Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

[Voip.ms] Toronto data center problem resolved, but can't receiv

Hello,

This afternoon around 1-2 PM there were problems with voip.ms Toronto Data Center. I became aware of this when people said they called but only heard a voicemail answer. I then went into the config page of Linksys SPA-3102 to switch from toronto to montreal proxy (LINE1) then did the same thing in voip.ms portal page. I spent at least 1/2 hour with a fellow there. Changed routing so that incoming calls go directly to my DID and the voicemail option was temporarily removed for troubleshooting. Still no go even after the voip.ms site shows that their problems were resolved. The voip.ms guy made a few test calls to my DID and he said he heard rings, but my phone still didn't ring. I sent voip.ms several screenshots including LINE1 config page of SPA-3102 for them to look at.

As I am still waiting to hear from them:

1. In terms of connecting SPA-3102:

Internet (or WAN) port: connected to LAN port of Netgear router

Note: If I leave this connection as is, I can hear the dial tone, and see 3 LEDS. If I plug Cat5 cable to Ethernet port of SPA-3102 I hear a busy tone and only power LED shows, flickering.

Phone port: connected to phone
(Bell line disconnected after porting of local number was completed)

Now I have 3 LEDS on with solid green: power, Internet, phone

2. LINE1 page shows registration to montreal POP, and the user credentials for voip.ms are correct

3. PSTN Line page: blank

The SPA-3102 was originally setup by a relative.

Could you explain why I cannot hear our phone rings even though both ATA and voip.ms shows registration to montreal proxy? Are connection and configuration being done correctly?

I need help pretty quick since my folks are getting on my nerve.

Thanks a lot for your help.

verix

join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA

Re: [Voip.ms] Toronto data center problem resolved, but can't re

Have you power cycled your phones? Checked the ring tone settings (waveform, freq) of the lines in the ATA?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to taytong888
Might be two different issues.

There were problems in the Toronto data center that Voip.MS uses, but those have been resolved as you said.

But separately, Iristel was/is having problems with some of their DID's. Is your DID from Iristel? Although the first post was related to Toronto, another post related to Montreal, so perhaps the Iristel problem is more widespread:
»Anveo/Iristel DID Outage (519, 416, More?)

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
The Iristel outage was national.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
Yes.

Here is a Twittertweet that I just saw, from this morning:

AHB LAW @AHBLAW

@BobChamberlain @iristel yes! we're in Vancouver and our phones are down!! It looks like the entire iristel system has crashed.

taytong888

Nepean, ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
Hello PX,

My DIDs are from voip.ms

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by taytong888:

Hello PX,

My DIDs are from voip.ms

No, no.

Voip.MS or Anveo or CallCentric (etc) are retail-level providers.

They are NOT in most cases the actual carriers that SUPPLY the phone numbers (DID's).

Those are CLEC companies like Iristel, ISP Telecom, Level-3, One Communications (now Earthlink), and many others.

If you plug your phone number here, it may tell you who your actual CLEC is, though the data is sometimes outdated especially for Canada:
»tnid.us/

taytong888

Nepean, ON
Hello PX,

One DID that was ported from Bell Canada was originally Bell's

The other belongs to ISP Telecom

My problem remains. I am wondering outloud here whether LINE1 should have been left blank and PSTN line tab should include credentials for voip.ms. The reason for the new thought is that most guides on the Internet, voip.ms included, refer to the normal situation where LINE1 refers to the Bell phone line. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by taytong888:

My problem remains. I am wondering outloud here whether LINE1 should have been left blank and PSTN line tab should include credentials for voip.ms.

No.

said by taytong888:

The reason for the new thought is that most guides on the Internet, Voip.ms included, refer to the normal situation where LINE1 refers to the Bell phone line.

I'm quite puzzled where you would have seen that.

Where does Voip.MS say that?

In any event, you no longer have a Bell line. Literally, it's not relevant in your case.

Here are Voip.MS instructions for the SPA-2102:
»wiki.voip.ms/article/Cisco_SPA21···h_Router

So first step, recheck your configurations. Note that they are just giving Atlanta as an example.

cell14

join:2012-01-04
Miami Beach, FL
reply to PX Eliezer70
""If you plug your phone number here, it may tell you who your actual CLEC is, though the data is sometimes outdated especially for Canada:
»tnid.us/ ""

The data are very often so outdated and sometimes wrong that it is not even funny.

taytong888

Nepean, ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
Hi PX,

Thanks for the link. I've already followed most of that guide except for the last few items because I don't see them on the screen. Did change to Port 5080.

