Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

1 recommendation

Rob_

Premium Member

Made In China

Are you guys going to start shopping American? It be nice to do some homework and check out what's made here (not very much) but every little bit helps.

You can check here: »www.madeinusa.com/

Let's stop sending all of our jobs overseas this Friday..

-Rob

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx

Thank you but I really do not care not it is practical for me to be choosy.
If you want to just buy American I respect right to do so but I do have the right to ignore such near slightness.
Think of all us that develop , market, transport and sell the product made in china, it our jobs that is supported by free trade.
morph69
join:2001-09-03
Penetanguishene, ON

morph69

Click for full size
I had to post this here... from my facebook

»www.facebook.com/photo.p ··· _count=1
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to Scatcatpdx

Premium Member

to Scatcatpdx
And think about how much more jobs that would be made if the products were made in the US as well.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx

I would loss. Zero sum gain is a fallacy: a job loss in China will not necessarily mean a job gain in the US. Were you around in the 1980's when PC was made in America but cost $3000 or ough one clothing for second had stores ans sewing was a necessary skill to patch clothing
Higher cost to manufacture item in the US will result in less demand and less demand for workers and all this business the support the free trade of goods. We wold not only the need for so many walmarts but all those front end and back office jobs will be lost.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
Fair trade instead of free trade would be better for US and worse for China.
»www.fairtradeusa.org/
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to biochemistry

to biochemistry
You aren't going to see many products made in America, so long as we have punitive corporate tax rates, punitive capital gains taxes (jacked 58% come January 1), high energy costs and regulatory excess.

We actually could induce foreign investment and rebuild a manufacturing base - our geography, distribution and stable political clime are quite attractive. But water, power, and gas rates are already too high, even before they're taxed. Add to that the byzantine bureaucratic nightmare everyone goes through in the permitting and build process, and the minefield of regulations and taxes, and we come up short, every time.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by elray:

You aren't going to see many products made in America, so long as we have punitive corporate tax rates, punitive capital gains taxes (jacked 58% come January 1), high energy costs and regulatory excess.

Sorry but the facts are the opposite of what you are stating:

Punitive tax rates: The US has probably THE LOWEST effective tax rate (what actually gets collected) in the world.
Reality Check: Effective U.S. Corporate Tax Rate Much Lower Than Most Other Developed Nations

Punitive Capital Gains Taxes: Why don't you more accurately state the actual percentages both before the TEMPORARY TAX CUTS expire and after? (hint: 15% & 20%, much lower than most of us pay for income tax) The Medicare tax is new for Cap gains (and should be higher IMO). What is Capital Gains Tax in Canada?? (hint: 50%)
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· ains_tax

High energy costs: Are you talking about high energy expense? Obviously since the US uses more than any other country, the expense will be higher. Costs of both electricity and gasoline are on the low side compared to other countries.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga ··· _pricing
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El ··· _pricing
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· oduction

Regulatory excess: Even you have to admit this last one is a joke.

Try this list:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ea ··· ss_index
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

I agree with many of your points, but Wikipedia is not an authoritative source of information. It is good for a quick glance though... Actually, I think our effective corporate tax rates are some of the lowest in the world, but on the other side of the coin, the government shouldn't be trying to be all things to all people and taxing as much as it does. Yes there is a need for some but not all collection.

...and you've fallen for the temp tax cuts spin argument. I'm amazed at how well the media has conditioned us to think about certain ideas and ignore other ideas.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

I would agree that Wikipedia is not sufficient for court cases or a doctorate thesis but for an Internet forum there is really no problem using it as a source. Most of the authors will cite the sources of their information and these can be verified if someone doubts the validity of the article.

Another way to think of it: if an argument is completely rebutted by a couple of amateurish Wikipedia articles, how valid could that argument be?

And to clarify, are you saying the Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003 was not suppose to expire in 2008?