digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to Gone

Re: [Serious] So tell me guys...

Be sure to do a cost-benefit analysis before going legal as you will not be awarded more than the replacement cost of the washer.

Small claims will cost you $500 minimum to file and enforce any judgement in your favour, as a large company is unlikely to offer anything more than a discount on a new machine bought from them, which will be far less than your loss. Getting a lawyer involved further reduces the benefit of pursuing the matter.

Absent a recall for this defect and/or the company willing to offer a goodwill adjustment, it's generally not cost-effective to take legal action on any loss of $1,000 or less.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

I thought that in Ontario you could file a small claims complaint for $ 75.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by PX Eliezer7:

I thought that in Ontario you could file a small claims complaint for $ 75.

It is, and once I file I doubt it would get to a judgement as they'd most likely settle before it got to that point. I've done small claims in the past, you can do it for far less than $500. You just need to know what you're doing.

Small claims is an absolutely last resort, and so far my gut is telling me that we won't need to take the nuclear option.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

Small claims will cost you $500 minimum to file and enforce any judgement in your favour, as a large company is unlikely to offer anything more than a discount on a new machine bought from them, which will be far less than your loss.

It's $275.00 and they will settle after the demand letter or statement of claim unless they are idiots as their lawyer will charge $275.00 for the first hour.