spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to milnoc

to milnoc

Re: [The Grey Cup 100th!]You watching the CFL Grey Cup Sunday?

How about Rolling Stones?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to FaxCap

Mod

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

Carly Rae Jepsen lease offensive of the lot....cute enough kid even the 30+ year olds might not have minded.

The 'kid' just turned 27 a week ago; she just dresses/acts like a teenager as that's her target demographic. And it works.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by Kardinal:

The 'kid' just turned 27 a week ago; she just dresses/acts like a teenager as that's her target demographic. And it works.

27 is still a "kid" to me!

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Actually, now that Ford is out, who will greet the Argos at the end of their victory parade?

LOL, maybe Comrade Miller will come out of hiding.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
I agree that he shouldn't have been booed. However, I wonder how much brain power was used in deciding to bring him in. Was it a favour for someone in management for his/her daughter? I'm pretty anyone with a partial brain would have known this wouldn't go over too well with a football crowd.
J E F F4

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Was the Grey Cup even more of a prominent event this year, not only because of the 100th, but also because of the hockey strike?

Good question, but I think more or less because it was in Toronto with the Argo's in the finals. There are always good crowds for the Grey Cup, but since the centre of the universe is Toronto, it's a little more important this year.

Edmonton, when warm, is still the best place to have the cup. They sold out in 2010 in 1 week, attendance was 63,317. BTO did the half time. The year before that in Calgary, Blue Rodeo did the half-time. The Big 'O' in Montreal had 66,300+ for their Grey Cup in 2008.

The 6.1 million viewers I don't believe is a record, but pretty close. Oddly, if the Grey Cup is in Montreal, ratings are down....
J E F F4

J E F F4 to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

The sound system as far as the feed to the TV network was terrible.

Yeah, I thought my system was toast.

Agree with the fire works...which is why I say Edmonton is still the best place.

btB
@rr.com

btB to J E F F4

Anon

to J E F F4
Actually, it is my opinion that is was a no-brainer to have Bieber there. Like it or not, the guy has one of the (if not the most) popular song for the last month or so. So, the guy is a legitimate star right now. It is not like he is somebody who has potential that nobody has ever heard of or somebody who may have been a star 20-30 years ago. Plus, he is supposedly from that area. You, me, and other football fans may not see his appeal, but that is not the point. The reason the CFL wanted him there is to appeal to the next generation. The league's goal was obviously to get tomorrow's fan to tune in any means possible, hope they give the CFL a shot, and hope they will be season ticket holders in the future.

Honestly if it weren't for that article saying that there was booing, I would not have even noticed it.
btB

btB

Anon

Bieber and the other entertainers were to me all fine. A couple songs at the most, and they were done. Certainly no worse than what home teams would normally use for halftime entertainment during the regular season.

Actually, the worst part of the broadcast by far was the Coach's Corner segment Paul LaPolice. All of those bits were disasters. It looked like he was high atop the stadium because nobody wanted to be near him. Of course that is not true, but that is what it looked like. Plus whenever he tried to explain something, he just mumbled something that did not seem to match what he was diagramming. There was one time where the replay was continuing and arrows were being drawn, yet LaPolice had stopped talking 10 seconds ago. Another time, he was trying to point some significant play. However, that play happened 2 quarters ago. Worse part of all this is that LaPolice probably has the whole quarter to rehearse these 30 second segments, yet he still failed miserably at them. Maybe he will be better with practice, but for the Grey Cup, the guy simply should not have been on by himself. TSN should have used Duane Forde or anybody to help him out. Actually, I don't know why TSN did not use Forde at all. Black is not so great, but Forde is a very good color commentator.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Bieber is just lucky Labatts bottles, rotten eggs and chairs were not thrown at him... LOL

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

The reason we spend the Grey Cup thread criticizing, rightly or wrongly, the half-time "Entertainment", was because the actually game was terrible. It was essentially over at half time and only one team showed up to play....the Argos. I'm happy for Toronto.

I have no problems with Bieber and Carly Rae, good Canadian kids.
But I have a difficult time trying to decide why Burton Cummings' rendition of our National Anthem wasn't vetted before the Game, during rehearsals. Cummings is a National Icon who will have as his lasting legacy the Grey Cup National anthem.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to btB

to btB
said by btB :

Actually, it is my opinion that is was a no-brainer to have Bieber there. Like it or not, the guy has one of the (if not the most) popular song for the last month or so.

Targeted at an audience that doesn't watch football. And people who watch football don't listen to "The Bieb".

No wonder he got booed.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to btB

to btB
said by btB :

Actually, it is my opinion that is was a no-brainer to have Bieber there. Like it or not, the guy has one of the (if not the most) popular song for the last month or so. So, the guy is a legitimate star right now. It is not like he is somebody who has potential that nobody has ever heard of or somebody who may have been a star 20-30 years ago. Plus, he is supposedly from that area. You, me, and other football fans may not see his appeal, but that is not the point. The reason the CFL wanted him there is to appeal to the next generation. The league's goal was obviously to get tomorrow's fan to tune in any means possible, hope they give the CFL a shot, and hope they will be season ticket holders in the future.

