uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to Rifleman

Re: Tire Inflation ?

Well--I filled up today and decided to check pressure in the tires.They were all at 28PSI. I suspect that the tires were filled on a hot day---and the cold weather caused the drop in pressure.
I put 38 PSI in them and there is a big difference in the car now. It feels more sensitive than before and seems to roll easier. I'm not sure about grip because at low pressure they stuck like glue to the road. They still do but haven't pushed it hard yet. Before I couldn't lock the tires in panic stops.
I'll leave them as is for now and see how they feel when I get used to it.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

said by Rifleman:

Before I couldn't lock the tires in panic stops.

You don't want to do that anyway.

Rifleman
Premium
p1a

No-----but with the old tires The antilock kicked in when a lady started across the intersection when I was about 30 feet away and stood on the brakes. That would have been my thrird wreck in 4 years in the exact same situation. They drive like idiots in this town.

epithy

@embarqhsd.net
reply to Rifleman

Go by vehicle specs. PSI affects wear, braking distance, gas milage, handling etc... The manufacturer has already figured out the optimal pressure for you.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Rifleman

My vote is to set the pressure at the vehicle recommendations for the load you'll be carrying, being sure you do so with the tires cold and not driven any distance.

If you're going back to South Florida, check 'em when you get to warmer climes. I don't think a couple of pounds over would hurt, over five pounds or more, I'd bleed off some unless I was heading into cold weather.

You've probably already done so, but just in case; »www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/···echid=73 for temp vs. pressure discussion.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Rifleman
Premium
p1a
reply to Rifleman

Thanks guys. Just drove the Sky Highway and Blue Ridge parkway. I had a blast and the tires perform great at 38PSI. My arms are sore from all the cornering. I DO notice a harmonic sound at 45--50MPH and think It's the tires. No big deal.
For the money---the ST suspension from 2005-2007 is hard to beat.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by Rifleman:

Just drove the Sky Highway and Blue Ridge parkway. I had a blast and the tires perform great at 38PSI. My arms are sore from all the cornering. I DO notice a harmonic sound at 45--50MPH and think

Don't forget that over-inflated tires are very quick to hydroplane on you while you are also accelerating the center wear out of the tires. Also the tires contact patch is smaller too from over-inflation which increases your vehicles stopping distance wet or dry.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

reply to Rifleman

If they are truly overinflated, yes. Just being higher than the auto manufacturer's recommendation does not necessarily qualify them as such. Ford Explorers in the Firestone tire fiasco specified 26 psi on tires that were rated for 35 (I'm guessing a 15-inch wheel). We see how well that worked out for them.

Give me 30k miles of great driving vs. 50k miles of so-so driving per set of tires any day.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

said by MooJohn:

Ford Explorers in the Firestone tire fiasco specified 26 psi on tires that were rated for 35

I believe they did that to reduce the likelihood of a rollover. Unfortunately, it backfired because the tires overheated, blew out, and caused the vehicle to roll over. Most likely those tires would have been safe if they had been inflated to 35 psi to begin with.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by Jim Gurd:

said by MooJohn:

Ford Explorers in the Firestone tire fiasco specified 26 psi on tires that were rated for 35

I believe they did that to reduce the likelihood of a rollover. Unfortunately, it backfired because the tires overheated, blew out, and caused the vehicle to roll over. Most likely those tires would have been safe if they had been inflated to 35 psi to begin with.

Nope, they didn't blow out (if some did it was an after effect), the tread separated and after that the leftover tire carcass would sometime disintegrate (then blow out afterwards) since the protection and overall tire integrity was gone with the tread.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_···troversy
quote:
The failures all involved tread separation — the tread peeling off followed often by tire disintegration. If that happened, and the vehicle was running at speed, there was a high likelihood of the vehicle leaving the road and rolling over.
And you should read about old rubber stock being used.

Firestone Plant in Illinois Made Many Problem Tires
»abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96172&page=1
quote:
ABCNEWS has learned that eight former employees of Bridgestone/Firestone Inc., have testified or promise to testify that they used out-of-date rubber stock for their tires; that radial coils were exposed to humidity, making them vulnerable to rust; and that final inspections were done too quickly.

A report in today’s Washington Post also said that some employees punctured bubbles in tires, in order to cover up flaws in the products.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to MooJohn

said by MooJohn:

If they are truly overinflated, yes. Just being higher than the auto manufacturer's recommendation does not necessarily qualify them as such. Ford Explorers in the Firestone tire fiasco specified 26 psi on tires that were rated for 35 (I'm guessing a 15-inch wheel). We see how well that worked out for

It wasn't the tire pressure of 26 that caused the defects in the tires to show themselves. Those tires would have had tread separation at any pressure. You can read about it in my prior post.
--

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to Rifleman

Use the number in the door jamb. If it gives a range use the high number.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

said by TheTechGuru:

Ranges are sometimes given for pickup trucks where the load on the rear axle can vary significantly. And some other times the pressure is for the rated load, which is often not the case. For example, my Bronco has the recommended tire pressure of 35/41 (front/rear) but I usually just use to 37 psi overall in dry weather, 35 in wet weather. Based on the wear pattern I can see that it is slightly high. Too high of a pressure is most dangerous on wet or icy roads.

As for those Exploders, I think 30 - 32 psi should've been the recommended pressure for them.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by aurgathor:

said by TheTechGuru:

Ranges are sometimes given for pickup trucks where the load on the rear axle can vary significantly. And some other times the pressure is for the rated load, which is often not the case. For example, my Bronco has the recommended tire pressure of 35/41 (front/rear) but I usually just use to 37 psi overall in dry weather, 35 in wet weather. Based on the wear pattern I can see that it is slightly high. Too high of a pressure is most dangerous on wet or icy roads.

