share rss forum feed

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to IanR

Re: Actiontec router problem

Some thoughts of my own :

a) can the PC ping the XBOX's IP address?

b) does the PC have the XBOX's MAC address in it's arp table? (from cmd.exe do a arp -a)

c) reset the Actiontech to factory defaults (if possible)

d) telnet to the XBOX's IP address on the ports you mentioned, 2869, 10243, 1900, 10284-80. If they
show OPEN, then you've just proven Actiontech's comment that the LAN is not firewalled in any way.

e) the most complex, but possibly the best bet if you've hit this point on the list is to fire up a sniffer
like wireshark and see what's going on when your PC and XBOX try to communicate.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

Thanks for the suggestions HELLFIRE it's appreciated.

I seeem to have resolved my problems.

I did not realise that Windows 7 had it's own firewall program separate from any with the router. Seems suddenly (no idea why) my was activated and somehow ONLY seemed to block communication between the XBox360 and my desktop and all this happened at the same time as I upgraded the router.... Beats me.

When I tried to get into the W7 firewall program I was not allowed to...??? In total frust tration I did several hours of MS Essentials total PC scan and it came up with a few trojans (again why these had not been found B4 by MSE is up for debate). MMSE could not remove them so I downloaded Windows Defender and this finally did the trick. I then immediately was given back access to W7 Firewall (don't ask me how ths worked).
I changed the firewall settings and immediately found that my desktop/WMC and the XBox were back communicating.

I guess I was the one eyed man of the networking/firewall community in my house and struck lucky finally:)

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

"(don't ask me how ths worked)."

it worked because you removed the threats on the PC.

i am not shocked MSE didn't catch the threats, it isn't that great of a scanner, but better than not having anything at all.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

Interesting. So W7 went into self defense mode and switched on the firewall to protect itself, or at least to stop spreading the virus thru the network...

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

or the virus triggered its own virus to run and when it was removed w7 firewall stayed on. not sure, viruses do weird things.