how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

St0ney

join:2001-02-25
uranus

which car to get?

Been thinking about getting a present for myself next year. Around 60K +/- is my limit. Tell me about the pros and cons of these three:

Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby (Pro: 662 HP for 60K. Con: Interior not as good?)

or Audi S4 (pro: least expensive of the three, refined luxurious interior. Con: least power of the three.)

or Mercedes Benz C63 AMG (Pro: it's AMG. Con: ?.)

?

myluvnttl78

join:2000-12-22
Ridgefield, WA
Are you really serious? From a sport car to a luxury car, you want the pro and con??? and your limit is 60k?? Also its what you prefer and what you gong to use the car for... lol...

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to St0ney
Is insurance an issue? Get a price quote on the potential candidates to see how big of a hit each one may be on a monthly or yearly basis. You may find a few of your choices have a real high insurance CoO.

5-Year Cost to Own Awards 2012
»www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-lat···-awards/
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile-High
kudos:1
reply to St0ney
It's impossible to compare those cars against each other. They're each quite different and each excellent cars that I'd be happy to have. If you're serious about purchasing one, I'm sure any dealer with those cars in stock will be more than happy to let you spend a little time driving one. That will give you an opportunity to see if it fits.

You might fall in love with the Mustang or find its raw power too much to deal with. The Audi might be your cup of tea or the lack of power (comparatively) might turn you off. And so on.

Also, $60k is a HUGE car budget and opens up some really interesting possibilities if you don't mind pre-owned. You can get some rally solid Bentleys, Ferraris, and other super exotic and luxurious stuff. (I'm assuming insurance and maintenance won't be an issue.)

St0ney

uranus
reply to myluvnttl78
said by myluvnttl78:

Are you really serious? From a sport car to a luxury car, you want the pro and con??? and your limit is 60k?? Also its what you prefer and what you gong to use the car for... lol...

well the S4 and C63 may be luxury , but they are also sporty.

i want the pro and con of each, not necesarily comparing to each other.

also no jap cars for me

St0ney

uranus
reply to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

Is insurance an issue? Get a price quote on the potential candidates to see how big of a hit each one may be on a monthly or yearly basis. You may find a few of your choices have a real high insurance CoO.

5-Year Cost to Own Awards 2012
»www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-lat···-awards/

well i expect insurance to be pretty high for all of these three vehicles. i am guessing the mustang will cost the most...but how much more than the others?

St0ney

uranus

1 edit
reply to Mospaw
said by Mospaw:

It's impossible to compare those cars against each other. They're each quite different and each excellent cars that I'd be happy to have. If you're serious about purchasing one, I'm sure any dealer with those cars in stock will be more than happy to let you spend a little time driving one. That will give you an opportunity to see if it fits.

You might fall in love with the Mustang or find its raw power too much to deal with. The Audi might be your cup of tea or the lack of power (comparatively) might turn you off. And so on.

Also, $60k is a HUGE car budget and opens up some really interesting possibilities if you don't mind pre-owned. You can get some rally solid Bentleys, Ferraris, and other super exotic and luxurious stuff. (I'm assuming insurance and maintenance won't be an issue.)

not really looking to compare to each other, as i know they may be in different class altogether. jsut want to know the pros and cons of each.

i dont think i would want pre owned, esp with sports cars. you never know the previous owner could have really put the petal to the medal and raced their car. i'd rather get it new.

i am leaning towards the mustang cuz i feel its more unique (only 4000 are manufacutred each year) , just a pure monster 662hp 0-60 in 3.5 sec , also looks inconspicuous to the avg non-car person (it doesnt scream baller status). also read that its good comfortable car for cruising on the road. how are replacement parts in terms of cost and availability?

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile-High
4,000 is nice and rare. I had a car that they only made about 3,000 of a year and it was unusual to see another one. I'm not sure how many C63s get made, but I know a LOT more than 4,000 S4s are mare each year.