As for those Exploders, I think 30 - 32 psi should've been the recommended pressure for them.

The reason I say use the high number is because fuel economy is usually the top priority these days.

My car says 29 normal 35 max load and it also says add 3psi for speeds over 100mph (designed for autobahn).

So I run it at 35.
--

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

So you are effectively over inflated unless you are loading the car to maximum capacity.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Rifleman

My low pressure light came on last night. Drove home and I see all four tires are low (~27 psi, should be 32). So now I have to put air in, and I hate those new machines at the gas stations.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

Just buy your own inflator -- I did that once most of the gas stations around here made their pump to require 25 or 50 cents for air. »Hand tire inflator...
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Guy at work has a battery-power compressor in his car, so I borrowed that and got my tires up to 32 psi.

I think I'll stop at Lowes and get one of these »www.lowes.com/pd_146781-40883-KL···=3522750
(was mentioned in the other thread)

With my old car, I never had to put air in the tires, so this caught me off guard.

MooJohn

Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to TheTechGuru

The "use the factory sticker" approach makes the huge assumption that the tire itself doesn't matter. As long as you have a round tire with x psi, you're fine. That's not something I'm willing to blindly concede.

There is no way that the ideal inflation for one tire is the ideal for all on a given vehicle. If you change from a 16 to a 17 inch wheel, is that cushy 29 psi still ideal? If you go from a $50 no-name tire to an expensive Pilot Sport, is 29 still ideal?

That doesn't even address the factors that make up the "ideal" point either. What is ideal? Is it the softest ride? Is it the minimum without risking tire damage? Is it harmonically tuned to the suspension resonances? We just don't know. At the recommended pressure, my car rides like a Lincoln -- because it is one. At 35 it rides the way I want it to. Guess where it's staying?

The sticker is ok for the OEM-equipped tires only. After that, using it might not get you killed but there's no way it is certain to be the ideal pressure either. There are just too many variables to accept it as gospel.
--

TheTechGuru

TEXAS

To find a car's ideal pressure you would need a special multi zone scale that can measure the weight across the tire's entire foot print. It should be as even and consistent as possible.
--

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
reply to MooJohn

said by MooJohn:

The "use the factory sticker" approach makes the huge assumption that the tire itself doesn't matter. As long as you have a round tire with x psi, you're fine. That's not something I'm willing to blindly concede.

There is no way that the ideal inflation for one tire is the ideal for all on a given vehicle. If you change from a 16 to a 17 inch wheel, is that cushy 29 psi still ideal? If you go from a $50 no-name tire to an expensive Pilot Sport, is 29 still ideal?

My last car had different guidelines for different rim sizes on the placard. Also, If you stick to the ratings of the stock tires, PSI should remain the same. Obviously, if you get a tire with a different load index and/or speed rating, the handling characteristics will be different and might require a PSI adjustment to obtain similar wheel response.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

One should note, THE PSI NUMBERS ON THE DOOR STICKER ARE INTENDED FOR THE TIRE SIZE PRINTED ON THE DOOR STICKER! DUH!

Sorry I didn't say that when I said to use the door sticker, I over estimated everyone's intelligence and just assumed everyone was intelligent enough to figure that out.

--

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA

said by TheTechGuru:

One should note, THE PSI NUMBERS ON THE DOOR STICKER ARE INTENDED FOR THE TIRE SIZE PRINTED ON THE DOOR STICKER! DUH!

It's also optimized for the tire rating, which isn't usually represented on the placard as far as I've seen. That was mostly my point, I was agreeing that different quality tires may have different sweet spots.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

MooJohn

Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to TheTechGuru

said by TheTechGuru:

Sorry I didn't say that when I said to use the door sticker, I over estimated everyone's intelligence and just assumed everyone was intelligent enough to figure that out.

Ah ha! So at that point one's personal judgement is perfectly capable of determining the proper inflation pressure whereas with stock tires the same reasoning cannot be trusted. I am able to determine the proper pressure of aftermarket tires but if the car came with the same size from the OEM then I would have zero input.

Makes perfect sense.

Who knew such infallible automotive wisdom was contained on the little silver sticker inside the door jamb?
--

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

My low pressure light came on last night. Drove home and I see all four tires are low (~27 psi, should be 32). So now I have to put air in, and I hate those new machines at the gas stations.

Everyone should own a basic tanked air compressor IMO.

»www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware···tDisplay
--

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to MooJohn

said by MooJohn:

That doesn't even address the factors that make up the "ideal" point either. What is ideal? Is it the softest ride? Is it the minimum without risking tire damage? Is it harmonically tuned to the suspension resonances? We just don't know. At the recommended pressure, my car rides like a Lincoln -- because it is one. At 35 it rides the way I want it to. Guess where it's staying?

The sticker is ok for the OEM-equipped tires only. After that, using it might not get you killed but there's no way it is certain to be the ideal pressure either. There are just too many variables to accept it as gospel.

I switched from 18" rims to 20" rims. When I first had the 20" rims on, I ran the tires at 40 PSI, then went back to 35 PSI like the door jamb said after finding the ride to be too rough and having less grip than the smaller stock sized tires. Once I dropped the pressure on the tires the ride became close to what it was like on the stock rims and the grip went up dramatically.
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

I think I'll stop at Lowes and get one of these »www.lowes.com/pd_146781-40883-KL···=3522750
(was mentioned in the other thread)

So I got the Kobalt unit. It's pretty nice, although noisy as hell. It has a digital PSI display. You just set the desired pressure, hit start, and it runs & shuts off automatically when the target pressure is reached.

Only thing that concerns me is that I can see sparks inside the unit when it's running. I guess it's the motor commutator??

shdesigns