uniqs
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

Re: [Bus. Ops] Hosting Akamai

said by TBBroadband:

The requirement is 8gigs per month according to the email they sent me (NF).

Typical deployments are around 5+Gbps (per month)

I think you are mixing up terminology a bit. You have said gigs transferred, which means "gigabytes". The email you quoted is saying gigs (specifically Gbps) as in "gigabits per second".

If you are really only transferring 4 gigabytes per week, you essentially have no netflix traffic. I mean, that's like a single person streaming one high-def movie per week, or maybe half a dozen standard def movies in the same timeframe. Caching would be a 100% waste in that situation.

But to be fair, it's a total contradiction to say "5+Gbps (per month)". That's like saying "5 miles per hour (per month)" so the email doesn't really make sense either.

So, with some clarification, can you tell us how much Netflix traffic you actually transfer in a month, or how much sustained Netflix traffic you have during peak times? Unless you're talking about numbers in the hundreds of gigabytes or even terabytes of NF traffic per month, I'm guessing that caching will be of little benefit.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

After checking the few locations that I currently have customers at (4 MDUs) I have between 10-20gigs per month of NF traffic. That's checking everything from the start until this evening at 7pm.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Yes that's a tiny amount of traffic to Netflix. 20 gigs amounts to 5-6 HD movies or 15-20 regular movies or less.

A cache will have zero effect. Netflix will not give you a very expensive box for that unfortunately.