Given what you said, I agree the Mustang might be the best choice. Ford parts will (for the most part) be cheaper than the German brands. There will be special parts unique to the GT500 that WILL be expensive, but the parts in common with the rest of the Mustang line will be fairly affordable.

If you want real sleeper status, ask if the car can be "de-badged" (but save a set of decals to preserve the value of the car if you ever decide to sell).

I'd also be willing to bet the interior of the $60,000 Mustang is pretty nice. Not necessarily Mercedes Benz luxurious, but quite tolerable. My Flex is only a $40,000 vehicle and the interior is really nice in it. Expect upgrades to a base Mustang, and if it's not to your liking, you can always have it customized.

St0ney

uranus
if only the mustang had a more updated look to it...its style still looks almost unchanged for the past few years.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
reply to St0ney
said by St0ney:

i dont think i would want pre owned, esp with sports cars. you never know the previous owner could have really put the petal to the medal and raced their car. i'd rather get it new.

I've been looking at a used 2011 C63 AMG Coupe and they are expensive at around $60,000. I can pick up a used Aston Martin, Maserati or Jaguar for less. I'm betwixt and between like you so I'm taking my time and waiting for the right car to come up for sale.

The new ones, according to Autotrade:

Highest Price:$136,455
Lowest Price:$65,195
Average Price:$79,557

Good Luck!

If you want exclusivity the Mustang, although a limited edition model, will not look exclusive.
--
Another 4 years of Hope and Change.
The rich will still get richer and the poor get an Obamaphone and Food Stamps. lol

myluvnttl78

join:2000-12-22
Ridgefield, WA
reply to St0ney
Just get a vette... it will kick the all three of your car... Or you can spend 15k more to get a ZO6... U say +-60k...so 15k over isn't that much more lol...

St0ney

uranus
another GT500 pro: no gas guzzler tax

i wonder if i should get the SVT performance option and track option...thats another 5K

i never done track racing tho...i dont know if i would start racing if i got the gt500

i would definately get the recaro racing seats

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to St0ney
I been watching reviews on a lot of cars I may not know the pros and cons to all of these but this is def a nice list.
I like the 3 cars you listed especially the 2012-13 (current) models have been upgraded nicely.

But the GT500 shelby pro is 662Hp like u mentioned, 0-60 3.5secs, No Gas Guzzler Tax btw ... But I would get the Boss instead as its more balanced car and save some $$ .. Either way I really like the new Mustangs (V6, GT, Boss, Shelby)

Audi S4 2013 is definitely a nice car especially going from the reviews great daily driver new navigation has Google Maps and all-wheel-drive

C63 AMG def my fav car after the Cadillac CTS-V this is a well balanced machine just like the S4 its AMG its a BMW M5 killer.

I think the choice is up to you now where you will feel whats suited for you.

St0ney

uranus
its a tough choice , if i had money id get them all

as for the gt500, if i dont get the svt performance and track options, would it take away from my street driving experience? or is it only used for on the race track?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to St0ney
is practicality important? or do you use a different car do run to the supermarket?

Trunk size, in traffic ride, enjoyment on the freeway in traffic.

Features should also matter. at 60k a car should have everything from power seats to navigation to an equal to On-Star. leather, satellite radio, heated seats, heated rear seats(saw this on an Audi once.).
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to St0ney
Test drive a used CL65 that's in your price range, just to do it. It's a $190k car so it has the luxury part covered. Its twin turbo v12 makes 604 horsepower and 740 torque so acceleration is covered (magazines list 11.8 @ 122 for the quarter mile). Brakes are 8-piston with massive rotors so it will stop. Like all Mercedes it's not light so it doesn't corner like a Miata but it will do anything you're willing to attempt on public roads in a car you value.

A test drive will tell you if it is or isn't what you're looking for. It's a very much Jekyll-and-Hyde, where it will commute just as comfy and quiet as you want or rip the doors off the car trying to keep you from merging. Passing on a 2-lane road will make you laugh every time.

