how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jut22

join:2012-09-18
Indiana, PA
reply to jut22

Re: Verizon DSL speed drop. Can someone review my line?

I tried the site and I can't get those stats. now my latency has almost tripled.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
said by jut22:

I tried the site and I can't get those stats.

I can help with that. Please answer as many of these questions as you can.

Then I will give to you all of the options based upon equipment that you have, without getting more equipment.

#1 While I know your Netgear wgr614 v7 has a switch built into it: Do you have a hub OR a switch that is not part of a router?

#2 Are all of the Netgear wgr614 v7's RJ-45 LAN ports occupied/in use/not free/not available?

#3 Are you using official netgear firmware or are you using third party firmware?

#4 If you are using third party firmware: Which one? For example DD-WRT.

#5 Please note: As addressed on »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear your Netgear router is not supported by DD-WRT.

Because if it was supported by DD-WRT, you could follow the info that is at dd-wrt.com -> community -> Wiki -> Tutorials (Basic and advanced configuration tasks for your router) -> Access To Modem Configuration

#6 What is the current LAN IP of the Netgear wgr614 v7?

If this Netgear wgr614 v7 is the only RJ-45 WAN port router you have (then the LAN IP of it is the Default Gateway on your computer).

#7 Did you change the LAN IP of the Westell before you put it into bridge mode?

#8 What is the type of connection that your Netgear wgr614 v7 is handling? For example PPPoE.

[EDIT]

said by jut22:

should i take my verizon 6100g modem out of bridge mode to try to get the stats from that site?

You could if you wanted to.

Just be sure that if the LAN IP of the Westell starts with 192.168.1 that your Netgear wgr614 v7 LAN IP does not also start with 192.168.1.

If both of those two routers LAN IP(s) starts the same, you must change the LAN IP of one them so that it is different. For example if the LAN IP of the Westell starts with 192.168.1 then your Netgear wgr614 v7 LAN IP could start with 192.168.2.

^^^
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

jut22

Indiana, PA
i took my westell out of bridge mode. heres the
-advanced wan statistics:

Connection Rate (Down/Up): 2528 Kbps / 352 Kbps
Connection Status In Packets
Out Packets 663
In Error Packets
Out Error Packets 0
IP Network Address PPP
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS 72.95.150.217
Ethernet Status In Packets
Out Packets 8034
ATM NetworkAddress VPI
VCI 0
Firewall Status Passed
Dropped In: 0 Out: 0
In: 0 Out: 0

-Transceiver Statistics:

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2528 352
Margin (dB) 14.7 11.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 53.1 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.8 11.9

Also: There's stats for System Logging, Full Status/System wide Monitoring of Connections and Traffic Monitoring. If you need those let me know and I'll post. Thanks for your time and forgive my ignorance on this stuff.

jut22

Indiana, PA
reply to aefstoggaflm
1. no
2. i have a ps3 wired in.
3. official netgear firmware. also,
4. i was using a d-link w/ dd-wrt but the router bricked so i reverted back to the netgear.
6. it was 192.168.1.1, but i reverted took the westell modem out of bridge mode to check the stats and see if there was any change in performance.
7.no, how would i go about doing that?
8. i set it up as pppoe.

thanks again for your help.

drjunky9

join:2005-09-14
Taneytown, MD

1 recommendation

reply to jut22

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2528 352

I'm not an expert, but the current values you have indicate you are getting some weird speed, likely "optimized". If you have a solid 3mbps line you should be at something like 3360/860 or something around those numbers (I don't remember the exact values). Your true speed is what you are currently seeing right now, about 2.2/.2 after the overhead.

Margin (dB) 14.7 11.0

Most people recommend your values should be at minimum 10db or higher, but strangely your upstream has a lower value. From what I have seen is that most other people the upstream has a higher value than the downstream.

Line Attenuation (dB) 53.1 31.5

Not seeing much wrong here. I believe this indicates you aren't exactly all that close, but should still be able to get 3mbps.

Transmit Power (dBm) 19.8 11.9

This seems okay to me, but I'm not quite sure if it's normal. It seems similar in value to mine, but lower transmit power is better if it can be done.

Have you tried:

1) Powering off and back on the modem to reboot it?
2) If your NID has a test port and if you have a laptop or super long ethernet cable, take it outside to the NID/phone box outside your house and connect the modem to the test port and gather the statistics there to see if you get the same values or better numbers. (Check if you still have a test port before taking the modem outside. I have a dry loop and at some point Verizon removed my test port, which I think boosted my line stats as I originally only got 1.5mbps).

That is what I sometimes do the rare times I see weird values. Sometimes a reboot will cause my modem to resync to better value, but if your line has some issues, it's likely to go back to your lower speed. The NID test will tell you if the wiring in your house is okay if you receive the same values. If you receive better values at the NID, you could have some bad wiring in the house which is not covered by Verizon (home owner responsibility).

