spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Proview

@bell.ca

[Cable] Loosing signal strenth in the evening, (after sundown)?

I just bought a new LG 55" Smart Tv. It worked beautifully for the first 2 weeks. Now, after sundown I get buzzing from the internal speakers and ghosting lines moving vertically. I have a Rogers digital box and no other peripherals attached.
None of these symptoms are there during the day.
Coincidence or is there something else afoot (?) throttling of the signal at night because of heavy use?
I intend to return the TV before the 30 days are up, but could this happen again with an LG or anyother TV?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Re: [Cable] Loosing signal strenth in the evening, (after sundow

If this is TV service related issue and you are with Rogers, then your best bet would be to post in the »Rogers forum. If it's specific to the TV, probably discussing this with LG would be your best support.

I found that when I had buzzing from my speakers, this was due to bad grounding of electrical wiring in the plug.

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON
reply to Proview
Proview if you'd like this in the Rogers forum just post saying so and I'll move it there for you rather than starting a new thread.
Expand your moderator at work

Proview

@bell.ca
reply to fourboxers

Re: [Cable] Loosing signal strenth in the evening, (after sundow

this probably be on the rogers forum site. Please transfer.
thanks,
Proview

Proview

@bell.ca
reply to TSI Martin
Poor grounding seems to be the consensus, but why only after sundown?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
It sounds like, he's still getting some analogue services through the digital box and there's a poor connectioni on the cable causing ingress. These things usually get worse in the evenings because of declining temps causing physical contraction of connections (remember things shrink a bit when they get cold and expand when hot).

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
reply to Proview
Call Rogers and have them do a signal check on your digital box and if need be they will schedule a tech visit.

snorlax14

join:2007-11-20
Thornhill, ON
Similar problem here... On cold nights, +2 or below I would experience freezing (no pun intended) on various channels. Sometimes the phone modem would also lose lock and I would have no dial tone. The signal strength drops about 15 to 20 units. During the day I would get +5 on a given channel and when the cold hits it drops to -15. The reverse power also jumps from 39 to 50 indicating to me the box has to push more power down the line to maintain a good connection. Called Rogers. The tech ran a temp line from the street box to my demarc, but the problem persisted. He called "maintenance" who came by a few days later. That tech found the problem. It was a loose connection on a splitter up the street that feeds the street box near my house. He said the connection was just barely making contact and that the cold weather caused some contraction making the connection worse. All is well now. Hope it lasts.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

4 edits
I see what you guys are talking about now. At the bottom of my yard is a telephone pole. On one side of the pole is a Rogers node. On the other, a Bell node. Both original nodes were 50 years old (plus/minus). The pole was erected in 1946 (stamped).

After frequent unwarranted disconnections from Bell and Rogers services (usually during rainy or very cold weather) both nodes were replaced last year along with the pole (it was too old for the tech guys to climb anymore with their ladders)

Not one problem with either service since......

Proview

@bell.ca
An update. 1st., thank you everyone for your input.
2nd. I've definitely determined it is the Rogers digital box.
When I go to Netflix or my dvd player there is no noise from the speakers.
Rogers gave me a new box but it only had a minimal effect. I was told that I had a strong signal strength. One of the phone techs told me to make the connection from the digital box to the TV using a coax cable, removing the component wires. That fixed the problem.
He also told me that often it is the white wire that causes the buzzing. He knows of some people who have cut into the wire and cut the ground, and that fixed the problem. Not my cup of tea.
However I'm not happy with the picture, so I'm still after Rogers. I don't want to go HD until I'm certain the problem will not recur.
I wonder if the problem will show up with Bell HD(?)

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

If you have an HD box, I'd suggest getting an HDMI cable; they sell them at Dollarama now and for $2 the quality of the cable is fine.

Also if you were using the red/white cable that came with your Rogers box, I find that they are prone to interference due to the dual plug on them.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
If it's red and white, that's not component video, that's composite.

Component is a variant on RGB signals normally multiplexed with luminance and sync, to give Y Pb Pr signals (You'll probably see these labels on the back of the box). THe cables usually used are RGB cables. (As an aside, in most RGB cabling systems, Sync is either multiplexed with Green or uses a separate cable)

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by sbrook:

If it's red and white, that's not component video, that's composite.

Component still uses red and white for audio, which is what issue is.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
To quote the OP "ghosting lines moving vertically" ... that's video

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by sbrook:

To quote the OP "ghosting lines moving vertically" ... that's video

To quote the OP "I get buzzing from the internal speakers and ghosting lines moving vertically" that's also audio.