There aren't a lot of cars out there that do either sport or luxury this well, and damn near none that can pull off both at this level. It isn't a "look at me" kind of car. Few people will realize that the standard-looking coupe next to them has 50% more torque than a Viper or hits 60 in 3.8 seconds. For some people that's exactly the kind of car they're looking for.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
sounds like a factory luxury sleeper.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to St0ney
Do you live where it snows?
If so is this car intended to be a year round driver, or just a fair weather car?

If a year round driver and you have snow, then I recommend staying away from rear wheel drives like the mustang. They handle poorly on snowy roads.
Of course adding a few bags of weight will improve it's handling in winter.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
said by Snakeoil:

Do you live where it snows?
If so is this car intended to be a year round driver, or just a fair weather car?

If a year round driver and you have snow, then I recommend staying away from rear wheel drives like the mustang. They handle poorly on snowy roads.
Of course adding a few bags of weight will improve it's handling in winter.

This USE to be true, until dedicated snow/winter tires came out.
I know folks who live in snowy places and have Camaro/Mustang/Cadillac CTS-V but of course its a must to have best performers snow/winter tires for them to survive but they do handle great with the right shoes.

But I also seen FWD/AWD cars where i live with crappy shoes and get stuck in minimal snows or see them slipping.

»www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f128···-100212/

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
I'm just going by my experience in NE Ohio with a 2wd pickup truck. When I first moved here from GA, and there was a little bit of snow on the ground, my truck couldn't climb a little hill.

But after adding 600 pounds to the back end, it does ok in the snow and ice.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

heebzman

@rr.com
I would get a Jag XF supercharged. One hellva sexy cat....

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

1 edit
reply to St0ney
said by St0ney:

Been thinking about getting a present for myself next year. Around 60K +/- is my limit. Tell me about the pros and cons of these three:

Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby (Pro: 662 HP for 60K. Con: Interior not as good?)

or Audi S4 (pro: least expensive of the three, refined luxurious interior. Con: least power of the three.)

or Mercedes Benz C63 AMG (Pro: it's AMG. Con: ?.)

?

As a Mercedes-Benz owner I say get the Mercedes-Benz. Only consider AMG Mercedes-Benz's though unless you are getting a 1998 or older. Non-AMG Mercedes-Benz's newer than 1998 are just glorified Chrysler's IMO.

How old are you? Also the MB is a better car for a 27+ "business" oriented person. Mustang's are kiddy cars IMO, I think anyone older than 25 driving them look like idiots, people older than 25 should be able to afford better cars than Mustang's like a Ford GT, Chevy Corvette, Dodge Viper, or a foreign sports car.

I would not even consider the Audi since it's not RWD, it's not on this list »www.rearwheeldrive.org/rwd/rwdlist.html

If you decide you can't afford a AMG Mercedes-Benz I would look at BMW's before considering a post 1998 non AMG MB.

BMW is one of the only car manufactures that still make and use Inline 6 cylinder engines and they're awesome, even more when turbo charged.

One car I would consider before a Mustang is a Dodge Charger R/T or SRT8.

Hope this info helps, feel free to PM me.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

4 edits
reply to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

Test drive a used CL65 that's in your price range, just to do it. It's a $190k car so it has the luxury part covered. Its twin turbo v12 makes 604 horsepower and 740 torque so acceleration is covered (magazines list 11.8 @ 122 for the quarter mile). Brakes are 8-piston with massive rotors so it will stop. Like all Mercedes it's not light so it doesn't corner like a Miata but it will do anything you're willing to attempt on public roads in a car you value.

A test drive will tell you if it is or isn't what you're looking for. It's a very much Jekyll-and-Hyde, where it will commute just as comfy and quiet as you want or rip the doors off the car trying to keep you from merging. Passing on a 2-lane road will make you laugh every time.

There aren't a lot of cars out there that do either sport or luxury this well, and damn near none that can pull off both at this level. It isn't a "look at me" kind of car. Few people will realize that the standard-looking coupe next to them has 50% more torque than a Viper or hits 60 in 3.8 seconds. For some people that's exactly the kind of car they're looking for.

