Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

[ID?] Oregon Backyard Bird

Hubby and I aren't avid birdwatchers but we did put up a feeding station in front of our porch (to entertain our indoor cats) and have been enjoying it ourselves as well

This little guy, though, caught my attention and after searching through my Audubon iPad app and few failed web searches, we still can't figure out what this guy is.

He likes to feed either from the ground (more often) or from a perch (much less often), snatch a tidbit, and then fly off with it. He's just slightly larger than the very common sparrows we have feeding here.

I'm guessing someone here can tell me what he is!

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

2 recommendations

No_Strings

Consulting Peterson's Western Bird field guide, I'd say you have a red-breasted nuthatch.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Excellent! That's him! Thanks!!

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

You're quite welcome.

Nuthatches are fun to watch. They love to climb on the side of trees, often upside-down. Very rare in my neck of the woods.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
In summer I get both species in my backyard, the white and red breasted. So hard to photograph as they are constantly moving. But a lot of fun to watch, especially when they walk upside-down the sides of trees.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I haven't seen them doing the walking upside on tree-sides yet but these little guys do like to dine and dash

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

1 recommendation

rcroning to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
If you've never seen them do the upside down tree walk then I have a shot to share. This one is a white breasted nuthatch. I've had both visit my backyard and they're full of antics.

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Algonquin, IL

richdelb

Premium Member

I see them year round here in Northern Illinois. They really are mostly upside down on the trees like rcroning's photo shows.