share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to vue666

Re: Breaking news - NASA makes major find on Mars

Expect any official announcements to be made between Dec 3 - 7.

»www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/···rganics/

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to vue666

Even the most optimistic guesses seem to be things like "found methane" or "found organic (contains carbon) mineral". These things don't confirm the former existence of life, simply that it may have been possible.

In other words, the absolute most important news we might get out of this is "NASA found some rock that may have at one point possibly contained life."

AKA, status quo, and they get to make a big deal out of it.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Expand your moderator at work

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Guspaz

hey, you have to drum up business for investment and funding somehow.

vue666
I love Lanny Barbie
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Even the most optimistic guesses seem to be things like "found methane" or "found organic (contains carbon) mineral". These things don't confirm the former existence of life, simply that it may have been possible.

In other words, the absolute most important news we might get out of this is "NASA found some rock that may have at one point possibly contained life."

AKA, status quo, and they get to make a big deal out of it.

You mean the face on Cydonia is just an illusion after all... LOL

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to shrug

Very angry indeed!

shrug

@videotron.ca

NASA has now backpeddled.

NASA Sez:
Mars Curiosity Discovery is Not "Earthshaking", just "Interesting".

Please downgrade your homeland security alert colour.

»clevelandleader.com/node/19426

Its in

@videotron.ca

They discovered.... PLASTIC!
»nasaupdatecenter.us/press.html

... Last week Curiosity was able to use its SAM (Sample Analysis at Mars) device to confirm the discovery. A robotic arm with a complex system of Spectral Analysis devices was able to vaporize and identify gasses from the sample, concluding that it is in fact plastic. How plastic formed or ended up on the Martian surface is quite an exciting mystery that sparks many questions. The type of plastic sampled as we know so far can only be formed using petrochemicals, meaning not only that there could possibly be a source of oil on the Red Planet, but that somehow it got turned into plastic. Even more interesting is that oil or petrochemicals used to create this type of plastic are only known to come from ancient fossilized organic materials, such as zooplankton and algae, which geochemical processes convert into oil pointing to the earthshaking evidence that there was once life on mars. ...

Thus there was life on Mars! That is, to our limited understanding of how oil is formed.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to vue666

So, you've been reduced to trying to pass of random troll sites as real news now?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

said by Guspaz:

So, you've been reduced to trying to pass of random troll sites as real news now?

Its quite understandable really when you consider that tabloids are just not published frequently enough and one does need their fill of fiction news.

i LOLd

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

ah crap. I got taken.

Just noticed Slashdot called it a hoax. Didn't even notice the domain.

+1 to them
Expand your moderator at work

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to vue666

Yeah they found carbon and cesium in the soil..... this will be the ground-breaking news.

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to vue666

so.. what was the big news?

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON

They found carbon

»www.torontosun.com/2012/12/04/na···for-life

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Not just carbon, they found organic carbon compounds!!!!!!!
(Anyone who gets overly excited over the term "organic" in this context never passed high school chemistry. )

Its an interesting discovery, but one that doesn't meet the hype and buzz in the media.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Robrr

i thought this part was intriguing:

"The agency is working on spacecraft shielding and protocols to try to counter the effects of solar and cosmic radiation."

hmmm...you mean this isn't good enough?

--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to vue666

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoVkYuCiHsA

--
Tom

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

Megan Fox = YUMMY

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to dirtyjeffer

No it isn't sufficient shielding for spending several months moving between planets. The problem is time, it takes much longer to travel to Mars than going to the moon. The lunar Apollo missions lasted around 10 days (round trip), it can take between 150 to 300 days just to reach Mars.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

meh...that pristinely wrapped gold tin foil doesn't look sufficient for 10 days on the moon either, let alone the "thin metal panels" that look like they were installed by a high school shop class...the lander's "feet" sure like nice and clean, although i'm not sure why you would wrap its feet in nice gold tin foil...likely no big deal though, considering how soft and delicate the landing there was...the dirt below it isn't even disturbed and the feet are sitting nice and neat on the surface...if you didn't know any better, you would have figured it was lowered down gently with a crane.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

It spent less then 3 days on the moon. Sure its ugly, it was purpose built for one task, was used and then discarded into Earth's atmosphere. The only thing on board which had no useful function was the TV camera, even then NASA was trying to stir public interest.

Rather than repeating the failed arguments of others, why not pick up a book written by the people that designed it, built it and flew it.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

i have read a TON of books on space and space accomplishments by mankind as it was a field i was very interested in when i was in school...i was always a little "sceptical" about the moon landing, but having seen a number of questionable things over the years, that scepticism never left...i'm not saying it didn't happen, just that there are enough odd things around that raise enough questions about it.
--

- George Orwell