Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade

Re: Black Friday Upon Us

They're fantastic devices when they run 2.1, it's just that RIM dropped the ball so badly when the thing was initially released that no one bothered with the device and it's now relegated to a Canadian-only has-been. The multitasking on these things is phenomenal and blows iOS and Android out of the water, and the apps that do exist are very well done.

The guys at the shop have already fallen in love with them even though they've only had them for a day or so. They don't need games or crazy apps or anything of the sort. They just need the ability to view/edit documents, access their email, schedule and contacts and to browse the web. In that regard, the Playbook is the best bang for the buck you'll find. The fact that they use blackberries makes it all the more easier to get the thing tethered for data access on the road.

Myself? Well, I'm not going to lie - I'm partial to Android. I want a 10" Android tablet but everything I've read about the Nexus 10 battery life says it sucks. I may settle for a Nexus 7.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

1 edit

Wolfie007

Premium Member

said by Gone:

They're fantastic devices when they run 2.1, it's just that RIM dropped the ball so badly when the thing was initially released that no one bothered with the device and it's now relegated to a Canadian-only has-been. The multitasking on these things is phenomenal and blows iOS and Android out of the water, and the apps that do exist are very well done.

The guys at the shop have already fallen in love with them even though they've only had them for a day or so. They don't need games or crazy apps or anything of the sort. They just need the ability to view/edit documents, access their email, schedule and contacts and to browse the web. In that regard, the Playbook is the best bang for the buck you'll find.

The new Playbook came with OS 2.1 out of the box, so no wireless connectivity issues and setup was a breeze. The manufacture date was less than two months ago, so they must be going through inventory at an impressive rate. I think you're right that the pre-2.0 OS hampered its introduction and there's so much competition now that it has no chance, but I think it's going to go down in history as the Betamax of its time -- a superior product that was unfairly ignored. It's incredible that anyone would pay more for an Amazon Kindle!

EDIT: I obviously meant Kindle Fire. Although at $119 the Playbook actually costs no more than many ebook readers.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Very true. OS 2.1 is great. All I have been hearing over and over today is how two guys in their mid-50s absolutely love these things and just how awesome it's going to be for them to have those things when they go out to job sites and to do estimates.

I'm considering getting some capacitive styluses for them, that way they can even draw stuff and do notes. My hope is that one day I won't have a pile of paper on my desk every day

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by Gone:

My hope is that one day I won't have a pile of paper on my desk every day

Good luck on that. I file (electronically) and scan items, but I still keep paper files for those who either don't have access, or still prefer those pieces of paper.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Electronic files can be printed on an as-needed basis. Every little bit helps I guess.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to Gone

MVM

to Gone
said by Gone:

I'm considering getting some capacitive styluses for them, that way they can even draw stuff and do notes.

This stylus looks appealing.

»pengocreative.com/produc ··· -screens