MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Ree

MVM

to Ree

Re: Incredibly slow RDP

said by Ree:

So Home -> Work is fine, but Work -> Home is dead slow.

You work network is the problem. Check with your work IT department and find out what is going on.

The easy thing to do is to make sure that at work you've cleared all caches, reboot and try again. If the problem still persists troubleshooting starts at the work network, router, switch, cables, ISP, workstation and your IT group manages that.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree

said by mozerd:

You work network is the problem. Check with your work IT department and find out what is going on.

Don't think that's it. Speedtest from work computer shows 150mbps up and down, so the work computer's internet connection is obviously fine.

I also just tested connecting from my work PC to 3 different off-site VPS servers I run, and all 3 connections run at full speed.

I just realized I'm running RDP on an alternate port at home though -- maybe the unknown port is being throttled by work or Rogers. I'll put it back to 3389 later and see if that changes anything.
Ree

Ree

said by Ree:

I just realized I'm running RDP on an alternate port at home though -- maybe the unknown port is being throttled by work or Rogers. I'll put it back to 3389 later and see if that changes anything.

Apparently that was it. And apparently the throttle is on Rogers' side. Just re-tested to confirm Work -> Home was still slow as shit (and it was).

Then I reconfigured Home to listen on 3389 and re-tested, and surprise surprise I got full speeds back!

So to find out who to blame, I then configured one of my VPSes to listen on the alternate port Home was previously using. Connected Work -> VPS, and all was fast.

So it seems like Work is happy to connect to an alternate port, which can only mean that Rogers is not happy to accept connections on an alternate port.

Who knows maybe Rogers thought it was malware since the port I chose wouldn't be normally used by anything legitimate, but if that's the case it would be good if they made that "feature" known!
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by Ree:

said by Ree:

Apparently that was it. And apparently the throttle is on Rogers' side. Just re-tested to confirm Work -> Home was still slow as shit (and it was).

Then I reconfigured Home to listen on 3389 and re-tested, and surprise surprise I got full speeds back!

So to find out who to blame, I then configured one of my VPSes to listen on the alternate port Home was previously using. Connected Work -> VPS, and all was fast.

So it seems like Work is happy to connect to an alternate port, which can only mean that Rogers is not happy to accept connections on an alternate port.

Who knows maybe Rogers thought it was malware since the port I chose wouldn't be normally used by anything legitimate, but if that's the case it would be good if they made that "feature" known!

Rogers throttling more real-time traffic against CRTC ITMP rules.. Big shock there. My complaint seems to have died at Enforcements since Rogers announced in March they were killing throttling by the end of the year.

Ree9, you may have to play whack a mole with the port #s til the end of December, as they do tend to randomly start throttling a port you've used with RDP for a while.
Ree
h0h0h0

Ree

said by resa1983:

Ree9, you may have to play whack a mole with the port #s til the end of December, as they do tend to randomly start throttling a port you've used with RDP for a while.

Good call. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but I just tried connecting to home from work again this morning, and it's slow as shit again.

Wonder if it's possible to change ports without rebooting by restarting a service or something...

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

RDP port is set in the Windows registry but it would be easier to setup your router with a static internal port of 3389 and then keep cycling the external port to something random. That could be scripted with PowerShell.

Either way you shouldn't have to play games to get good, stable performance.
zavar3
join:2004-11-29
Kitchener, ON

zavar3

An alternate is to RDP via an SSH session. I have SSH setup on my router and then use Putty to initiate the session. Doing this I haven't experienced any speed issues.
Ree
h0h0h0

Ree to creed3020

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

RDP port is set in the Windows registry but it would be easier to setup your router with a static internal port of 3389 and then keep cycling the external port to something random. That could be scripted with PowerShell.

Yeah I know how to set it, just didn't know how to make the change effective without rebooting (don't want to interrupt whoever might be using it at home). Turns out you can make the change effective without rebooting by disabling remote desktop and then re-enabling it (via the standard GUI dialogs). Of course you have to be at the local computer though (since you can't re-enable it remotely after disabling it!), so that's not too helpful.

And yeah, I used to control the port via port forwarding rules when I was with Teksavvy and using my own router. Now with the DPC3825 I don't seem to have that ability.
said by zavar3:

An alternate is to RDP via an SSH session. I have SSH setup on my router and then use Putty to initiate the session. Doing this I haven't experienced any speed issues.

I used to connect to a VPN server at home before RDPing in, and I never had speed issues with that setup either. Makes me wonder if 1723 isn't ever throttled, so that's what I'm using as my RDP port now. If it gets throttled again, I may have to go back to the VPN setup.