join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi

Re: WIN8 on new laptop=crap

said by Corehhi:

Bought a laptop yesterday with Win8...
Win 8 sucks period. No I will not get use to it.

Was that the "Metro Only" version of Windows 8 or the full version that includes the conventional desktop ?

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

1 recommendation

Corehhi

said by SipSizzurp:

said by Corehhi:

Bought a laptop yesterday with Win8...
Win 8 sucks period. No I will not get use to it.

Was that the "Metro Only" version of Windows 8 or the full version that includes the conventional desktop ?

Not sure the difference?? It starts and I get a bunch of apps all over the screen and I have to click one to get to the desktop. Desktop has no start button and no easy way to look for programs. In fact everything is proving hard to get to. I guess it was stupid on my part not to look at Win 8 and see how different it was. My main computer will be running win 7 till wheels fall off. I don't use any of those sharing apps and all that. I don't want to be tracked all the time and I don't want to inform people of my latest bowel movement in real time. Sorry I'm not a hipster.
This is what I bought, $260 out the door with an odd combo of discounts and coupons. Figured I couldn't miss. »www.staples.com/Samsung- ··· t_985037
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by Corehhi:

I don't use any of those sharing apps and all that. I don't want to be tracked all the time and I don't want to inform people of my latest bowel movement in real time. Sorry I'm not a hipster.

You have a good point, but from what I see ( I'm de-crapping and customizing a new Gateway W8 computer as we speak ) those problems are not nearly as chronic as they may first appear. All of those "Tile" apps can be quickly obliviated. Right click on one of them and a tool bar appears at the bottom of the screen with the option to un-install. I just hosed about 12 of them in less than two minutes.

If you go to the real desktop by clicking the desktop tile you can right click the real desktop and add the icon for "My Computer" and the control panel. The control panel is identical to W7 and you can use the "Programs and features" list to un-install the rest of the factory loaded crap, like Norton, Wild Tangent, & etc just as you would need to do with Windows 7.

You would be shooting yourself in the foot by over reacting to such a minor "problem" of a slightly different computer feel. It is a new OS and will of course take a few minutes to get comfortable with. Windows 7 is going away and is not coming back.

The worst case scenario is that you can install a simple utility called "Classic Shell" that will completely skip the Metro interface and boot into a classic Windows 7 desktop with the start button and all the other normal things we already know how to operate.
Expand your moderator at work

Maven
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12
Canada

Maven to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi

Re: WIN8 on new laptop=crap

said by Corehhi:

Desktop has no start button and no easy way to look for programs.

Customize the start screen and use that to launch your programs. Treat it as a full screen start menu.
said by Corehhi:

I don't use any of those sharing apps and all that. I don't want to be tracked all the time and I don't want to inform people of my latest bowel movement in real time. Sorry I'm not a hipster.

So uninstall those apps. Turn off whatever tracking you're talking about.

If you feel the start screen is that terrible, install classic shell as another user suggested and carry on. You are overreacting here.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to SipSizzurp

to SipSizzurp
Well Sip you may be right butt it's going to take me way to much work to de crap this, not as simple as just uninstall everything. If I can put classic shell on it life would be much better for me. We will see I just don't want to spend the time to figure this stuff out. Working on it right now but using a different computer to post that should tell you something.....
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

I'll post some screen shots for you in about an hour, after I finish getting office, classic shell and some other goodies installed.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to Maven

Premium Member

to Maven
said by Maven:

said by Corehhi:

Desktop has no start button and no easy way to look for programs.

Customize the start screen and use that to launch your programs. Treat it as a full screen start menu.

I have three screens and can rarely see more than 10% of my desktop. The last thing I want to have to do is minimize everything to get to it to launch an app that I used to be able to with one click on the task bar.

Decent phone interface, blunderously stupid interface for a computer.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by lorennerol:

The last thing I want to have to do is minimize everything to get to it to launch an app that I used to be able to with one click on the task bar.

The ability to pin tasks to the task bar has not been removed, and still works fine.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to Corehhi

to Corehhi
That's the point/problem right there, "you don't want to spend the time to figure this stuff out". Go buy a mac then complain because it doesn't do x, yet it does but you don't want to learn. Your what's wrong with customers now, want a new toy but don't want to learn how to use it, I hope staples charges you out the butt to return it for user error/remorse.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

1 recommendation

Corehhi

said by OSUGoose:

That's the point/problem right there, "you don't want to spend the time to figure this stuff out". Go buy a mac then complain because it doesn't do x, yet it does but you don't want to learn. Your what's wrong with customers now, want a new toy but don't want to learn how to use it, I hope staples charges you out the butt to return it for user error/remorse.

