All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jut22
join:2012-09-18
Indiana, PA

jut22 to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm

Re: Verizon DSL speed drop. Can someone review my line?

i took my westell out of bridge mode. heres the
-advanced wan statistics:

Connection Rate (Down/Up): 2528 Kbps / 352 Kbps
Connection Status In Packets
Out Packets 663
In Error Packets
Out Error Packets 0
IP Network Address PPP
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS 72.95.150.217
Ethernet Status In Packets
Out Packets 8034
ATM NetworkAddress VPI
VCI 0
Firewall Status Passed
Dropped In: 0 Out: 0
In: 0 Out: 0

-Transceiver Statistics:

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2528 352
Margin (dB) 14.7 11.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 53.1 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.8 11.9

Also: There's stats for System Logging, Full Status/System wide Monitoring of Connections and Traffic Monitoring. If you need those let me know and I'll post. Thanks for your time and forgive my ignorance on this stuff.
drjunky9
join:2005-09-14
Taneytown, MD

1 recommendation

drjunky9

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2528 352

I'm not an expert, but the current values you have indicate you are getting some weird speed, likely "optimized". If you have a solid 3mbps line you should be at something like 3360/860 or something around those numbers (I don't remember the exact values). Your true speed is what you are currently seeing right now, about 2.2/.2 after the overhead.

Margin (dB) 14.7 11.0

Most people recommend your values should be at minimum 10db or higher, but strangely your upstream has a lower value. From what I have seen is that most other people the upstream has a higher value than the downstream.

Line Attenuation (dB) 53.1 31.5

Not seeing much wrong here. I believe this indicates you aren't exactly all that close, but should still be able to get 3mbps.

Transmit Power (dBm) 19.8 11.9

This seems okay to me, but I'm not quite sure if it's normal. It seems similar in value to mine, but lower transmit power is better if it can be done.

Have you tried:

1) Powering off and back on the modem to reboot it?
2) If your NID has a test port and if you have a laptop or super long ethernet cable, take it outside to the NID/phone box outside your house and connect the modem to the test port and gather the statistics there to see if you get the same values or better numbers. (Check if you still have a test port before taking the modem outside. I have a dry loop and at some point Verizon removed my test port, which I think boosted my line stats as I originally only got 1.5mbps).

That is what I sometimes do the rare times I see weird values. Sometimes a reboot will cause my modem to resync to better value, but if your line has some issues, it's likely to go back to your lower speed. The NID test will tell you if the wiring in your house is okay if you receive the same values. If you receive better values at the NID, you could have some bad wiring in the house which is not covered by Verizon (home owner responsibility).

As something for you to compare to, my line was getting ~2.5mbps, but strangely enough the automated optimizer decided to bump me up to ~2.9 for some unknown reason after several months of the 2.5 speed. The margin is probably the far edge of stability, but my line is actually rock solid for speed if I run downloads for several hours as a test.

My numbers:
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3320 860
Margin (dB) 6.2 11.5
Line Attenuation (dB) 50.4 30.4
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.7 12.2

In regards to your ping test, the only thing that really tells me is that there was some slowdown around the area of the Verizon-Alter.net routers. Could have been temporary congestion, but is not the root cause of your 2/.2 speed. That problem is due to your modem currently set for those speeds, so maybe try the couple of things above I suggested.

Meteor Dive
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Silver Spring, MD

3 edits

Meteor Dive to jut22

MVM

to jut22
I'm curious but what did the verizon tech do in your initial post that alleviated the problem? What drjunky9 See Profile mentioned earlier about being auto-provisioned to a lower speed could have happened to combat some unexpected noise. I'm more curious to see what your stats would look like if the dslam set your speed back above 3000.

Not to mention your attenuation is already quite high at the lower speed setting indicating that perhaps you have a decent amount of signal loss somewhere that could potentially be out of your control (like a noisy pair at the pole outside for example).

Edit: credited wrong user :P whoops.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by Meteor Dive:

What aefstoggaflm See Profile mentioned earlier about being auto-provisioned to a lower speed could have happened to combat some unexpected noise...

No you got it wrong.

The user who said talked about auto-provisioned in this thread was thelanboy See Profile

Direct link to their post »Re: Verizon DSL speed drop. Can someone review my line?

Meteor Dive
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Silver Spring, MD

3 edits

Meteor Dive

MVM

Huh? I wasn't quite talking about the possible manipulation from verizon.

I was more talking about the auto-adjustment that occurs at the circuit level between the modem and the DSLAM to compensate for noise when a disruption occurs while the two modules are re-negotiating during the sync phase.

(or as drjunky9 See Profile phrased it: 'optimized')

Sorry if that was misleading. It was something I coined back in the days when I was troubleshooting service throughput.

Edit: Oh I see, I credited wrong person earlier it seems. whoops.