uniqs
share rss forum feed

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to Gone

Re: [Serious] So tell me guys...

In Quebec, the Civil Code has provisions for a "legal warranty" in that, regardless of the manufacturer's warranty, certain products are expected to function within a certain amount of time without any major issues.

And a washing machine is definitely expected to function normally for at least five years without THAT happening to it!

When you installed the washer, did you take the time to read the instructions including the parts about maintaining it level and removing all of the shipping strips, straps and belts?

I ask this because my sister had a problem with a brand new horizontal washer that was migrating its way to the middle of the room at each wash cycle. It turns out the retaining braces that kept the drum immobile during shipping weren't removed by the installer, causing the whole washer to shake violently.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Ontario has similar provisions of implied warranty as well.

And yes, everything was fine. We noticed some louder than normal noise not too long ago and called a repair tech in to check it out. They opened it up, looked inside, confirmed everything was functioning normally and that the unit was level and all was good. They said that the noise could be caused by any number of issues, but when we ran the cycle with them there it wasn't any louder than it had been in the past. It ran for a bit, and then this past Tuesday the thing wouldn't detect that there was water in the basin and would throw a water source error when trying to wash. If I stopped the cycle before it threw the error it would unlock the door even though it was full of water, and it was filling with more water than usual. I thought it was just a water level sensor. We had the same guy back today, opened it up and the first thing out of his mouth was "Looks like you're buying a new washer." Turns out the counterweight tore off and then smashed the controller for water level and damaged the system that pumps water out during cycles.

Now, if you want to get a real kick out of something, my wife calls me at work to tell me all of this all the while the other guy who came with the tech during the first visit was at my store buying something from us, and saw me blow a gasket on the phone when I found out what happened. Small towns, haha.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

After you noticed the louder than normal noise I think you have done your due diligence when you had it checked a while back. Good they checked it over then for level and proper operation. Perhaps your tub mounts were beginning to yield at that point leading up to the current catastrophic failure.

That part should not break 16 months in or ever for that matter unless you have done something like try to wash a skid of cinder blocks.

I realise its upsetting, I would snap. Try and remain calm and if you haven't already done so escalate to some higher ups in the warranty call centre. They should make good on the replacement. From your pictures it looks like a design or material issue in which case they will have similar failures on record. If not some of their customer reps should be interested in seeing your problem first hand. Washing machines are considered durable goods, that's why you bought this brand, it was recommended, highly rated etc.

Good luck, it may take a bit but I think you will come out OK

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

said by koira:

That part should not break 16 months in or ever for that matter unless you have done something like try to wash a skid of cinder blocks.

You only need one.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fPi8w4h-NY

--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live