Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Larhleolynx

join:2012-11-22
Huntsville, ON
reply to Larhleolynx

Re: Trying to help a friend

I'm sorry, I was in a rush when I posted this, I should have mentioned a few things. The Landlord is his father and is okay with what his son wants. Neither of them want to deal with Bell if they don't have to, even though the owner has a business phone and DSL. None of the phone lines on the apartment are actually in-use currently. They're all dead lines, or should be.

Onto further details. The building that has that Demarc attached to it, is 2 apartments. But the building is on the same property as the main building which is serviced with a business Bell phone and a business Bell DSL line. As far as I can tell, the main building has its own drop, and its own gnarly looking setup in the basement. Is there any possibility that service by another company could be denied to the apartment building by the Bell business line running to the main building? They're on the same property, but separate units.

Why would my friend be told what he was told by the people on the phone? Is it just a tactic to get him to move on because they don't know how to help him, or just can't help him?

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
said by Larhleolynx:

None of the phone lines on the apartment are actually in-use currently. They're all dead lines, or should be.

Then there's absolutely no way to know what speed or level of service his line is capable of. The only way is to order the service, see how it works, and then fix the wiring problems (if there even are any problems). You might find that it works perfectly!

The presence of DSL service to the other building, or even the same building, should not affect his ability to get DSL.

Right Forum

@videotron.ca
reply to Larhleolynx
Forgot to mention:

How to test at the demarc:
If you look at your last picture you will see 3 jacks on the left of the wires. That is where the unit wiring (or house wiring) plugs into. Find the one (out of the three) that is for the unit that currently has Bell net and Bell phone (you mentioned the other units have no dial tone or something). You can find the correct one simply by unplugging it and plugging in a phone to see if you have dial tone.

This is the one where you will hook the modem up to. Then you log into the modem to get the line stats at that point. Then repeat this inside the unit.

If there is a difference between the demarc stats and inside the unit stats then we can tell if there is an inside wiring problem. And we can also tell from both the stats if there is a line problem outside the building that should be fixed by Bell.

You may want to post here with the modem model you have. Others can help show you how to log into the modem to get the stats.

Right Forum

@videotron.ca
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

The presence of DSL service to the other building, or even the same building, should not affect his ability to get DSL.

Is it another building? Maybe I misread. I was under the impression it was the same building but a different unit. In which case what one unit see's "should" be about the same the other will see (if bell doesn't play games with the remotes). If a remote is involved, all bets are off