vobguy
A fool with a tool is still a fool
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Mineral, VA

vobguy

Premium Member

Jetpack 4620L and device limit

Is the 5 device limit a limit for concurrent devices, or a total of 5 devices can connect total? For example, if someone turns off their wifi on a ipod, would that open up for another device to connect?

Wife wants an ipad and I would rather upgrade my home internet than pay 30 bucks a month plus 200 dollars extra for the 4g version.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

5 concurrent devices can connect in 3g mode. I believe 10 can connect in 4g mode. If a device is not connected, yes it opens up the connection for another device. The limitation is with the dhcp - it will only hand out x number of IP addresses at a time.

vobguy
Premium Member
Mineral, VA

vobguy

Premium Member

Cool, thanks. Considering total our lack of broadband, we have an awful lot of wifi devices lol.

Im wondering if I can use it with a wireless bridge now.. hmm.. will have to consider it.

Also I am concerned, I have heard that regular old Cisco IPSec VPNs like the one we have at work will not connect over the Jetpack.

Just my luck to find more things to have to research lol
purwater
Premium Member
join:2002-10-25
Bluefield, VA

purwater to vobguy

Premium Member

to vobguy
You may want to look into getting a Cradlepoint MBR95 router to use with your Jetpack. It will connect as "wifi as wan" mode and then you can have all your devices connect to the router. I think the router allows up to 32 devices plus you'd have 4 wired ethernet ports if needed. There are other routers that will do this as well, but I'm not sure of all the brands and models.
Bosgarage57
join:2010-09-02
Sevierville, TN

Bosgarage57 to vobguy

to vobguy
I currently have 1 router connected to the Jetpack as a Wifi AP, and the 2 more routers connected to that 1 router. I do see a speed decrease since I am doing it that way, just easier. I usually stay connected to the jetpack, and everyone else uses the slower routers

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to vobguy

to vobguy
In regards to your VPN question.

IPSec VPNs are touchy about latency. I can connect occasionally from my 3G gobi card. My guys with LTE cards have WAY less issues

vobguy
Premium Member
Mineral, VA

vobguy

Premium Member

said by Eagles1221:

In regards to your VPN question.

IPSec VPNs are touchy about latency. I can connect occasionally from my 3G gobi card. My guys with LTE cards have WAY less issues

Well I can actually connect even on my Franklin at EVDO speeds. It is slow but steady enough.

BUT, I am happy to report that I decided to try the 4620L and I can use it to connect to my pure IPSec VPN at work, so I am glad for that.

I decided to get it as an additional account, partly because of the 20 gig limit. The alternate was spending 150 bucks extra to get a 4G enabled tablet, and spend just as much on a data plan that is good for just ONE device. This makes a lot more financial sense.

One thing I found so far is I have had to restart the device if it drops down to 3G or 1XRTT mode, it doesnt seem to like to go back to 4G when the signal improves. But after rebooting, it comes back in 4G mode, and I get 4 G speeds.

Overall I am very happy. I have to find that site to track my usage though. Imagine, radar data downloaded instantly.. the 5 meg manual downloaded almost instantly. Impressive!
mendinfences8
join:2012-12-05

mendinfences8

Re: having to reboot to get 4G ... I just got my jetpack last night and was finding the same issue. Interesting. Haven't played around with it enough to know if this got resolved by changing some settings or if it is just an issue with this device.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

I think you will find if you hook up that directional antenna you got from me and get it aimed properly , that problem will end.
mendinfences8
join:2012-12-05

mendinfences8

Thanks, Gord. That's on the agenda. I have to order an adapter from you, though. Been gone. Think the cyfre amp and antenna would work or just go for the directional?
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

Cyfre amplifier does not currently do New Verizon 4G frequencies , Will in the future as Verizon will also be launching LTE protocol 0n 850 mhz and 1900 mhz as well. They are already doing so in some markets , even selling off 700 mhz in Texas , Colorado and New Mexico to start.