All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

blamblamblam
@mindspring.com

blamblamblam

Anon

Do I still need a self-install kit if I supply my own modem?

So, it's the second decade of the 21st century and I'm curious if we've finally achieved the dream of purchasing internet service with absolutely zero human contact.

If I buy my own DOCSIS 3.0 modem, do I still need to pick up a self-install kit? Or can I just order Comcast service online, grab my own modem, and take care of the hook-up myself?
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Comcast must run a drop cable from the tap. You cannot do that. Now if you have existing TV service you already have the drop in place. If you have all necessary wiring you may get away without having to wait for a tech to come out.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to blamblamblam

MVM

to blamblamblam
I did a self install of a new modem I purchased at Best Buy. I already have Comcast cable TV service so there was already coax coming into the house.

The self install kit that Comcast will sell you is nothing more than a high quality splitter and a short length of coax cable. If you don't need these or already have them, then save your money and don't buy them from Comcast.

I placed the order for internet service online. All I had to do then was hook up the modem and call Comcast support for modem activation. All that involved was reading the modem MAC address to them and it began working immediately while I was on the phone. Painless.

blamblamblam
@mindspring.com

blamblamblam to ExoticFish

Anon

to ExoticFish
I believe the apartment was already set-up for Comcast service, since that's what the previous tenant was using. I'm guessing that means nobody needs to come out to perform an installation?

Also, to partially answer the original question, it seems like I'd have to call Comcast and tell them the MAC address of my modem, but I think that's about it.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

The only thing I would add to my other reply is to buy the modem at a reputable retail store like Best Buy or Compusa, etc.

Never buy one off sites like ebay - it may have been stolen or a non returned leased modem and these are blacklisted by the cable companies and can not be activated.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to blamblamblam

Premium Member

to blamblamblam
If this is a new install in a apt then comcast may want to the install to make sure of you are getting the signal ok.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to blamblamblam

Premium Member

to blamblamblam
said by blamblamblam :

I believe the apartment was already set-up for Comcast service, since that's what the previous tenant was using. I'm guessing that means nobody needs to come out to perform an installation?

Also, to partially answer the original question, it seems like I'd have to call Comcast and tell them the MAC address of my modem, but I think that's about it.

Unless you are running an absolutely locked down browser with no possibility of allowing it to use scripting, you probably won't even need to call Comcast to activate your new modem.

In the past, Comcast would require a Windows PC running IE with ActiveX support to use their walled garden modem activation site, but that is no longer the case. I just recently activated both a new modem and an old modem from a previous Comcast residential account with no problems using the automatic walled garden site using a Mozilla based browser (with no ActiveX capabilities). The only current restriction on using the walled garden page seems to be that you have to use it with a directly connected PC instead of going through a NAT router (but that may be router dependent).

One problem you might run into is if the previous tenant in your apartment left a bill balance with Comcast, or did not return Comcast owned equipment. In that case, you will probably need to physically go to the local Comcast office to provide positive identification to prove that you are not the previous tenant.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to blamblamblam

Premium Member

to blamblamblam
You need to have a current account with comcast to use the walled garden. Have to disagree on needing to be direct connected. Not having a account just means you need to call.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to blamblamblam

Premium Member

to blamblamblam
said by blamblamblam :

That would depend on whether or not the line has been disconnected at the tap on the pole or pedestal when the other person had discontinued their service.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to blamblamblam

Premium Member

to blamblamblam
When I had service installed for internet only they had to come out and install a cable outlet and run the coax from the tap to the inside of my kitchen.

fan13027
join:2008-10-26
Kelowna, BC

fan13027 to graysonf

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

... and call Comcast support for modem activation.

So then, NOT "absolutely zero human contact" ??

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

If the walled garden doesn't work, then you have to call.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to fan13027

Premium Member

to fan13027
For some people no contact is needed. For some contact may be needed. Depends on multiple factors.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to blamblamblam

Anon

to blamblamblam
if by kit you mean the box with the splitter and 2 cables in it you can skip it [as long as you have a cable], if by kit you mean the charge they give you for registering your modem, yeah it is necessary.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

said by flwpwr :

if by kit you mean the box with the splitter and 2 cables in it you can skip it [as long as you have a cable], if by kit you mean the charge they give you for registering your modem, yeah it is necessary.

I'm pretty sure the OP meant a physical kit: "do I still need to pick up a self-install kit?"
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02

said by Johkal:

said by flwpwr :

I'm pretty sure the OP meant a physical kit: "do I still need to pick up a self-install kit?"

When I tried to "skip" the $10 self install kit last year they refused, claimed they had to send out the box with the splitter and coax in order to get the order into the system. It's a good splitter and 2 good pieces of coax, so you are getting almost $10 of stuff if you bought it yourself (I'm sure it only costs Comcast a few dollars since they buy millions of them).

