in with the new

I'm just saying the new technology will do nothing if you have the same old crap coming in. That's all.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

At the current rate of wireless phones, phone wiring may become extinct. But then again you might have a central device that receives the signal and distributes it to the house wiring. Then there's always Voip which I think will always be, at least for some time to come .........

Oh what the future holds .........

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
I had a hard time setting up my VoIP on 2 pair flat cable and the single pair nylon cord.