Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to Corehhi

Re: WIN8 on new laptop=crap

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here are a few screenies to show the start menu and items pinned to the task bar. The ugly metro tile screen is gone forever. What you see is what the computer boots up into.

In my opinion Windows 8 is a bigger improvement in functionality and usability over Windows 7, than 7 was over Vista. Microsoft has done a lot of house cleaning and de-bloating of the base code. Everything is easier to do and more intuitive.

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Ok I can work with that. BTW I have seen no reason to upgrade from XP, win 7 isn't an upgrade except for the fact MS is killing off XP.

I'm done for tonight I got side tracked with black Friday deals.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

2 edits

said by Corehhi:

Ok I can work with that.

When I installed Classic Shell I un-checked the "IE 9" option. I like IE 10 the way it is and am not sure what the "IE 9" option would do. So many computers, so little time....

Edit -Lots of good YouTube videos on Classic Shell and W8. Here is one ;

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0L4Cte56tc

TH47

join:2005-10-29
Reviews:
·Videotron
reply to Corehhi

said by Corehhi:

Ok I can work with that. BTW I have seen no reason to upgrade from XP, win 7 isn't an upgrade except for the fact MS is killing off XP.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I was enchanted from the start by the BIG ameliorations between 7 and XP.

As for between 7 and 8 I'll take your word, but I wouldn't buy 8 anyway without first reading a lot more on it...

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

said by TH47:

said by Corehhi:

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I was enchanted from the start by the BIG ameliorations between 7 and XP.

As for between 7 and 8 I'll take your word, but I wouldn't buy 8 anyway without first reading a lot more on it...

Win 95 big upgrade after that Win 98SE was a good upgrade then XP, all useful worth while upgrades. I don't see any rush to upgrade from XP and last I saw 50% of the market is still XP. That's simply bad for MS their Holy Grail is an OS that you pay a monthly fee for and they simply keep remotely upgrading it for you forever. That's not going to happen so they just pump out an OS every few years hoping everyone upgrades, according to MS these OS's are always better than the last. Just group thought on this one, "everyone loves phones and apps, all computers should be that way". Say it enough times around MS and they all believed it after a while. DSL reports is a bad example of the normal population how do you think Win 8 is going go to over with people with malware infested computers and unprotected routers??? I'm sure they will just get Win 8, fool with it a bit and be good to go in a day or two??? LOL. Win 8 is going to be a huge bomb with no business person in their right mind touching it.

MS don't believe your own hype. Or as they say don't get high on your own supply.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

said by Corehhi:

I don't see any rush to upgrade from XP and last I saw 50% of the market is still XP.

Concur - WXP, as OS, does everything that I need from my computer to run my applications. And it does it in efficient way (still run OS on 18GiB partition and with only 512MiB of RAM, try do to it with W7). And because (as opposed to MS's marketing machine pitches) I need my computers not to run OS, but to run my applications with help of that OS, I still no need to upgrade it (contemporary browsers are gone insane with gobbling memory these days, but that's a different story).

That's simply bad for MS their Holy Grail ... so they just pump out an OS every few years hoping everyone upgrades, according to MS these OS's are always better than the last.

Yes, indeed. Until W8 their marketeers always tried to convince us that OS is how it looks - the bigger and more colorful icons; the better, the more transparency or aero effects, the better, etc. Now, with introducing W8 ,they have changed direction at 180° and now we should believe, that OS is not how it looks, but rather what is under its hood. Year, right... They think, they are always right and consumers are always dumb and incapable to see what they are doing... They simply want to pump it to the left, then to the right and to do it again and again ... just to make more money from the waves.

OS must be separated from the "how it looks" marketing nonsense. OS is first of all an environment to run applications. And how efficiently it does it for users - is the only important matter. Will MS span its business between phones and computers with the same UI paradigm is not...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...