All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
ShockWave77
join:2002-11-09
Tyler, TX

ShockWave77 to Gordo74

to Gordo74

Re: [motherboard] New Build & Random Shutdowns -- Power Supply?

said by Gordo74:

SLI would only add another ~150w to that build. 750w for an all-out-best-GPUs-on-the-market build. You're throwing away money. As it seems you are learning - the numbers don't necessarily mean quality

I'm not "throwing away money". I compared prices and it was a good deal with good quality with good reviews. Who cares if it gives me excess breathing room for future upgrades? Just because my build uses 480W MAX doesn't mean I should be a PSU just barely able to cut it. That's a terrible idea. You don't want your power supply running at max output all the time. That kills them even faster.

Anyway, back to the problem. I ran the computer plugged straight into the wall, still no dice. Random reboots still, with the same anti-surge message coming up in bios upon bootup. It's either the PSU or the motherboard. I think I'm going to RMA the power supply first simply because its the easiest to do, but if that doesn't do it, the motherboard will have to go back next.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

disable anti-surge in your bios.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to ShockWave77

Premium Member

to ShockWave77
said by ShockWave77:

You don't want your power supply running at max output all the time. That kills them even faster

Not only that, but it would run at somewhat lower efficiency. Most computer power supplies are most efficient at ~50-60% load.
ShockWave77
Tyler, TX

ShockWave77 to FizzyMyNizzy

to FizzyMyNizzy
I tried this to no avail. I still get the random shutdowns / reboots.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

said by ShockWave77:

Use 1 stick of ram.
ShockWave77
Tyler, TX

ShockWave77

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

said by ShockWave77:

Use 1 stick of ram.

I'll try this in a bit. I've noticed that if I turn off the ASUS anti-surge protection I get that event log and the automatic soft shutdown. If ASUS anti-surge protection is on, the computer just shuts off then turns back on with the anti-surge warning.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

said by ShockWave77:

I've noticed that if I turn off the ASUS anti-surge protection I get that event log and the automatic soft shutdown.

This error?
The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (ADMIN-PC) has initiated the power off of computer ADMIN-PC on behalf of user Admin-PC\Admin for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off

Have you tried re-seating your CPU, thermal paste? Doubtful I know but if it costs you nothing....
Have you tried another PSU at all - even if just a loaner?
Have you tried Microsoft support on that error either?