join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to d4m1r

Premium Member

to d4m1r

Re: Teksavvy Mail Server - Catch all?

said by d4m1r:

I disagree, I think DrZEUS is right.

Ideally, mail servers should send bounce back messages so the user knows the sent it to an address that no longer exists, if say a user has changed emails for example.

Obviously they are not doing that to save on space/bandwidth/computing resources, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be...

No. Sorry d4m1r, that's just wrong. If mail servers would do that we would be blacklisted in minutes. 99% of all emails our mail systems receive is spam.

Anybody can put any replyto email address and send thousands of emails all over the place and that replyto email address would be flooded..

we've tweaked our mail systems many many times over the last 10 years.

We are however just about to upgrade our mail systems.. but they too will behave similarly.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

It even has a wikipedia page

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba ··· email%29
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Anybody can put any replyto email address and send thousands of emails all over the place and that replyto email address would be flooded..

Speaking as somebody who is currently dealing with this problem (some spammer decided to joe job one of my domains), THANK YOU for setting your servers up correctly!

As pissed as I am at the spammers for abusing my domain, I'm more pissed at the thousands of mail server administrators backscattering the shit out of me!