The problem is to learn it so I can basically completely change a GUI. It is just poor design of the interface. I like stream lined slimmed down interfaces and Win 8 is the total opposite of that. Every OS I have had, had to be tuned to my liking but Win 8 is simply over the top when I have to get rid of the whole screens.

Day three for those who say I didn't give it a chance blaw blaw blaw. It's getting better but I still don't see the pay off, MS should have just put a classic button on Win 8 some where and it would have been well received I'm sure.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to OSUGoose

Premium Member

to OSUGoose
Considering the 7% market share of Apple's OS, the vast majority of desktop/laptop users aren't willingto pay a 30-50% premium to avoid the Microsoft "dogfood". MS wouldn't be where it is today if it didn't listen to their users' collective opinions.

Even Lexus cars have their detractors.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to Maven

Premium Member

to Maven
said by Maven:

So uninstall those apps. Turn off whatever tracking you're talking about.

If you feel the start screen is that terrible, install classic shell as another user suggested and carry on. You are overreacting here.

Sounds like a lot of work just to use a computer, this stuff shouldn't be here in the first place.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Considering the 7% market share of Apple's OS, the vast majority of desktop/laptop users aren't willingto pay a 30-50% premium to avoid the Microsoft "dogfood". MS wouldn't be where it is today if it didn't listen to their users' collective opinions.

Considering that Apple's markert share in PC's has been increasing for more than the past 2 years suggests people don't like Micosoft's products. Considering Apple's growth has outpaced the PC industry for the past few years I'd say people do not want Microsoft. I'd rather pay more for something that doesn't frustrate me than something cheaper that is a PITA to use.

And the price premium is not 30-50%. With the excpetion of the Mini, Apple does not play in the low end of the market. And that's fine. Just like there are PC's that cost more than Macbooks (Dell's high end flop from a couple years ago) people will buy them too. It's always funny how people bring up the "price premium" and then forget all the OEM's make cheap and expensive models.

Being in IT since the DOS days, I can assure you MS didn't get to where they are simply by listening to their users. They got there by bullying and not wanting to work with other vendors and locking other vendors out of their software. Even MS today claims to be "open" and such but when you have problems integrating their software (even though they say it works and is supported) you get the "well, if you were using Microsoft product zzz we can help you"...

It was well documented in the US's antitrust lawsuit a few years ago. There is a long list of products that are out of favor now that were/are much superior to Microsoft's products.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC

mm

Premium Member

said by itguy05:

said by digitalfutur:

Considering that Apple's markert share in PC's has been increasing for more than the past 2 years suggests people don't like Micosoft's products. Considering Apple's growth has outpaced the PC industry for the past few years I'd say people do not want Microsoft. I'd rather pay more for something that doesn't frustrate me than something cheaper that is a PITA to use.

And the price premium is not 30-50%. With the excpetion of the Mini, Apple does not play in the low end of the market. And that's fine. Just like there are PC's that cost more than Macbooks (Dell's high end flop from a couple years ago) people will buy them too. It's always funny how people bring up the "price premium" and then forget all the OEM's make cheap and expensive models.

Being in IT since the DOS days, I can assure you MS didn't get to where they are simply by listening to their users. They got there by bullying and not wanting to work with other vendors and locking other vendors out of their software. Even MS today claims to be "open" and such but when you have problems integrating their software (even though they say it works and is supported) you get the "well, if you were using Microsoft product zzz we can help you"...

It's easier to have the growth that Apple is experiencing with the Macintosh when the numbers are so small. And the main reason for that growth is the popularity of their iOS products. Their premium pricing is what's keeping the Mac from really growing. I have never bought a premium priced PC/Laptop and probably never will. The only reason I don't own a Mac is their pricing. It's insulting how much they cost. And they don't offer any flexible upgrade path. It's either an all in one with no upgrade path or that mini that is also limited. If they offered a standard desktop where you could install your own hard drives and memory and price it right they could get the rest of the industry nervous.

I loaded Win 8 on my old 2nd desktop yesterday. It's a quad core 2.6ghz with 8 gig of ram. It runs fine speed wise, but the user (me) can't stand it. I did install a 3rd party start up button last night which makes it much easier to use. Microsoft left the door wide open for Apple to come in and even get more market share, but without a reasonably priced computer it's out of the reach for most people.