dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Gone

Re: [Serious] So tell me guys...

said by Gone:

Something like this should never happen under any reasonable circumstances.

if they were that confident that the units would be trouble free for a very long time, the units would come with a 10 year warranty...or even a 5 year warranty...they don't...there's a reason for that.

if it makes you feel any better, i never got to use the 5 year warranty on my front load LG washer...it was $89...i did get to use warranties on other items i have purchased though.

in an event, i am curious to know about these implied "consumer protection" secret warranties you talk about...you are correct, i have never heard of them.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by dirtyjeffer:

I am curious to know about these implied "consumer protection" secret warranties you talk about...you are correct, i have never heard of them.

Most Canadian provinces (including Ontario) have laws called "Sale of Goods Act" or similar, these laws recogmize the concept of implied guarantees of fitness.

For example:

Where the buyer buys the goods for a particular purpose, and the goods are of a type usually sold by the seller, there is a condition that the goods must be reasonably fit for the purpose for which they were sold

»www.ucalgary.ca/biztechlaw/node/203

I think that a waashing machine that goes Rambo in 16 months is not reasonably fit.

Likewise:

Consumer protection legislation also prevents the waiver of certain implied warranties and conditions awarded by provincial Sale of Goods Acts.

As an example, in Ontario, under the Sale of Goods Act, there are implied conditions in certain specific situations that goods will be of merchantable quality and fit for their intended purpose.

According to the CPA, these implied conditions cannot be waived by a consumer. Additionally, the supplier is deemed to warrant that any services supplied are of a reasonably acceptable quality.

»www.cbj.ca/legal/august_09_legal···x.1.html