uniqs
share rss forum feed

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Mike

Re: Facebook - Users No Longer Have A Say In Its Privacy Rules

Devils Advocate....

So you'd be ok with your bank selling your information to marketers and you suddenly start receiving "odd" magazines from your debit/credit card activity. That could be Parenting/Baby mags to "Adult" mags.

I would assume you would have that expectation of privacy, despite it "being someone else's service" to wit, your bank's

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Entirely different.

Banking is not public domain.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
said by Mike:

Entirely different.

Banking is not public domain.

It isn't? And even if it is, why would that be "entirely different"? Your bank can sell your information whether public or private domain. You are saying banks do Domains by Proxy? Even if they did what does that have to do with banks selling your information?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
It's optional. I can't go to a public site and look up banking statements.

I can go to Facebook and look up whatever someone posts and info processed will be at your discretion and to whatever permissions you have it set to display per role. If you post something yourself you are giving that info to whoever owns that cloud service.

Banks already sell your shopping habits based on zip code. Don't like it? Do t join.

If you post something on the cloud (Facebook, Dropbox, aws based stuff, google) expect it to be harvested and crawled.

I'm not defending the practice but people aren't complete innocent victims.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by Mike:

I can go to Facebook and look up whatever someone posts

You can't look up what I post to Facebook that is designated "friends only" though.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
If you disable public search, this is key, and set your account settings to custom,
no one can find you via a seach engine assuming you don't respond to those with Publicly set accounts.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

I don't mind being found; but I do limit who can see what I post.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
I'm indexed enough as it is, so, that's off as well as much other data collection stuff. For those more seasoned with Facebook privacy settings, you can limit many things, as you wish.

Much of what I bring to you here, is shared with security community folks on Facebook. Not that it's for everyone. ¯\_()_/¯