Honestly if it weren't for that article saying that there was booing, I would not have even noticed it.

There are many other Canadian entertainment options that would have been a much better fit that Justin Bieber that would have also been a hit with both the younger and older crowds. Examples include:

Billy Talent
Thornley
Sam Roberts
Finger Eleven
Three Days Grace
The Trews
Alexisonfire
Theory of a Deadman
Hedley

Hell I hate to say this but even Nickelback would have been a better option than Bieber.

Bieber suffered from the fact that he is manufactured talent. Watching him perform, it was blatantly obvious that he was just a puppet on stage who at times couldn't even keep sync with the rest of the performers on stage.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

Didn't anyone watch the Game and have comments on it?
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to FaxCap

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

But....whoever produced this "show" should be canned.

Burton Cummings slaughtered Oh Canada

No kidding. Everyone in the stadium sang along for the first two parts (yes, even the one in French), then we collectively went "WTF?!?" and it was quiet as a wake for the rest of it.
said by FaxCap:

The sound system as far as the feed to the TV network was terrible.

That was the only saving grace for the half-time show. It was absolutely inaudible up in the 500 level.
said by FaxCap:

Not just in Toronto....why oh why do they allow fireworks in a closed
roof stadium....the smoke hangs there for HOURS!

It seems worse than it actually is. I had no problem whatsoever seeing the action even though I was up in the smoke for most of the game.

btB
@rr.com

btB to Robrr

Anon

to Robrr
said by Robrr:

There are many other Canadian entertainment options that would have been a much better fit that Justin Bieber that would have also been a hit with both the younger and older crowds. Examples include:

Billy Talent
Thornley
Sam Roberts
Finger Eleven
Three Days Grace
The Trews
Alexisonfire
Theory of a Deadman
Hedley

Well, the other reason was to get as many people watching as possible. Furthermore, the CFL wants to be known as a big-time league than can get "A-List" stars. No offense to those people you named, but the worldwide (or however many countries) tv audience probably have not heard of most of those on the list.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
Even though I'm an American, I can sing "O Canada" in English, and I am familiar with the French lyrics (which actually came first).

I don't want to get yelled at but I have to ask: What the hell did Burton Cummings sing?

There were RCMP standing near him. Why didn't they arrest him?
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

said by PX Eliezer704:

I don't want to get yelled at but I have to ask: What the hell did Burton Cummings sing?

First thing is that he changed the tempo and pitch of the song significantly. You know, that usual "I'm a big shot and I can sign the Anthem the way I want" artistic license thing.

Then, after the second verse, he kinda skipped the third verse and went right to the fourth, only to backtrack to the third right in the middle of it. It was really strange.
said by PX Eliezer704:

There were RCMP standing near him. Why didn't they arrest him?

I know (hope?) the comment was tongue in cheek but, no offense, we have real freedom of expression up here. There is no actual offense for screwing up the anthem or a flag.

You just look like a damn fool when you do
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

We have real freedom of expression here too.

-----------------------------------

But the province of Ontario has strict laws regarding butchers to be licensed.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to PX Eliezer704

Mod

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

He did exactly what almost every "artist" who is asked to sing the national anthem at a Superbowl does: he "made it his own". Granted, he messed with the tune, meter, and words while SB singers usually only do the first two, but it's something that's been annoying for me for years. It's the national freakin' anthem for crying out loud, not some bit of insipid pop trash you are covering for your latest hit single. Sing it as written, and get off the attention-whore stage.

Even more than altering the anthem, the other effect of messing with it is that people who are trying to sing along cannot do so. You're leading the way that others cannot follow.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
It was the oddest rendering I've heard.

It seems that artists always like to make it "There own".

Kreesha Turner butchered it once at the NFL in Toronto Bills Series:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· dwJeKzoA

She gave just enough time for the crowd to take over..

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to J E F F4

to J E F F4
I'm not a fan of "making it your own" be it Oh Canada or the Star Spangled Banner.

This is our national anthem....not "their" anthem.

Geez.....there is a 17 year old girl who sings Oh Canada at the local
hockey rink who could blow Cummings out of the water on Oh Canada.

FaxCap
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Kreesha Turner butchered it once at the NFL in Toronto Bills Series:

OMG worse than fingernails on a blackboard.
said by J E F F4:

gave just enough time for the crowd to take over..

Good for them.

----------------------------------------------

I [think] it was at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles that there was a [wonderful] rendition of our national anthem by a woman who they said was a supermarket cashier. I remember it very well, have always been trying to find a reference to it since then.

By contrast, Roseanne Barr sang the Star Spangled Banner between Padres games 20 years ago, and what a disaster....
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

did she grab her crotch when she sang The Star Spangled Banner?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by jaberi:

Yes.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by jaberi:

Yes.

In Barr's case it took both hands!

FaxCap