uniqs

fishing rod
@videotron.ca

fishing rod to msharif

Anon

to msharif

Re: New Canadian Bittorrent lawsuit: Who shared "Recoil&quo

said by msharif:

I haven't been following canadian ip or copyright law. Can I get a link?

www.google.ca?

What the New Copyright Law Means For You
»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 695/135/

Canadian Copyright Reform In Force: Expanded User Rights Now the Law
»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 692/125/

Government To Delay Implementation of Bill C-11's Internet Provider Rules
»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 686/125/

use google to find more?
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0

said by fishing rod :

said by msharif:

www.google.ca?

use google to find more?

now go visit the charter of rights and freedoms and see how section 2 , 7 , 8 and 12 are violated because i pay a levy and then get penalized....and before you start yammering about music only look up what the darn word media means ....its more hen just music.Funny how lawyers try and cut the angle to just music....

also laws cannot be made in canada the govt has no wish or the cops cant or say they wont enforce as the RCMP said....
that means you have another charter challenge that the law is unenforceable because the govt itself is refusing to enforce it.
funny0

funny0

said by funny0:

said by fishing rod :

said by msharif:

www.google.ca?

use google to find more?

now go visit the charter of rights and freedoms and see how section 2 , 7 , 8 and 12 are violated because i pay a levy and then get penalized....and before you start yammering about music only look up what the darn word media means ....its more hen just music.Funny how lawyers try and cut the angle to just music....

also laws cannot be made in canada the govt has no wish or the cops cant or say they wont enforce as the RCMP said....
that means you have another charter challenge that the law is unenforceable because the govt itself is refusing to enforce it.

OH and i traced the DNS of the website to a california host....
which means that the website says montreal BUT its located in the USA....
there fore its in the usa....by our laws...will be fun to see tax revenues drop like rocks as the rich fat cats drag money out of everyone and harper gets screwed to balance his precious budget now...he dont get there are 21 million net accounts in canada and nearly 8-10 million pirates....
lets say they get 1 million times 5 grand = 5 billion
thats 5 billion times 13% that font get into govts hands
600 million poofed GOOD work dumbass conservatives what's next ending health care all together so some jerk can sit on his ass for 80 years....

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

1 edit

rednekcowboy to fishing rod

to fishing rod
This from the Michael Geist link you posted:
quote:
Canadians can also take greater advantage of fair dealing, which allows users to make use of excerpts or other portions of copyright works without the need for permission or payment.
That portion of the copyright law bypasses an cases that are brought to trial.

We are allowed to download and store backup copies of original content in Canada as well as download for private use according to the same link you provided.

So, with all that being taken into consideration, I don't even know how this suit didn't get thrown out of court. Before they should be given those names, they should have to prove that the use/download of the movie violated Canadian Copyright Law, which, according to the above statements, would be impossible.

Don't even get me started at how an IP is just that--an IP. It has no direct evidence that the person who holds the account is the actual one who did the "infringing." Without being able to prove who downloaded what in a househould, they have no grounds to bring charges. There is already precedence for this in the states and is also the main reason why that Matt Damon movie case went away.

Also these types of letters were deemed illegal when they tried this a couple of years ago. I would suggest that if you get one, laugh in their faces and tell them to kiss your a$$.

um
@videotron.ca

um

Anon

said by rednekcowboy:

This from the Michael Geist link you posted:

quote:
Canadians can also take greater advantage of fair dealing, which allows users to make use of excerpts or other portions of copyright works without the need for permission or payment.
That portion of the copyright law bypasses an cases that are brought to trial.

We are allowed to download and store backup copies of original content in Canada as well as download for private use according to the same link you provided.

So, with all that being taken into consideration, I don't even know how this suit didn't get thrown out of court. Before they should be given those names, they should have to prove that the use/download of the movie violated Canadian Copyright Law, which, according to the above statements, would be impossible.

What Geist is talking about in the quote you made is portions & excerpts.

Meaning you make a youtube video and in that youtube video you have a partial recording of Elvis (for example). Or an Explosion scene from whatever movie.

This is what an excerpt is. It's a copied and pasted scene type thing. Or maybe half a page copied from some book.

This is different than downloading an entire movie.

If the law allowed downloaded movies for private use (as what you are twisting it into), Canada would be celebrated around the Globe and news of this news found legal loop-hole would be on every torrent/warez site type thing.

But then again, per a post up above, I work for Canpire and the MPAA so fud is my forte.

rednekcowboy

1 edit

rednekcowboy

I'm not twisting anything, that is what the law says. The law also states that if I own a movie, then I'm allowed to have a copy of that movie. You have no way to differentiate by IP if someone owns whatever it is you are accusing them of downloading. In fact you could be slurring many good names by implementing this practice of falsely accusing people. Also, I don't know where you've been, but Canada IS celebrated for it's stance.

What you refer to as "legal loopholes" are actually civil rights that are there to protect Canadian citizens from money-hungry, fiscally irresponsible, Hollywood blowhards who wouldn't have an original idea for a movie combined between every director/actor/producer combined in California.

As far as the "portions and excerpts" I was talking about the uploading part of torrenting. With torrenting, don't know if you are aware, but you never upload a whole movie/song/book--ever. You hand out bits and pieces to various users across the globe.

Seeing as we are in agreement about the pieces and excerpts, technically this falls under that scope and actually fits rather well, then the uploading portion of torrenting is perfectly legal.

I notice you didn't even touch on the whole IP argument whatsoever nor did you touch on the fact that this practice of blackmailing people by sending them threatening letters has already been thrown out of court. Nor did you touch how all of this has already been battled and lost in a court of law in the States and will be here as well, given our much tougher stance on protection of our citizens and their rights here in Canada.

Better yet, let's test it out. I'll download a movie, I will give you the link to the torrent that I'm downloading, I'll give you my name, address and IP and I'll even give you an email saying I'm straight-out, spitting in your face, downloading it. Send me the letter and let's see how far you get with it. We'll get this whole mess shut down right now! Hollywood and all of the rest of their crooks and croonies can go on about their business in some other country and leave us Canadians alone.

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug

Anon

said by rednekcowboy:

I notice you didn't even touch on the whole IP argument whatsoever nor did you touch on the fact that this practice of blackmailing people by sending them threatening letters has already been thrown out of court. Nor did you touch how all of this has already been battled and lost in a court of law in the States and will be here as well, given our much tougher stance on protection of our citizens and their rights here in Canada.

Not in this topic. Not worth repeating. But you can find where i do in this topic where I discovered the IP's belonging to the Montreal Canadians (which torrent freak carried) and the Hilton, and other privacy related stuff. Just look for the videotron host mask. That would be me.

All 30-something pages can be found here:
»Hurt Locker P2P Lawsuit Comes to Canada
Knock yourself out.

Have to get back to work for the MPAA now.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by shrug :

said by rednekcowboy:

Not in this topic. Not worth repeating. But you can find where i do in this topic where I discovered the IP's belonging to the Montreal Canadians (which torrent freak carried) and the Hilton, and other privacy related stuff. Just look for the videotron host mask. That would be me.

All 30-something pages can be found here:
»Hurt Locker P2P Lawsuit Comes to Canada
Knock yourself out.

Have to get back to work for the MPAA now.

What happened to all that hurt locker nonsense? Oh ya, you quoted me saying what happened to it........