I also noticed that Callcentric has a guide for SPA-3102 and another site called fredshack.com has "SPA-3102 guide for dummies" . The latter is very detailed and may be a bit over my head.

I am waiting to see voip.ms comments on my screenshots of LINE1 page.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to cell14
said by cell14:

»tnid.us/

The data are very often so outdated and sometimes wrong that it is not even funny.

True. It used to be kept up pretty well.

I get the feeling that it has not been updated for some time.

--------------------------------------------

Something that [is] very accurate is the North American number lookup provided by Call With Us, but you need to be a paid CWU customer.

If anyone wants a number looked up, they can IM me.

cell14

join:2012-01-04
Miami Beach, FL
Thanks, good to know. I would also prefer to be a paid rather than a paying customer...

taytong888

Nepean, ON
reply to taytong888
Hi,

Update: voip.ms has not responded. Here are what I did to get incoming calls to ring on our phone as connected to SPA-3102:

1. Changed Port Number:

5060 (default) changed to 5080 yesterday

5080 changed back to 5060 today, but Phone Port LED disappeared

so changed back to 5080: PHONE LED solid green again

By the way, cable connection of this unit behind the router is correct (WAN/INTERNET port in ATA to LAN port in router): 3 solid green LEDs: power, Internet, phone.

2. Changed audio codec:

Originally SPA-3102 was set at G711u codec (I thought G711u originally for OBi110 is also applicable to Linksys SPA-3102. I was mistaken).

Today I changed it to G729a:

LINE1 > Audio config > Preferred codec = G729a

Use Pref Codec Only = NO

Codec tip from www.infonex.com..../SPA-3102

Now I have to do some more reading about dial plan and speed dialing for SPA-3102!

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to taytong888
Just out of curiosity, does your problem disappear if you remove your router from the equation?

taytong888

Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

Hello decx,

I owe you a reply. Today toronto server was having problems again. Anyway, during troubleshooting session with a voip.ms tech this PM, I unplugged the Linksys ATA (SPA-3102) from the router, then plugged it directly to the modem. After rebooting, still not able to hear the phone rings on incoming calls. One of the reasons for this problem is that I had chosen static IP in WAN setup. I thought I would need to set the ATA router in bridge mode because it's behind the Netgear router. Re-enabling DHCP plus the following steps solved the problem.

A combination of the following steps must also have solved the problem of not hearing the phone rings on incoming calls:

1. Disable PSTN Line (SIP debug says it conflicts with LINE1, according to voip.ms tech)

2. Change Register Expires from 3600 sec (default) to 120, as recommended by voip.ms

3. Change LINE1 Port 5060 to Port 5080

4. LINE1: Say YES to both "Answer Calls without Reg" & "Make Calls without Reg" (default=NO)

5. Change from toronto server to seattle server

6. Route calls to my DID directly to SIP instead of going to ringgroup.

Late this Tuesday afternoon, voip.ms says its toronto server is back to normal. Keeping my fingers crossed!

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

reply to taytong888
Glad you got it working again. Frankly, I'm not sure at all which of the settings you changed would fix your issues as I'm using the same parameters as your old settings (except for #4 which I'm not sure exists on the OBi) without problems. If your ATA is currently off the router that would still be my guess as the source of your problem especially some Netgear routers do have a SIP ALG which can be problematic.

taytong888

Nepean, ON
Hello decx,

Which ATA are you using? I am using Linksys SPA-3102.

My main router Netgear does not have any SIP ALG feature, I did look very carefully. It seems Netgear removed SIP ALG from Model WNR-834B V2 in one of the firmware upgrade.
Expand your moderator at work

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to taytong888

Re: [Voip.ms] Toronto data center problem resolved, but can't re

said by taytong888:

Hello decx,

Which ATA are you using? I am using Linksys SPA-3102.

My main router Netgear does not have any SIP ALG feature, I did look very carefully. It seems Netgear removed SIP ALG from Model WNR-834B V2 in one of the firmware upgrade.

I'm not using a Cisco SPA but a few OBi, but they still have many of the same configuration options.