Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ to MooJohn

Premium Member

to MooJohn

Re: Tire Inflation ?

said by MooJohn:

The "use the factory sticker" approach makes the huge assumption that the tire itself doesn't matter. As long as you have a round tire with x psi, you're fine. That's not something I'm willing to blindly concede.

There is no way that the ideal inflation for one tire is the ideal for all on a given vehicle. If you change from a 16 to a 17 inch wheel, is that cushy 29 psi still ideal? If you go from a $50 no-name tire to an expensive Pilot Sport, is 29 still ideal?

My last car had different guidelines for different rim sizes on the placard. Also, If you stick to the ratings of the stock tires, PSI should remain the same. Obviously, if you get a tire with a different load index and/or speed rating, the handling characteristics will be different and might require a PSI adjustment to obtain similar wheel response.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

One should note, THE PSI NUMBERS ON THE DOOR STICKER ARE INTENDED FOR THE TIRE SIZE PRINTED ON THE DOOR STICKER! DUH!

Sorry I didn't say that when I said to use the door sticker, I over estimated everyone's intelligence and just assumed everyone was intelligent enough to figure that out.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ

Premium Member

said by TheTechGuru:

One should note, THE PSI NUMBERS ON THE DOOR STICKER ARE INTENDED FOR THE TIRE SIZE PRINTED ON THE DOOR STICKER! DUH!

It's also optimized for the tire rating, which isn't usually represented on the placard as far as I've seen. That was mostly my point, I was agreeing that different quality tires may have different sweet spots.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to TheTechGuru

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

Sorry I didn't say that when I said to use the door sticker, I over estimated everyone's intelligence and just assumed everyone was intelligent enough to figure that out.

Ah ha! So at that point one's personal judgement is perfectly capable of determining the proper inflation pressure whereas with stock tires the same reasoning cannot be trusted. I am able to determine the proper pressure of aftermarket tires but if the car came with the same size from the OEM then I would have zero input.

Makes perfect sense.

Who knew such infallible automotive wisdom was contained on the little silver sticker inside the door jamb?

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

My low pressure light came on last night. Drove home and I see all four tires are low (~27 psi, should be 32). So now I have to put air in, and I hate those new machines at the gas stations.

Everyone should own a basic tanked air compressor IMO.

»www.homedepot.com/Tools- ··· tDisplay
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to MooJohn

to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

The "use the factory sticker" approach makes the huge assumption that the tire itself doesn't matter. As long as you have a round tire with x psi, you're fine. That's not something I'm willing to blindly concede.

There is no way that the ideal inflation for one tire is the ideal for all on a given vehicle. If you change from a 16 to a 17 inch wheel, is that cushy 29 psi still ideal? If you go from a $50 no-name tire to an expensive Pilot Sport, is 29 still ideal?

That doesn't even address the factors that make up the "ideal" point either. What is ideal? Is it the softest ride? Is it the minimum without risking tire damage? Is it harmonically tuned to the suspension resonances? We just don't know. At the recommended pressure, my car rides like a Lincoln -- because it is one. At 35 it rides the way I want it to. Guess where it's staying?

The sticker is ok for the OEM-equipped tires only. After that, using it might not get you killed but there's no way it is certain to be the ideal pressure either. There are just too many variables to accept it as gospel.

I switched from 18" rims to 20" rims. When I first had the 20" rims on, I ran the tires at 40 PSI, then went back to 35 PSI like the door jamb said after finding the ride to be too rough and having less grip than the smaller stock sized tires. Once I dropped the pressure on the tires the ride became close to what it was like on the stock rims and the grip went up dramatically.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by Bob4:

I think I'll stop at Lowes and get one of these »www.lowes.com/pd_146781- ··· =3522750
(was mentioned in the other thread)

So I got the Kobalt unit. It's pretty nice, although noisy as hell. It has a digital PSI display. You just set the desired pressure, hit start, and it runs & shuts off automatically when the target pressure is reached.

Only thing that concerns me is that I can see sparks inside the unit when it's running. I guess it's the motor commutator??

shdesigns