I was going to suggest this one too. TopGear (UK's version that is). The general consensus was "it passes better than any car they've tested, except maybe a Bugatti" "embarrassing" other cars.

If you don't mind the V12 gas usage, that is the ultimate car to get. If you get the computer reprogrammed to remove the 150mph speed limiter it can do over 200mph.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD8HBcr8DP0

beats a GT500 at 12 minutes in.

Here is one for you: »www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale···11801867

--

St0ney

uranus
the only thing that concerns me about Mercedes is reliability. I have heard that there are issues with stuff breaking down quick in a mercedes.

i do like the interior tho. probly better than a mustang.

cl65 amg is nice but i still think its out of my reach, since id rather not get a 8 year old used model. my stance on sports car is not to get them used becuase for all i know the previous owners could have drag raced them at every traffic light.

also that in that vid , it is a 2008 gt500. i think the 2013 gt500 could beat it

St0ney

uranus

1 edit
reply to heebzman
said by heebzman :

I would get a Jag XF supercharged. One hellva sexy cat....

does look like a nice ride. i dont know too much about jaguars

the v4 or v6 version is within my reach

also the car im looking for is a daily driver...so ford gt is not what im looking for, besides that it is like $175K

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to St0ney
said by St0ney:

cl65 amg is nice but i still think its out of my reach, since id rather not get a 8 year old used model. my stance on sports car is not to get them used becuase for all i know the previous owners could have drag raced them at every traffic light.

While that is likly with any used Mustang, Mercedes-Benz owners are generally not like that.

said by St0ney:

also that in that vid , it is a 2008 gt500. i think the 2013 gt500 could beat it.

I doubt it.

The videos show un modded CL65's. I've heard with computer mods they can put out 1000ft lbs of torque. Then the issue becomes finding sticky enough tires for it.

Personally, for a powerful daily driver without the cost of the dealer maintenance required by Mercedes-Benz I would go for one of the HEMI V8 Dodge Charger's then add a ProCharger SuperCharger to it.

»procharger.com/hemi.shtml
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to St0ney
I have heard about the reliability issues with MB cars. frequently on car shows.

One upside with that SRT8 suggestion, Dodge parts will be made for a lot longer than MB parts and it will have greatly superior aftermarket support(in the US that is.)

Audis are good because like a Subaru they all come standard with AWD.

AWD or FWD is superior for a daily driver to RWD. Mainly if anything because they work fine with all season radials instead of having to shell out for actual snow tires.

that said even with an Audi if you live an a region with heavy snowfalls constantly I would suggest snow tires for AWD drive cars too.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to St0ney
Click for full size
RE-11 in 285/35/19
I mentioned the CL65 because my brother has one. He's had it for several years and it has needed nothing but regular maintenance. There was a leak where the driveshaft meets the trans and it cost a whopping $230 for the dealer to fix it.

Traction is a huge issue with the v12. It makes the rated 740 torque from 2000 to 4000 rpm, and it doesn't have a locking differential so it's all traction control till after 60 mph. Tire width is limited to ~ 285mm so you can't go huge.

We picked the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, a favorite among the supercharged C6 crowd as it is one of the few very sticky 19-inch tires you can buy. Grip is much improved over the stock Michelin Pilot Sports. You can really tell the extra traction in the 40-60 mph range at full throttle.

And aftermarket support? Just a tune of the engine and trans computers give you a car that runs 11.0s at 129+ mph. How much faster do you want to go?

It's wicked fast but isn't a sports car and doesn't pretend to be. It's just a blend of luxury and power -- and a blast to drive! A check of the AutoTrader shows a few examples in the southeast of 2006 models with 20-40k miles for around $45k. The later model redesigns seem to be hovering a little past your price point.

Consider the CL55 -- basically the same package with the supercharged v8 and "only" 493 hp / 513 torque. There are mods out the wazoo for that too.
--
John M - Cranky network guy