As something for you to compare to, my line was getting ~2.5mbps, but strangely enough the automated optimizer decided to bump me up to ~2.9 for some unknown reason after several months of the 2.5 speed. The margin is probably the far edge of stability, but my line is actually rock solid for speed if I run downloads for several hours as a test.

My numbers:
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3320 860
Margin (dB) 6.2 11.5
Line Attenuation (dB) 50.4 30.4
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.7 12.2

In regards to your ping test, the only thing that really tells me is that there was some slowdown around the area of the Verizon-Alter.net routers. Could have been temporary congestion, but is not the root cause of your 2/.2 speed. That problem is due to your modem currently set for those speeds, so maybe try the couple of things above I suggested.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

4 edits
reply to jut22
said by jut22:

7.no, how would i go about doing that?

Well that depends on the firmware.

--

If you are using the Red and Black firmware:

#1 Quote from »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

quote:
Click the My Network icon again, click Network Connections from the left menu again. On the Broadband Connection screen, click the word "Lan",

#2 Once you are at that screen. Where it says Modem IP Address, you could change it so that it is 192.168.0.1 - for example.

#3 Save/Apply your settings.

If you are using the White and Blue Firmware:

#1 In the Westell go to Configuration -> Private LAN Connection

#2 Again: Once you are at that screen. Where it says Modem IP Address, you could change it so that it is 192.168.0.1 - for example. And then Save/Apply your settings.

#3 Sample screen shot(s) of the Westell using the White and Blue firmware, are at:

a) »myplace.frontier.com/~paradise.c···6100.htm

and at

b) »www.pcwintech.com/screenshots-we···firmware

said by jut22:

8. i set it up as pppoe.

Ok.

** Option one **

#1 As addressed in

»[modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connected?

Since their RJ-45 WAN router is setup for pppoe and if

b) ..the modem combo LAN IP and their RJ-45 LAN IP are not in the same subnet.

As long as the pppoe connection is down, they can access the modem combo.

By not the same subnet, for example: Modem at 192.168.0.1 and the RJ-45 WAN port router at 192.168.1.1

** Option two **

said by jut22:

2. i have a ps3 wired in.

I take that it means, no. All of them are not in use.

If that is case: Notice what the fix that is suggested by wayjac See Profile to fix the OP's issue of the other thread.

Direct Link to this fix »Re: [modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connect

Are these two options (above) true, you might ask.

I can not tell you it is because:

#1 I am not on PPPoE.

#2 I have never tried (and or) noticed those things.

Option #3 and #4 (based upon what equipment you have)

I point »Linksys FAQ »How do I access a modem that is connected to the WAN port of a Linksys Router?

Option 3 is: Both routers are not in the same subnet and then the RJ-45 WAN port router's WAN IP is set to a Static IP that is in the same subnet as the modem combo.

While I know your RJ-45 WAN port router is not a Linksys, I know this option works with other RJ-45 WAN port routers.

Option 4 is: Disconnecting your computer from the RJ-45 WAN port router, disconnecting the modem combo from the RJ-45 WAN port router, setting a Static IP on your computer's wired NIC, and hooking your wired NIC to the modem combo.

--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Meteor Dive
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-31
Silver Spring, MD
kudos:1

3 edits
reply to jut22
I'm curious but what did the verizon tech do in your initial post that alleviated the problem? What drjunky9 See Profile mentioned earlier about being auto-provisioned to a lower speed could have happened to combat some unexpected noise. I'm more curious to see what your stats would look like if the dslam set your speed back above 3000.

Not to mention your attenuation is already quite high at the lower speed setting indicating that perhaps you have a decent amount of signal loss somewhere that could potentially be out of your control (like a noisy pair at the pole outside for example).

Edit: credited wrong user :P whoops.
--
•·.·´¯`·.·•Meteor Dive•·.·´¯`·.·•

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by Meteor Dive:

What aefstoggaflm See Profile mentioned earlier about being auto-provisioned to a lower speed could have happened to combat some unexpected noise...

No you got it wrong.

The user who said talked about auto-provisioned in this thread was thelanboy See Profile

Direct link to their post »Re: Verizon DSL speed drop. Can someone review my line?

--

Meteor Dive
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-31
Silver Spring, MD
kudos:1

3 edits
Huh? I wasn't quite talking about the possible manipulation from verizon.

I was more talking about the auto-adjustment that occurs at the circuit level between the modem and the DSLAM to compensate for noise when a disruption occurs while the two modules are re-negotiating during the sync phase.

(or as drjunky9 See Profile phrased it: 'optimized')

Sorry if that was misleading. It was something I coined back in the days when I was troubleshooting service throughput.

Edit: Oh I see, I credited wrong person earlier it seems. whoops.
--
•·.·´¯`·.·•Meteor Dive•·.·´¯`·.·•