spc
Search similar:

uniqs
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

[WIN7] 0x80070035 - Network Path Not Found...

All;

I've read alot about this error message, and all the documented fixes, but there's still a small group of people who always respond, "thanks, but that still didn't fix it..." (I'm one such person) BUT............... I have new info that hopefully the experts here can help me figure out, so we can fix this.

I believe that the error is somehow related to how you answer a particular question that win7 shows you, when you first build your system, or add an interface. --It's that dialog where it wants you to categorize your NIC as Public, Private, or "Work". I picked "work" for my wireless interface on my work laptop that I just got. --I can map drives just fine. None of the w7 systems in my house can map drives anymore (to my server, on my LAN -- all same IP subnet -- no firewalls, no nothing.. not even local firewalls). I'm thinking that I picked "Private" for those NICs.

So, it seems that maybe when you pick "Private", it kills the drive mapping ability, and when you pick 'Work', you can map drives just fine. I need a little help to perform my correlation. Can someone tell me, 1.) How to display the current 'location' setting for each NIC (Pub, Pri, Work) and 2.) How to cause w7 to 'forget' this setting so I can be prompted again & change the category from one to the other, to see if somehow this fixes the problem. I'd really love to map drives to my server; its how we transfer files between computers on my network.

Thanks!

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2
I think I can answer both questions.

If you go into Control Panel, then click on "Network and Internet" and then finally click on "Network and Sharing Center", you should see a screen similar to the one I posted above as Picture #1.

On that screen, it will list all your active connections and networks. In my case, I only have one network (as I have one NIC in my desktop), and when I built it, I assigned it as "Home".

If you want to change that, just click on the blue text under the word Network (I have a red arrow pointing to it). You will then be presented with the image I show in Picture #2. From there, you can modify the "Network Location". You also have the option at the bottom to enable/disable the ability for Windows to ask you every time you change networks (set them all as public, and don't ask). I have that turned off.

--Brian
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

Darn... I thought that had promise.. I made the switch & it made no difference. I even turned 'HomeGroup' services back on & did nothing. Also saw an advanced setting where you can allow HomeGroup to manage credentials, or allow people to supply their own credentials when making remote drive connections. Tried both on/off, and no difference...

When it says 'path not found', it's referring to the UNC path I'm guessing..? I"m using

\\10.10.10.10\driveshare

where 'driveshare' is the name of my shared drive, on machine 10.10.10.10 Does it want an FQDN?

Why oh why couldn't beloved winXP hang around for just a bit longer???

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I would guess that "Path Not Found" is talking about the full path, including the IP or FQDN, and the share.

By chance did something change with the share(s) on the remote server? I'm guessing you already checked that, but it would be something I would check.

Can you map the default shares, like C$, D$, etc?

--Brian
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

OP here: my work laptop can map to this share just fine, but nothing else in my house can. Another related symptom.. When I bring up explorer, it 'looks for' other machines on my network, and finds 3 that are running 'homeshare'. When I click on the plus sign to expand either of them, /instantly/, the same message comes up, about path not found.
jacour
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Matthews, NC

jacour to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
I don't know if this helps or not, but make sure that you have "Password Protected Sharing" turned off on both machines and remember that there is a Home profile and a Public profile so there are four places to check.

Also, check your services on the machine that is not cooperating and see if the "Homegroup Listener" service is running and whether you can start it. If not, check to see if Windows Firewall service is running and, if not, enable it AND start it before you try to fix Homegroup Listener. MS does not list this as a dependency in the services dialog but Homegroup Listener will not start for me unless WFW is running.

Now, does anybody know why I can share a folder on my computer with another homegroup member, but not share a folder on an external drive attached to my computer? I have a big external HDD that I use for taking backups that is USB attached and while I can share it, when the remote computer tries to read or write to that drive it gets prompted for credentials (user and PW) but we don't have such credentials on these computers (just my wife and I inside our house so no security issue). She can image her drive to my main "C:" disk with Acronis True Image, but she can't image to the external USB. Why does it matter if the target disk is internal to my computer and connected via the motherboard bus versus USB attached?
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

I just built a new w7 system at home, and replicated the problem, and can fix it, but the 'fix' doesn't work on my work laptop. I can map drives just fine with "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" service enabled. When I disabled it (I've always been taught that it's a security hazzard), I got the Network Path Not Found error. WinXP can map drives without that running, but it looks like w7 cannot.

Re-starting the service allows me to map drives again. I put the interface into "Work", and made sure file/print sharing was enabled in that group.

BUT: I tried the same fix to my work laptop, and still got network Path Not Found. I'll keep looking.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona

Gents,

Theory:
As 1 fix mentions IP addressing instead of the computer name to get around the problem and it's relative to DNS, wouldn't clearing of the DNS cache to remove the old addressing also need to be done?

I know this doesn't really help the initial question, but might help the troubleshooting for those machines you seem to see the error continue as in the laptop scenario?