All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno to spookypuff66

to spookypuff66

Re: Installing OS in NUC

All you need is a 4GB USB flash drive and the Windows 8 installation disk. You can make the flash drive bootable via diskpart and from there you just copy the files from the Windows 8 DVD onto the flash drive to make a Windows 8 flash install drive. After you are done, format the flash drive and use it for whatever you were using it before.
spookypuff66
join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

Got it, thanks. Looking forward to the exercise.
spookypuff66

2 edits

spookypuff66 to Chrno

to Chrno
Hi, I would like to install the OS via a down loadable ISO file. I can't find where to start the download on the Microsoft site. The only download that I can find is for upgrading to the new from the old OS. Microsoft describes step by step how to install the OS with a ISO and a flash drive and then install onto a virgin computer's SSD.
I had a chat with Microsoft. The chatter said "no way".

Note: "Windows 8 is also sold as a downloadable ISO file"
»pcsupport.about.com/od/w ··· -usb.htm

I guess my main question is where on the Microsoft site can I find where to initiate a virgin download. Thanks
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno

Well, right now I know of two ways you can obtain a Windows 8 ISO:
1. Get it from the physical installation media and
2. Download it from Microsoft

There are also two ways that I know of from which you can use to obtain the ISO:
1. Buy it online from Microsoft and you will be provided a link to download the ISO.
2. Buying the upgrade from Microsoft if you already have a version of Windows that's fits into the Upgrade License.

Since you weren't provided a link for the download, I am guessing you haven't purchased a license?
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

I can;t find a place where I can purchase a new license.
All purchases are for the upgrade.
Thanks. I will just give it up for now.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Try the info off this site showing how it is done.

»www.intowindows.com/down ··· uct-key/
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

Again, I give up. I have created an account with Microsoft but the only download I can find for Windows 8 is an upgrade version. I need an OS for a computer sans OS. Thanks again for trying to help me. I'll watch the below site to see how it goes.

»www.amazon.com/review/RQ ··· sHelpful

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

It seems you have to pay for the key first - have you done that much? Upgrade or not?
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

1 edit

spookypuff66

No. Microsoft told me they don't download complete versions of 8, just upgrade versions. I'm not going to pay for an upgrade which I may not be able to use in the NUC. Intel has stated that they will be working with their partners to bring out various SKUs. I will wait.

Note: Check out all the reviews of the NUC. I haven't found one that addresses the OS.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· &bih=290

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks for the information, sounds like the link maybe incorrect then for now.

I gather it will come out in due course....