grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

grohgreg to Raminto

to Raminto

Re: [HN7000S] What is a HN7000SM modem?

Nope, rate code is a function of transmit signal strength and quality as quantified at the gateway. All things being equal, a 4/5 rate at one gateway should be a 4/5 rate at any other gateway. That said, I wasn't aware that the DW7000 actually had an adaptive inroute.

You may be thinking of the difference between DVB-S and DVB-S2 outroutes. That's what used to determine whether the Modcod line showed up in the 7000 series stats. Gateways/transponders that hadn't been upgraded to S2 would not produce the Modcod line. S2 upgraded gateways/transponders would

//greg//

Raminto
join:2006-02-28
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

Summary

Ranging Stats
Thanks for the replies

I troubleshooted this now for a week and I cannot find anything wrong on my end. For what it's worth I paste the advanced page.
What puzzles me is that the Target EsNo for ranging at 1/2 is 120.
I also checked out another system with the same configuration:
HN7000s, 2watt, .98meter dish, 127W/1381, same gateway. This site as well cannot range higher than 1/2.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

2 edits

grohgreg

I don't have Updated Commissioning Rules more current than last March, but at that time 1381 was listed as DVB-S. Assuming those stats are from the HN7000SM, that also explains why the Modcod line is missing. It goes on the empty line to the right of IQoS ID.
Rate Code = current adaptive inroute mode
Modcod = current adaptive outroute mode
Adaptive coding only works through transponders/gateways that have been upgraded to DVB-S2. Apparently the only inroute mode available through DVB-S is 256k 1/2

//greg//

Raminto
join:2006-02-28
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

said by grohgreg See Profile
Adaptive coding only works through transponders/gateways that have been upgraded to DVB-S2. Apparently the only inroute mode available through DVB-S is 256k 1/2

//greg//
[/BQUOTE :

I'm on 1381 for at least 2 years now and I always got a rate of 4/5. In the same time period I did about 10 installs on 127W/1381 and every time I got a 4/5.
It looks like they did some changes for this transponder recently.
BTW: The "M" indicates that this modem has more memory, as support told me yesterday.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to grohgreg

MVM

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Nope, rate code is a function of transmit signal strength and quality as quantified at the gateway. All things being equal, a 4/5 rate at one gateway should be a 4/5 rate at any other gateway.

You misunderstood my point - I was talking about the maximum allowed ratecode. There have always been gateways that do not allow 4/5. Most of those allow 2/3, but it is not a stretch to believe that one might only allow 1/2. Note that there are not any attempts at anything higher than 1/2, so no unsuccessful or failed rates. The switchup of 255 likely means that switchup is not possible.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

My bad, I've always run 256k 4/5 rate. I made the mistake of assuming it was universal. Learning that not all transponder/gateways are DVB-S2 lends credence to your point. I'm wondering if their venture into Ka-band caused them to terminate the previously ongoing Ku-band upgrades (?)

//greg//

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

Upgrades are one thing, but they are also being very slow about maintenance and repair. Lots of recent complaints here and elsewhere about SSL not working on 117, but no action. Clearly a Hughes problem.