spc
Search similar:

uniqs
itch
join:2008-12-06
Louisville, KY

itch

heater on car

I have a 1999 Dodge Stratus that only blows cold air when I turn the heater on my console. I have put a new thermostat on last week to see if this helped but it did not. What else do I need to do to fix my heater?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

THere are two things that control the heat.

First is usually a coolant valve that shuts off the water flow to the heater. Usually near the firewall where the water lines go through.

The other is a baffle that diverts air between the A/C and heat sides of the plenum. If you set the temp on the dash and it adjusts automatically, then this is electronic. If you just have a cold/hot knob, that usually hoes straight to the baffle.

Edit: looks to be electronic and no valve:
»repairpal.com/heater-blo ··· cold-445
itch
Louisville, KY

itch

Thank you for the information. I will look at the fuse to see if that is the problem.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to itch

Premium Member

to itch
it could be your heater core. I had this happen to my old Stratus. pretty much it's a small box that holds the coolant and that lets the heat off to warm your car. The issue is unless you change your coolant it can get thick on the walls of the little core box and it can't let off heat.

Issue is if it's that it's not cheap to fix as you got to take apart the dash to get at it. I had it fixed but I pulled apart the dash myself and just had everything ready for them to just pull the core and replace it put the dash back together myself. I mean really you had to take everything apart.
dragonfly5
join:2012-09-04

dragonfly5 to itch

to itch
Versus removing the heater core, it could just be clogged. Remove the hoses in the engine compartment and backflush it with a garden hose to get the gunk out. That often works.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah that may also work too. I just got to the core then got sick of doing it and had a garage finish it was just like 120. They showed me my old core and man the gank in that thing turned to stone no way it was coming out.

OP never has posted back on what he did or if it's fixed.
itch
Louisville, KY

itch

I found out that i had a small leak in the radiator that could not be fixed.. Had to have a new put on. Heater is working fine.