share rss forum feed

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pnh102

Re: Walmart Strike and Thanksgiving Opening!

For years the Unions have been harassing Walmart preventing them form building new stores,like my neighborhood. This has nothing to do with welfare of workers just trying to get more warm bodies too line the union 's pockets. Yes they Walmart workers could walk off and join the former Hostess Workers in the Unemployment line.

Let there unions pansies work as a contractor as I do, A day off like today means I do not get paid.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

said by Scatcatpdx:

For years the Unions have been harassing Walmart preventing them form building new stores

Nobody harasses Walmart, that is an absolute absurdity.

I take it you prefer taxes to pay Walmart workers wages instead of Walmart paying a livable wage.

There is nothing wrong with workers organizing, it is an essentially part to any free market.

And I gladly pay my union dues, as its the better of two evils. Much better.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

Oh yea where when you in Portland Oregon when union assisted in organized a not in my Back Yard campaign to block Beaverton, Cedar Mills and Baseline Road proposed locations. Where were you during the Fred Myer strike when I had to walk past Union pickets at Non union and employee owned Winco stores. Don't tell me what I did not see with my own eyes.
?? "take it you prefer taxes to pay Walmart workers wages instead of Walmart paying a livable wage."
I smell a red herring fallacy a mile way

Expand your moderator at work

DataRiker
Premium

4 edits
reply to Anon

said by pnh102:

You speak as if Walmart alone is responsible for this. How is it Walmart's fault that government-provided benefits are more generous than their benefits, and why is it Walmart's fault that these people choose on their own volition to get the "cheaper" option provided by the state?

I'm talking about food stamps. Since Walmart essentially only hires part time, and with their computer based predicted needs scheduling these people can not obtain a second job as they could before ( being on what appears to be a random schedule )

Thus these people are forced to get food stamps to put food on the table.

Its just logic.

As for who is responsible, at this point it really doesn't matter (IMHO Corporate America ). It's like people have lost all compassion for the poor and uneducated.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

said by DataRiker:

I'm talking about food stamps. Since Walmart essentially only hires part time, and with their computer based predicted needs scheduling these people can not obtain a second job as they could before ( being on what appears to be a random schedule )

I think this is a big reason why retail has high churn. People working in it find out they will never ever have the same schedule.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

I think this is a big reason why retail has high churn. People working in it find out they will never ever have the same schedule.

High churn is an understatement

said by Wikipedia :
With close to 2.2 million employees worldwide, Walmart has faced a torrent of lawsuits and issues with regards to its workforce. These issues involve low wages, poor working conditions, inadequate health care, as well as issues involving the company's strong anti-union policies. Critics point to Walmart's high turnover rate as evidence of an unhappy workforce, although other factors may be involved. Approximately 70% of its employees leave within the first year.

quote:
Walmart has also faced accusations involving poor working conditions of its employees. For example, a 2005 class action lawsuit in Missouri asserted approximately 160,000 to 200,000 people who were forced to work off-the-clock, were denied overtime pay, or were not allowed to take rest and lunch breaks. In 2000, Walmart paid $50 million to settle a class-action suit that asserted that 69,000 current and former Walmart employees in Colorado had been forced to work off-the-clock.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Walmart

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

reply to Anon

We still are trusting the private sector but now it's a government mandate as of 2014 without any real reform. So we will pay the price in fines and taxation now instead.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 edit
reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

I'm talking about food stamps.

Ok so it is food stamps in addition to health care. But yet, I see the same people who are protesting being able to buy those bright green shirts, and be able to use tools like internet of some kind along with a computer or a smartphone to be able to organize a strike. I'm sorry but if you can afford to spend money on technology like that that *isn't* life critical (sure it is nice to have) then you shouldn't be on food stamps.

I'm not saying that making minimum wage and working on Turkey Day and Black Friday is the greatest thing in the world... I just think that going so far as to strike over it, especially in these dire economic times, is a very bad thing to do.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by DataRiker:

I'm talking about food stamps.

But yet, I see the same people who are protesting being able to buy those bright green shirts, and be able to use tools like internet of some kind along with a computer or a smartphone to be able to organize a strike.

The flashing things your seeing are the ONLY luxury items these people own in their whole lives, and some have them gifted by family member with money, and some save for long periods to get them.

They go home to almost inhospitable conditions both mentally and physically, and you think because they have clothes and a phone they don't deserve to eat?

michieru
Premium
Miami, FL

Do you at least agree that the system is abused?

DataRiker
Premium

said by michieru:

Do you at least agree that the system is abused?

Yes, of course, as is any other institutional system.

Its a drop in the bucket compared to the abuse in Defense spending. I say we start at the top and work our way down?

Logical, no?

michieru
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

I wouldn't consider it a drop but rather a lake is more appropriate. Defense spending however cannot have such a drastic decrease that it puts our country at risk. I will agree however with streamlining and killing any worthless projects that will save the country billions of dollars as of right now or in the long run. If the Marine Corps can do it with only 6% of the defense budget then so can the rest of the branches with some restructuring and efficient handling without compromising it's safety.

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3

Puts our Country at risk from whom ? The Canadians or the Mexicans. We spend more on that pig then the next 15 nations combined.

DataRiker
Premium

3 edits
reply to michieru

said by michieru:

Defense spending however cannot have such a drastic decrease that it puts our country at risk.

LOL!

We must keep borrowing money from China to spend on in the Middle East on wars we can't win making more terrorists than we kill. Makes perfect sense.

All the while our country is turning into a rotting pile of trash with outdated infrastructure and failing education and healthcare.

michieru
Premium
Miami, FL

How humorous that you think I agree with the Middle East wars especially since I lost people who I knew over there. If you are going to have those kind of stereotypes then I will end this discussion here.

DataRiker
Premium

4 edits

1 recommendation

said by michieru:

How humorous that you think I agree with the Middle East wars especially since I lost people who I knew over there. If you are going to have those kind of stereotypes then I will end this discussion here.

The only thing humorous is disagreeing with war while not agreeing to significantly decrease "defense" spending, which over 90% goes to fighting and supporting declared and undeclared wars on 4 continents.

I wouldn't call an industry that bankrupts you and creates a constant stream of enemies without any evidence of making the US safer "defense"

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3
reply to michieru

said by michieru:

And what did they die for? Iraqi Oil ? Or having a Fascist Fundamentalist Regime in Afghanistan ?

michieru
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to DataRiker

The only thing humorous is disagreeing with war while not agreeing to significantly decrease "defense" spending, which over 90% goes to fighting and supporting declared and undeclared wars on 4 continents.

I wouldn't call an industry that bankrupts you and creates a constant stream of enemies without any evidence of making the US safer "defense"

Replace enemies with pills and "defense" with "healthcare" and that's the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry lol.

I never disagreed with you about spending cuts, and I already implied that if we made the other branches as efficient as the Marine Corps you now have improved and streamlined our forces without the overhead that we currently have and that's where your going to get the most cuts from defense without leaving our soldiers flak-less.

You write as if our soldiers must be stripped of everything and have nothing. So by "significant decrease" what do you specifically mean?