Web Developer
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-09
Williamsport, MD
kudos:3

1 edit

WordPress base directory problem

Hi all,

A local company built a WordPress site for a friend, then tried to move it to my server where I'll be hosting it for them. Upon moving to my server, the site stopped working when accessed directly by the domain name ( »www.pinpointdraperies.com/ ). Only a blank white page is given. Attempts to request index.php with no extra path also fails ( »www.pinpointdraperies.com/index.php ) via redirecting back to / and giving the same white page.

It is only if we request one of the pages that it actually works ( »www.pinpointdraperies.com/home OR »www.pinpointdraperies.com/index.php/home ).

The seemingly standard WP ModRewrite is in place via .htaccess:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

I know very little about WordPress, and the local developer is thus far at a loss as to how to correct it (it was working on his dev system fine...). Can anyone offer any tips on getting this working such that the same page which loads when /home is requested also works when the root directory is requested?

Thanks,
Jim

--
The Yakabox | My Development Sandbox | LinkedIn Profile

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

What do your error and access logs show when you try to load the base URL? The rewrite statements look fine.

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD
reply to JAAulde

There are no errors. Access log shows the requests being made--when index.php is requested I see that, then the resulting request for / due to the redirect.

I did jump into #wordpress on IRC and was told that the developer who did this should have followed a specific process for moving a WP site. They linked me to »codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress which I passed on to the dev.

Hopefully he'll find what he needs to properly move from the dev server to my live one.

Thanks,
Jim
--

Toad

join:2001-07-22
Bradford, ON
kudos:1

3 recommendations

reply to JAAulde

Try removing the default.html from the root directory.
--
»www.toddsplace.ca

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

LOL, wtf!??! That solved a big portion of it.

I have no idea why he distributed his stuff with a default.html file. I hadn't even looked to see what other files were in the dir.

How did you know?

--

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD
reply to JAAulde

Ok, with default.html removed, the developer resolved the other issues the site was having. Thanks so much to all who took a look, and to Toad See Profile for the simple fix!

Toad

Bradford, ON
reply to JAAulde

It was probably there as part of the empty folder structure setup from your host. He just copied the files in and left the existing files as is.
--
»www.toddsplace.ca

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

said by Toad:

It was probably there as part of the empty folder structure setup from your host. He just copied the files in and left the existing files as is.

No, definitely not. Dreamhost doesn't put a `Default.html`file in the doc root when setting up a newly hosted site, and even if they did I had a (working) temp page (index.html) in place when I gave this dev the login info. He moved everything which I had in place out of doc root and into a temp directory, and copied his stuff over into doc root. This file was in the stuff he placed on the server.
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to JAAulde

What is the priority order for serving up default files? If on the old host index.php was higher than default.html, or default.html wasn't setup to be a default page, then it might not have ever been an issue.

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

said by cdru:

What is the priority order for serving up default files? If on the old host index.php was higher than default.html, or default.html wasn't setup to be a default page, then it might not have ever been an issue.

Yeah, I figure it was on his own system for some reason and `index.php` took precedence. I just found it odd that he was distributing that file, and even odder that Toad See Profile was able to guess it out of thin air.
--

Toad

Bradford, ON
reply to JAAulde

Toad has been bit by something similar before.

My first guess was a database connection issue with the errors disabled but I noted that the link to your wp-admin page was working and although I missed it in your message the first time, you had indicated the internal pages were working.

Tried /default.html and it came up blank. Tried /kdjsdkfjkfl.html and got a 404. That's when the A-HA hit.
--
»www.toddsplace.ca

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

said by Toad:

Toad has been bit by something similar before.

Tried /default.html and it came up blank. Tried /kdjsdkfjkfl.html and got a 404. That's when the A-HA hit.

Ahh, got ya. Makes good sense.
--
Expand your moderator at work

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD
reply to JAAulde

Re: WordPress base directory problem

I did via IRC. They were at a loss on this particular issue, though I don't blane them.