Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life

join:2002-11-09

2 edits

[IA] MC throttling downloads?

ok so long story short...

i had the 20mbps MAX package and TV - for YEARS.. 20mbps was flawless about 98% of the time.
i dropped TV and dropped internet to a promo $25 for 12mbps. which ran pretty much the same... good.

now, mediacom up's the packages a few mbps each, so now i am on 16mbps....
but my speeds are SH|T.. absolute crap.
98% of the time i am seeing 6-9mbps.
plus my internet will just drop...
all modem and router config's indicate i am still connected but the internet is dead, cant even ping.
so i reboot the modem and i am back up... but at about 1/2 speed.

today, i went to grab the latest ubuntu dvd via usenets and i was running a solid 16.5-ish Mbps.
about 1/2 way through my internet drops out.. dead in the water, but again everything looks ok.
i reboot the modem and i am back up and running at a MAX of 9.5Mbps .., not 12, not 14,, not 16 (like i should have)

WTF is mediacom doing?

i am not over my monthly caps, not even remotely close.
not that they tell anyone openly on their site or monthly bills what those caps are. i dont even know what mine is but i think i got screwed when i switched to the 12mbps promo, no one said CAP's were implemented if i switched.

signed... "1/2 speed in Hiawatha"

--
System Specs
Intel Q9650 Quad Core @ 3.85ghz Water Cooled
DFI X48 T2RSB Plus - 2gb OCZ PC9200 Reapers -SB X-Fi -8800 GTX 768meg
Logitech Z5300 THX 5.1 spk
Dell 2407 LCD and Dell 2007 LCD

v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life

i just rebooted the modem again and am back to normal.

i am timing it to see how long it lasts...

and.... it lasted 8 minutes before the internet dropped back to nothing.

its only running at about 1Mbps now.
--
System Specs

jrodson69

join:2012-10-02
Independence, IA
reply to v_lestat
Yes you should have stayed with your grandfathered plan; The old "MAX" has no cap. By moving to a promo, you are now subject to the cap system. It varies from 250 to 350GB and you need Ultra to get 999GB.

I would contact MediacomChad if you continue to experience issues, he is by far the most responsive Mediacom employee I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:121
reply to v_lestat
I would be happy to look into this for you. I don't really see any signal issues that would cause you to have that low of a download speed. I do notice you have a router there. Next time you notice the slow speeds we can do some troubleshooting. We'll want to bypass the router and connect one of your devices directly to the modem. Once it is connected, reboot the modem and once that has booted all the way back up you will want to run the speedtest again.
--
MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
»mediacomcable.com/Custom ··· Support/

v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life

1 edit
no disrepsect chad but i been around a long time. though i been labelled an angry person from time to time, i know networking better than alot of people.

your not dealing with some kid who's bit torrenting and running too many sessions so that his modem and router lockup.

my router isnt the issue, though my modem "could" be given its a rev 1 linksys modem, running docsis 1.1. and i have no problem buying a new one if that IS the issue.

but i n-e-v-e-r had any issues like this prior to the upgraded speed packages a month or so ago.

as i also stated i reboot the modem,,, not the router,,, and it doesnt change, after a 2nd or third time and leaving it off for a few minutes i might come back to normal for a little bit.

thats the modem not the router.

i can crush my router with multi gigabit file transfers between multiple PC's and completely choke it with iperf between two and 3 pc's and it never has ever once missed a beat.

but i hit the WAN/Modem very hard for very long.. and *poof*.. it goes away.
notice i said the internet is gone.
the modem, and modem GUI and lights all show its online and active but the internet is dead.
the same holds true for my router.

i would love to setup a time where you can monitor this live and see what happens

i am free tonight and all weekend.

p.s.

also make a mental note that at the same time or there abouts of the speed increase my signal levels got really hot, so i had to put a DC-6 splitter inline otherwise i was running +35 and +13
not i am +3.5 and +46 and it doesnt get any better than that.
--
System Specs

basenji

join:2006-11-02
Waconia, MN
I would definitly get a new modem. D3 preferably, I have seen many of the old 1.1 modems have the issue with channel hopping. When the channel you are on gets too congested (your big downloads) it switches you to a less congested channel, which is pretty much exactly the problem you are describing.

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA
reply to v_lestat
I was going to suggest the same thing as basenji. When reboots of the modem restore service, it could be an issue with the modem giving up on you.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to v_lestat
said by v_lestat:

no disrepsect chad but i been around a long time. though i been labelled an angry person from time to time, i know networking better than alot of people.

your not dealing with some kid who's bit torrenting and running too many sessions so that his modem and router lockup.

my router isnt the issue, though my modem "could" be given its a rev 1 linksys modem, running docsis 1.1. and i have no problem buying a new one if that IS the issue.

but i n-e-v-e-r had any issues like this prior to the upgraded speed packages a month or so ago.

as i also stated i reboot the modem,,, not the router,,, and it doesnt change, after a 2nd or third time and leaving it off for a few minutes i might come back to normal for a little bit.

thats the modem not the router.

i can crush my router with multi gigabit file transfers between multiple PC's and completely choke it with iperf between two and 3 pc's and it never has ever once missed a beat.

but i hit the WAN/Modem very hard for very long.. and *poof*.. it goes away.
notice i said the internet is gone.
the modem, and modem GUI and lights all show its online and active but the internet is dead.
the same holds true for my router.

i would love to setup a time where you can monitor this live and see what happens

i am free tonight and all weekend.

p.s.

also make a mental note that at the same time or there abouts of the speed increase my signal levels got really hot, so i had to put a DC-6 splitter inline otherwise i was running +35 and +13
not i am +3.5 and +46 and it doesnt get any better than that.

