join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

reply to Cartel

Re: AT&T block ur YouTube + Facebook

Ironic, isn't it? Users pay an ISP for contracted communications services, and the ISP provides free private policing and enforcement services on demand for special-interest groups who pay them... nothing. And please do realize, these enforcements have not been warranted by any court, established by any actual evidence found in possession of the user, or any other meaningful due-process event. (Full disclosure: I've not downloaded a solitary piece of copyrighted music, video, or pirated software in my life - paid or otherwise, nor do I intend to. I have zero interests in those areas. But I am responding to the sheer un-Constitutionality of turning user-paid, contracted service providers into free private police agencies, judges, and juries based purely on simple accusation or circumstantial evidence... all with the tacit or explicit approval of legislatures and the US legal system.)
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

said by Blackbird:

Ironic, isn't it? Users pay an ISP for contracted communications services, and the ISP provides free private policing and enforcement services on demand for special-interest groups who pay them... nothing.

Users paying for FiOS, Prism, U-verse, Xfinity, and whatever other slick bundling market name is out there, are not paying for just communications services. MSOs, like Comcast, Cox, SuddenLink, and TWC/RR are first, and foremost, content delivery services, and are beholden to content providers. And telcos, such as AT&T (U-verse), CenturyLink (Prism), and Verizon (FiOS) have joined the ranks of content delivery services, and, thus, also beholden to the content providers. They have to act favorably to the MPAA/RIAA if they want content to deliver; they have to protect the content revenue stream.

And please do realize, these enforcements have not been warranted by any court, established by any actual evidence found in possession of the user, or any other meaningful due-process event. ... But I am responding to the sheer un-Constitutionality of turning user-paid, contracted service providers into free private police agencies, judges, and juries based purely on simple accusation or circumstantial evidence... all with the tacit or explicit approval of legislatures and the US legal system.)

You are not talking about state sanctions against citizens, which is the purview of the U.S. Constitution. This comes down to contract law, and the rights and responsibilities of the parties to contracts.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Expand your moderator at work