Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20

Re: Facebook - Users No Longer Have A Say In Its Privacy Rules

It's optional. I can't go to a public site and look up banking statements.

I can go to Facebook and look up whatever someone posts and info processed will be at your discretion and to whatever permissions you have it set to display per role. If you post something yourself you are giving that info to whoever owns that cloud service.

Banks already sell your shopping habits based on zip code. Don't like it? Do t join.

If you post something on the cloud (Facebook, Dropbox, aws based stuff, google) expect it to be harvested and crawled.

I'm not defending the practice but people aren't complete innocent victims.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Mike:

I can go to Facebook and look up whatever someone posts

You can't look up what I post to Facebook that is designated "friends only" though.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

If you disable public search, this is key, and set your account settings to custom,
no one can find you via a seach engine assuming you don't respond to those with Publicly set accounts.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

I don't mind being found; but I do limit who can see what I post.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

I'm indexed enough as it is, so, that's off as well as much other data collection stuff. For those more seasoned with Facebook privacy settings, you can limit many things, as you wish.

Much of what I bring to you here, is shared with security community folks on Facebook. Not that it's for everyone. ¯\_()_/¯