spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wysiwyg1972

join:2006-11-05
Toronto, ON

Ultimate - Stuck on 75/2 (new Subscriber)

Signed up on Wednesday to their Ultimate package which is 150/10. This is to replace my Bell 25/7. I need the fast uploads for my Slingbox hosting..

Anyhow, my speeds seem to be stuck at the 75/2 profile. Rebooted the modem many times and tech Support has been no help so far. Today their systems are down :-(

I need this resolved within the next few days otherwise my evaluation period will pass and I will be stuck with the contract. Who's best to check the profile? Tech Support or Customer Service? I'd also need them to put my gateway in bridge mode since the Hytron doesn't allow me to adjust MTU setting...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
What MTU do you need? It's 1500 for DHCP Cable, your router should be doing that in DHCP mode...

wysiwyg1972

Toronto, ON
Slingboxes are very sensitive to far distances and changing the MTU helps a lot. I need to set it to around 1450 and it becomes much more stable.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Thats odd... I have viewed my slingbox over 3G tethered iPhone at the cottage many many times, and I've never had an issue...

And this is about 200KM from my house, and on the 3G signal its about 200-300ms latency. Once it buffers up its good.

wysiwyg1972

Toronto, ON
The one I connect to is in Europe, so a bit further! I had to do the same with my current ISP (bell) and that solved the issue.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to wysiwyg1972
said by wysiwyg1972:

Signed up on Wednesday to their Ultimate package which is 150/10. This is to replace my Bell 25/7. I need the fast uploads for my Slingbox hosting..

Anyhow, my speeds seem to be stuck at the 75/2 profile. Rebooted the modem many times and tech Support has been no help so far. Today their systems are down :-(

I need this resolved within the next few days otherwise my evaluation period will pass and I will be stuck with the contract. Who's best to check the profile? Tech Support or Customer Service? I'd also need them to put my gateway in bridge mode since the Hytron doesn't allow me to adjust MTU setting...

Evaluation period with Rogers is 30 days. If you signed up on Wed, you're still safe. It looks like the sales rep put in the wrong product code when he/she setup your order. Customer service is open until 2am EST, so their systems should be up by then.

justaguy

@rogers.com
reply to wysiwyg1972
The 75 and 150 are 2 different packages. if you are stuck on the 75, it is almost certainly what the sale guy put on your account. Tech support either didn't check or didn't know how. Contact them again and have them check the price you are paying for internet (or check online if you can). 150 ultimate should be $120

dvn

join:2007-04-29
Waterloo, ON
reply to wysiwyg1972
Isn't 75/2 supposed to be upgraded to 75/10?

wysiwyg1972

Toronto, ON
reply to wysiwyg1972
My package is indeed ultimate as it shows this on "my Rogers". I was transferred to customer service but they were down as well.. I will have to try them today.

Thanks all!

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to wysiwyg1972
said by wysiwyg1972:

Slingboxes are very sensitive to far distances and changing the MTU helps a lot. I need to set it to around 1450 and it becomes much more stable.

1450 is not a good MTU for Rogers Broadband -- should [or must] be 1500.

For your Slingboxe to adjust to broadband, power down by removing the slingbox power cable, wait 10 minutes then reconnect the power cable to the slingbox.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to wysiwyg1972
said by wysiwyg1972:

My package is indeed ultimate as it shows this on "my Rogers". I was transferred to customer service but they were down as well.. I will have to try them today.

Thanks all!

Both the 75/2 and 150/10 are branded as ultimate from a customer perspective.

wysiwyg1972

Toronto, ON
reply to mozerd
said by mozerd:

said by wysiwyg1972:

1450 is not a good MTU for Rogers Broadband -- should [or must] be 1500.

For your Slingboxe to adjust to broadband, power down by removing the slingbox power cable, wait 10 minutes then reconnect the power cable to the slingbox.

The remote Slingboxes are in Europe (one in Prague and the other in Paris). They are also adjusted to 1450 at their end as well and when I tried 1500, it was even worse. Once I get a chance to adjust the MTU, I will try various options at both ends to see what works best.

Rayson

join:2004-01-01
Canada
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Both the 75/2 and 150/10 are branded as ultimate from a customer perspective.

IIRC, it's not the first time that the account profiles are not setup correctly!

Note that there are 2 main speed limits that a cable modem connection has:

- the speed limit imposed by the physical cable connection (ie. line quality).

- the speed limit capped by the DOCSIS config file. Note that by replacing this config file you can uncap the modem and get full speed of the cable internet connection. (Don't try this at home!)

In the old days, I used to use the open source DOCSIS ( »docsis.sf.net ) tool to download and view the config file. I have not tried it again with newer modems - yet there are many tools on the net that you can use to download the DOCSIS config file.

I think one can still pull the DOCSIS config file easily from Rogers' TFTP server, but I haven't tried this for many years as these days I work on other stuff and thus I pay much less attention to the network layer.

And FYI: »www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgm···p_6.html

Rayson

==================================================
Open Grid Scheduler - The Official Open Source Grid Engine
»gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/

Scalable Grid Engine
»blogs.scalablelogic.com/

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
You can't uncap cable modems ever since BPI+. Rogers probably invested more resources in network security than any other North American MSO. Not so many years ago, it was possible to find uncapped cable modems, along with bootleg DVDs and other counterfeit merchandise sold in broad daylight at Pacific Mall in Toronto. A lot of these operations got busted, and rightly so. They (along with vendors, CableLabs etc) regularly have people browsing sbhacker and other "experimental" forums to look for the latest hack so they can be the first to patch it. The most you can do these days is clone a modem of another user, on another headend, subscribed to a different service. The usage is still logged though, and if you go over the cap, they pay... if they did not consent to the extra usage charges, and its reported, his MAC will be taken off the network.
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

DJ411

join:2009-12-31
reply to wysiwyg1972
Check your bill, if its around $99 for the service then your getting the old Ultimate package. That is the package i get. Lucky enough i get a 80-110mb download and a 1.9mb upload and a 20% discount i'm ok with it. If your paying for i think $120 and getting those speeds then you might have to wait until Dec 1st from what i'm seeing that is when the new speeds kick in. If that isn't the case then there is an issue.

wysiwyg1972

Toronto, ON
That was the exact issue. There are 2 ultimate packages. I asked for 150/10 and was offer it for $75 after 25% discount. I finally got a rep that figured it out and changed me to the correct 150/10 package and I then got the new correct speeds. I then got an email confirmation:

Remove ultimate $99.99
Remove 25% discount
Add ultimate $122.99
Add 25% discount

Called retention to complain, they told me about the 2 packages. I told them I needed the fast upload speeds for the $75 quoted price. The rep switched me back to the $99 package and enabled the fast upload speeds. At last check, I was still getting 150/10, even after reboot of the gateway. Never got another email confirmation, so will need to confirm the pricing.

I also enabled bridge mode on the gateway, hooked my own router, tweaked the MTU to a lower setting (1450) and the Slingbox connection has been smoother across the pond.