uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3
reply to pnh102

Re: Walmart Strike and Thanksgiving Opening!

Walmart workers get straight pay for working today, and some are forced on the shift by taking a normal day away and putting them in on the thanksgiving shift.

Those emergency service workers you mentioned proboly all have unions. Train Engineers like those on Amtrak are Federal Workers and have the day made up as a comp day for vacation.

Those truck drivers, who do they work for ? Subcontracted?

When we had the Blue Laws, everything was closed on Saturday and Sunday(Plus Holidays), I think it was a lot healthier for the populace

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

said by Kommie:

Walmart workers get straight pay for working today, and some are forced on the shift by taking a normal day away and putting them in on the thanksgiving shift.

So? Jobs are a bit scarce these days. Would these people prefer to be unemployed? When you work part time, of course you will make only regular pay unless you hit 40 hours a week. This has been basic US labor law for at least what, 70 years now?

We'd all love to make a six figure salary but at the end of the day we are paid what our employers think we are worth.
said by Kommie:

Those emergency service workers you mentioned proboly all have unions. Train Engineers like those on Amtrak are Federal Workers and have the day made up as a comp day for vacation.

Lol unions... Given what they have done to companies like GM, Chrysler, and Hostess, as well as industries like US manufacturing, textile, steel and many others, perhaps Walmart management thinks it might be a good idea to avoid them.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
quote:
So? Jobs are a bit scarce these days. Would these people prefer to be unemployed?

Sorry but being subjected to abuse as opposed to being fired is not a valid choice. People deserve to have a livable work environment.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
said by CXM_Splicer:

quote:
So? Jobs are a bit scarce these days. Would these people prefer to be unemployed?

Sorry but being subjected to abuse as opposed to being fired is not a valid choice. People deserve to have a livable work environment.

Absolutely. America needs a stronger labor law, something most of Canada has. Walmart didn't last very long in Quebec.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
said by DataRiker:

Absolutely. America needs a stronger labor law ...

China agrees with you too.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to pnh102
Pulling out of this discussion. Enough said.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to pnh102
Some people think I am blessed, because I only work 13.5 hours on 3 days on weekend nights and then get 4 days off. They don't understand working nights for long hours is hard and when you take those days off you don't get those days full because you're used to sleep in late. I start before midnight and end at noon, so the earliest hours I feel ready to go is 7am. Yes, sometimes I can adjust and get up earlier but not often. I would rather work 5 days a week and get 2 days off on weekend.

My vacation days are adjusted from 2 weeks to 1 week for this schedule. I think its the same everywhere.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102
The solution is simple, and doesn't need to be based on Blue laws.

The answer is to merely legislate that non-essential industries have to pay 3x+ normal wages on certain national holidays.

Problem solved. Fast food joints, Gas stations, and other retail/service type stores would close on those days, rather then pay the employees a fair wage to compensate them for their sacrifice.

Everybody happy. Holidays, and no lost sales--- they'd get them all the next day.

Simple-- Pro-family, pro-worker. This is why it will never happen.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

said by KrK:

The solution is simple, and doesn't need to be based on Blue laws.

The answer is to merely legislate that non-essential industries have to pay 3x+ normal wages on certain national holidays.

Ironically what you describe are just Blue Laws in another form.

Who gets to decide what industries are "essential" or not? And what about the workers in these "non-essential" industries who are in a position of being able to make some extra money working on the holidays and now won't be able to? Why should they get screwed?
--