Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Guspaz

Re: Cooptel Fiber to the home

You're certainly better versed in this topic than me, but I want to point out that in pt claire, I cannot get any fib service higher than 25/10, so no, I cannot get d-town speeds where I live.
Maybe OP is just happy to have one more supplier choice.

I agree that 10meg fibre w/75g cap is not great at all.
However looking at the competition, the offerings are crap too.
Unless the point is to say a big FU to bell......
--
~ Project Hope ~

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
said by EUS:

You're certainly better versed in this topic than me, but I want to point out that in pt claire, I cannot get any fib service higher than 25/10, so no, I cannot get d-town speeds where I live.
Maybe OP is just happy to have one more supplier choice.

I agree that 10meg fibre w/75g cap is not great at all.
However looking at the competition, the offerings are crap too.
Unless the point is to say a big FU to bell......

I live in the heart of downtown in a 250-unit highrise smack dab in the middle of the most densely populated neighbourhood in Quebec (Shaughnessy Village, AKA New Chinatown, in the Ville-Marie burough, which is so dense because it has incredible numbers of highrise apartment buildings), and I can't get any faster than 25/10 either.

That's the fastest's Bell's DSL services go. Everything above that is fibre-only, which has an extremely limited deployment (most or all new deployments are fibre, conversion of existing network is slow). You should still qualify for the faster cable speeds, although sadly Videotron has nothing but crappy upstream options.

The thing is the cost of building out all this infrastructure and then saddling it with slow speeds and tiny caps doesn't really make sense. It makes me wonder if CoopTel aren't all that competent.

-----

For reference, Shaughnessy Village has a population density of about 27,000 per square kilometer, which is almost double the density of Hong Kong Island's 16,000, but less than Kowloon's 44,000. This is because the neighbourhood is a bit under half kilometer square with a population of 13,000 people.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
I didn't know the higher tiers relied on fibre. For some reason I thought there was one more dsl tier out there.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

For reference, Shaughnessy Village has a population density of about 27,000 per square kilometer, which is almost double the density of Hong Kong Island's 16,000, but less than Kowloon's 44,000. This is because the neighbourhood is a bit under half kilometer square with a population of 13,000 people.

»www.globalnews.ca/pages/topicNew···42578231

St. Jamestown in Toronto is one of the densest in all of North America - 60,000 per sq km. Parts of the upper East Side in NYC are denser, but not by much.