join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to gjrhine

Premium Member

to gjrhine

Re: Just got the iPad Mini

said by gjrhine:

said by IowaCowboy:

My data plan is the $70/4GB plan and that is shared between an iPhone 4 (soon to be iPhone 5), two dumb phones (mom & grandma), a MiFi, an iPad 3 and an iPad mini.

Wow I am not getting that. Ours is more like $190 with all taxes and fees for 1 dumb phone, 2 smart phones the Mini and 4Gb. I will have to look at the first bill and see how that breaks down.

My plan is as follows.
Data: 4GB $70
Dumb phone: $30
Dumb phone: $30
iPhone 4: $40
MiFi: $20
iPad 3: $10
iPad Mini: $10

Total $210 before taxes. Mom and Grandma have handset insurance on their dumb phones @ 5.99/month per phone.

I am thinking of ditching the insurance on the dumb phones as it costs a total of 143.76 over the life of the contract and it costs $249 to replace a Samsung Convoy II at full retail.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

Ok I guess I misread before. That sounds about right. Our $190 cost (includes taxes & fees) also includes a certain (can not remember how much) % discount because it is a corporate plan for the wife's Blackberry.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by gjrhine:

Ok I guess I misread before. That sounds about right. Our $190 cost (includes taxes & fees) also includes a certain (can not remember how much) % discount because it is a corporate plan for the wife's Blackberry.

My mother used to get a discount on her AT&T account (because she works for the local school district) but it was still more expensive for her to have a separate account through AT&T (even with her government employee discount) than to add her to my Verizon account (she used to have the $89.99 Family Talk plan with 1400 minutes on two phones with a 15 percent discount). Now it costs $60 ($30 per dumb phone) to add them to what I am already paying with Verizon (and they get unlimited talk and text instead of the 1400 minutes with the risk of overages).

It's a good thing that we got a better deal on mom and grandma's cell phones because mom took a reduction in hours due to budget cuts. They don't use any data (other than mom likes to take pictures with her phone and she uses MMS to send them to her E-mail).

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

Yes figuring out cell plans these days is rocket scientist stuff.