Lol you answered your own issue. It's your modem. +1 for you.

v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life

1 edit
reply to v_lestat
guys i wont discount the modem, but,.. you must NOT ignore the fact that since day one of the 20mbps package and for several years prior i have run flawlessly with this modem, never doing anything like this.
this modem has been in service on my account since 2007 never giving me a hint of trouble.

even when i switched packages i was fine..
only when they changed the speeds from 12-15 and 20 -30 did something happen.

i highly doubt the modem is the issue but i wont discount it and i am going to grab a new modem, probably the linksys at walmart (docsis 3.0)

i will reboot my modem, leaving it off for a few minutes and see what happens.

and my modem doesnt lock on different channels between reboots.
its always the same everytime i have looked.

i would like chad to just kick my modem offline and make it reregister. that has fixed numerous issues in the past.

v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life

4 edits
reply to v_lestat
and so the plot thickens...

speedtests, to 12 different sites all show speeds of over 20mbps own and 1.5+mbps up....
but the minute i turn on usenets and try to download... it never goes faster than 9mbps...

i have rebooted the modem and router 3 times.

it isnt the modem, that pretty much is clear.
well let me rephrase that...

if i download anything usenet or not on my pc,, go to my wifes pc and do something also.

they both throttle out at about 9mbps or rather 5-7Mbps each with both running.

quitting one download on either PC doesnt cause the other download speed to increase much at all.. maybe 1Mbps tops.

so.... still the modem? ,,, no.

--
System Specs

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
ever think that usenet is the problem????

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to v_lestat
said by v_lestat:

WTF is mediacom doing?

Some judicious packet sniffing might reveal that.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

kwbelt1

join:2006-06-03
Marion, IL
reply to v_lestat
I've noticed since Aug 1st that if I upload a set of photos or a video that my connection drops to 2-3Mbps and will stay there until the upload has finished.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by kwbelt1:

I've noticed since Aug 1st that if I upload a set of photos or a video that my connection drops to 2-3Mbps and will stay there until the upload has finished.

I have noticed that saturating my upload path makes my download speed suffer. This happened on an ISP known not to throttle; at least at that time.

You should specify whether you were using some kind of QoS locally, or "self-throttling" of the upload. I found that by limiting my max upload to ~80% of nominal, download speed was not severely affected.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

psdp

join:2011-01-20
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to v_lestat
I certainly am not nearly as experienced as you, but I wouldn't totally count out the modem either. I had an old Lynksys DOCSIS 1-something and had crap speeds and a "tumblr effect" (I could NEVER open a page on tumblr without having to restart the modem, often for each page I visited… I'd get the effect, reliably, plugged straight into the modem even), downloads were a crap-shoot. Techs , including Chad, over the years tested things and everything was always fine, and they all said my modem wasn't like a problem… I finally said "screw it" several months ago and got a SB6120 as there was no other potential cause to eliminate in my network and finally have proper internet…

Any chance you can get one, test it and, if it *doesn't* clear up the problem return it so you're not out anything?

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I second psdp's comment. I have an older DOCSIS 1.1 modem, and whenever I have both my kids trying to stream a video or download a huge file at the same time, it will stop working and I need to re-power the modem to get it back. It's like it can only handle so many requests in a given block of time (usually about ten minutes), and then maxes out its buffer, tables, or connections. This symptom seems to be that the modem will no longer upload a request (the send light stops blinking). No problem when one kid is streaming or downloading. Just not two at the same time. And it is only the cable modem that needs to be restarted; the router seems to keep working.

Nexis

join:2002-04-29
USA
reply to v_lestat
What I would suggest is stop into the office on Council and pick up a rental modem. Get it provisioned and running. Test with this modem to see if the problem goes away, if it vanishes, you can buy yourself a new modem and return the rental if you prefer to own and not pay the rental fee. I've been seeing more and more issues with the older linksys modems after we put in the new CMTS here. They just can't keep up with channel hopping properly. I use the DPC3008 at home and it works great for me. The newer D3 modems prefer the signal as close to 0db as you can get, so if your at +3.5 with a DC6 you may try to get your hands on a DC9, or put a 2-way in conjunction with your DC6 to get almost to zero.

v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life

reply to NormanS
i cant confirm because i swapped hardware too soon but it MAY have been a bad Male F connector.

but it may not have been since i was moving, removing and reterminating cables alot in the last week or so.
i dont know if the 'loose' connection was months old, or something i had just done in the last day or so.

not sure how or why i just noticed when i swapped modems that the cable came off a little too easy from my modem and was a little hard to thread on the new modem. (which would confirm Jamie Arnold's statement to me that it looks like an RF leak [leaky cable]) because of my bit error rate.

got the new modem in though and cable snug as it can be, and though kinda still a little jumpy its pretty solid mostly. i cant complain any longer.

now if i could just get turbo mode to stay on all the time lol. (would eliminate having to go back to the max package muuuahaha)

p.s.

i did thread it onto the old modem properly and test with some downloads when i noticed the 'lose connection' but the internet was still running 1/2 speed. so i can not at this moment confirm that it was a lose connection or bad modem.

if someone is in Cedar rapids, i would be happy to loan the modem to an established member to see if they wanted to test it themselves. or maybe i could see if Jamie arnold could test it for me.