Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

[WIN7] Win 7 Pro OEM

Just wondering is MS is getting hard on the OEM copies of the OS and not allowing the OS to be used with different hardware. I generally keep my OSs for a few years and thru a couple up builds. I don't need the MS support and I can grab a copy of Win7 Pro 64 bit upgrade and OEM for $130...

Thanks,
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

sholling
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA
kudos:1

once you activate the OEM version that key is absolutely locked to the motherboard and will not let you activate it on another machine.
--
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
--FREDERIC BASTIAT--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Starting with Win7? That was how it was supposed to be as well for XP yet folks had no real issues when needing it reactivated for motherboard, hard drive or rebuilds (including myself). So MS is truly locking it down with Win7?
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

I have had to replace my hard drive, I was not able to reactivate via the internet but instead had to activate via telephone. Have not had to replace my motherboard, but I would be very upset if they did not reactive it because I built my own machine and did not purchase a name brand PC.

sholling
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

Starting with Win7? That was how it was supposed to be as well for XP yet folks had no real issues when needing it reactivated for motherboard, hard drive or rebuilds (including myself). So MS is truly locking it down with Win7?

I had to reactivate by phone as well after my desktop's motherboard failed. When they replaced the MB in my laptop they were able to transfer the MB's serial number to the new board and it worked fine.
--
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
--FREDERIC BASTIAT--
Expand your moderator at work

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Valhalla, NY
reply to CylonRed

Re: [WIN7] Win 7 Pro OEM

I never had a problem reactivating Win 7, even after upgrading motherboards. I have had to phone it in to reactivate but no hassle.

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
reply to CylonRed

Same here, I have had various hardware changes and MS is always very good about activating by phone when needed. Never any problems....

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Cool - this is going to be such a mess because I did not want the CF of Vista...

I need to change up my partitions which means I need to destroy and recreate the partitions which of course means removing XP. From what I have read - I will need to install XP again and then do a 'clean' install of Win 7 (which is doable from the upgrade disk). The 'clean' install needs to see the XP install before it will go on... Correct?
--
Brian

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX

1 recommendation

Not needed. Method 2, here: »winsupersite.com/article/windows···a-128512 has worked for me every time.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to CylonRed

I seem to be talking to myself in this thread here:
»[WIN7] Stop error but fine in safe mode/activation issues

but I had the same issues and questions.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Is the OEM Preinstallation Kit needed for the OEM version?

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by sholling:

once you activate the OEM version that key is absolutely locked to the motherboard and will not let you activate it on another machine.

It absolutely does not tie anything to any motherboard. If your motherboard were to become defective you can replace it with whichever one you want. There is no hardware restriction of this sort in the EULA. The only restriction is that you are not supposed to transfer an OEM copy of Windows from one machine to another.

said by CylonRed:

Is the OEM Preinstallation Kit needed for the OEM version?

I think technically if you want to follow the terms of the outer system builder license then yes. But practically 1) you are not reselling the system and 2) it is not needed to activate Windows. If you buy a system builder pack (how an OEM copy is supposed to be sold) there are 2 license agreements 1) the license agreement on the outside of the pack that the system builder agrees to and 2) the license agreement for the actual copy of Windows that the end user (purchaser of the computer) agrees to. The intent here is that the system builder runs sysprep and the end user has the OOBE and accepts the license agreement. If the system builder installs Windows without using the OPK then the end user will not be given the option to accept the license agreement. If you are buying the OEM software for your own use, IMO no harm no foul.
--
PRescott7-2097

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

That is what I thought but wanted to make sure - thanks.