Only issue I had with the walled garden was my modem kept rebooting while I was entering the account and modem info, after the fact I realized that it was updating it's firmware, if I had waited 10 minutes or so to let the modem update it would have been easier to get the numbers entered into the system.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

When I ordered HSI online there were only two choices. One was make an appointment for a tech to come out and install it. The other was take the self install kit.

So I went with the self install kit and continued on to the next step. That's when an online chat session automatically started and some CSR type came on to confirm the order. That's where I told them not to send the self install kit and I asked to not be charged for it, The CSR said fine and gave me the phone number to call to activate the modem.

I called that number and gave them the modem MAC address. The service started working within a minute or two.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02

said by graysonf:

So I went with the self install kit and continued on to the next step. That's when an online chat session automatically started and some CSR type came on to confirm the order. That's where I told them not to send the self install kit and I asked to not be charged for it, The CSR said fine and gave me the phone number to call to activate the modem.

How many times did you have to ask for them not to send the kit out? I did the same thing as you but after telling the online chat person I had a modem and splitter so didn't need the kit they continued to say it was necessary in order to place the order. I only asked twice then agreed to have it sent.

Probably depends who you end up chatting with, or that I was signing up with the $20 a month promotion for the performance tier.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I asked only once to decline the self install kit and that was it. I was also signing up for Performance on a $19.95 promotion price for six months.

When I called the number they gave me to activate the modem, the person I spoke with reviewed my account history and decided to lower the promotional price quite a bit. I think it came out that my Comcast bill for TV and Performance HIS was only $6.00 more than just the TV alone. No complaints from me about that.

My promotion period just ended and I looked at my next bill online (they haven't mailed it yet). The total bill including taxes will now be $97.15. It had been $79.22 for the last six months.

rdstoll
join:2000-10-25
Des Plaines, IL

rdstoll to blamblamblam

to blamblamblam
If I already have Comcast HSI but want to add a second modem to help improve mt wireless coverage in my house can i just buy a modem and hook it up or do i have to call Comcast to have them activate the modem once connected? Also, where on here is a list of the best modems to get for Comcast right now?
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

psiu to blamblamblam

to blamblamblam
I also recently set up an order online (apartment install) and it also only had the options for tech install or mandatory $10 self install kit. Picked up a used SB5120 on here and had it installed and activated before the self install kit arrived.

When we got our 6120 we had to call in though, it would not activate online. Took phone support about 45 minutes to figure it out (saw something on here that it does happen to customer owned modems fairly often).

Not looking forward to moving in the spring. We will get service installed at a new place with a rental modem (new account) then cancel service here a couple months later and work on getting our customer owned modem onto the new account.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to rdstoll

Premium Member

to rdstoll
said by rdstoll:

If I already have Comcast HSI but want to add a second modem to help improve mt wireless coverage in my house can i just buy a modem and hook it up or do i have to call Comcast to have them activate the modem once connected? Also, where on here is a list of the best modems to get for Comcast right now?

Sounds like you need a new wireless router or extender, not another modem.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to rdstoll

MVM

to rdstoll
said by rdstoll:

Here is the approved equipment list.

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

You cannot add another modem and have two in use on the same account. You can open another account and pay double though, obviously not what you want to do.

A new modem may have better wireless capability, but you won't be able to know that unless you try it. Could be an expense with no benefit.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

You cannot add another modem and have two in use on the same account. You can open another account and pay double though, obviously not what you want to do.

You don't necessarily need to open another account. All you need is to have a multiple IP address account. A business account allows up to 5 CPE MAC addresses to be used, and a residential customer can also simply pay for additional IP addresses. I does not appear to make any difference to Comcast how many physical modems you use as long as you don't try to exceed the number of simultaneously connected devices that your account allows.

I have had no problems with my account by putting my Vonage router on its own cable modem, and running everything else through my primary cable modem. The only problem I ran into was a signal level problem, not an account problem, so I am not currently doing that. Most likely though, as soon as I get around to running a parallel coax run for a second cable modem so that my primary SB6121 (which would be on the -3.5db leg of the first splitter) does not have signal level problems, I will return to using a separate cable modem for VoIP traffic.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

said by NetFixer:

said by graysonf:

a residential customer can also simply pay for additional IP addresses.

Just to add: Not every market offers additional IPs for a residential account. I know this because I tried a little while back.

rdstoll
join:2000-10-25
Des Plaines, IL

rdstoll to WoofieInPC

to WoofieInPC
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well...have a three level house and trying to get everyone to have a good signal has been an issue. Have an airport extreme right now but thinking of switching to an Asus RT-N66U.

Thanks!
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423 to rdstoll

to rdstoll
If you're looking to extend the wireless coverage in your house, you should consider buying a wireless extender (or repeater). Adding a second modem would not only double your current charges (as you'd need a second account), but it would be nearly technologically impossible to "bridge" the two together to create a bigger wireless footprint. (Sorry for re-answering, didn't see the second page.)