Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Guspaz

Re: Cooptel Fiber to the home

said by Guspaz:

VDSL2 works fine for IPTV.

IPTV over VDSL is limited by the number of televisions it can simultaneously serve while also delivering net access over that same line. In a one TV house it may not be an issue, but get a 3-5 TV house (like many homes with teenagers have) all trying to simultaneously watch a 7-10Mbit HD feed combined with an Internet connection and you're going to run into serious headaches - if not outright impossible to deliver on marginal connections - that you won't experience with something fibre or coax fed.

Sure, what I outlined is an extreme situation, but that outline pretty much shows that there are some real limits with television over VDSL that do not apply to any other delivery medium.

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

VDSL2 works fine for IPTV.

IPTV over VDSL is limited by the number of televisions it can simultaneously serve while also delivering net access over that same line. In a one TV house it may not be an issue, but get a 3-5 TV house (like many homes with teenagers have) all trying to simultaneously watch a 7-10Mbit HD feed combined with an Internet connection and you're going to run into serious headaches - if not outright impossible to deliver on marginal connections - that you won't experience with something fibre or coax fed.

Sure, what I outlined is an extreme situation, but that outline pretty much shows that there are some real limits with television over VDSL that do not apply to any other delivery medium.

it's not extreme. Many people have more than one TV like you for the kid or him and her because they like to watch different show.

We must also include pvr function that take at least one stream by recording so if you have 2 pvr in HD recording at the same time with 2 people regarding another show in HD you need 4 stream for about 28 mbit without internet...

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
I never even stopped to consider PVRs. A home with two televisions with two PVRs and two regular receivers is going to use 42Mbit/s *just* for television. What's left over for Internet? 8 at most, and only with perfect line conditions?

Either way, IPTV over VDSL while functional and a "cheap" way for the telcos to get onto the content delivery bandwagon is a kludge at best compared to any of the television delivery methods that existed before. When it comes down to it, coax is an outright elegant solution compared to VDSL, and fibre/RFoG is functionally identical to coax.

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
said by Gone:

I never even stopped to consider PVRs. A home with two televisions with two PVRs and two regular receivers is going to use 42Mbit/s *just* for television. What's left over for Internet? 8 at most, and only with perfect line conditions?

Either way, IPTV over VDSL while functional and a "cheap" way for the telcos to get onto the content delivery bandwagon is a kludge at best compared to any of the television delivery methods that existed before. When it comes down to it, coax is an outright elegant solution compared to VDSL, and fibre/RFoG is functionally identical to coax.

Many people do not think about that part.. the pvr and speed increase for internet.

I think the same way. it's very limited and if the customer is close to 1km (3000 feets) you can not even consider 3 TV with PVR and 20 Mbit internet.